header Notes Collection
Top

25 Pfennig 1921, Domnau, Germany

Manfred Mehl. Deutsche Serienscheine Number: 280.1
Years of issue: 01.08.1921
Edition: --
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: Notgeld of East Prussia (today Russia)
Specimen of: 01.08.1921
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 90 х 60
Printer: Karl Flemming & C. T. Wiskott A. G., Glögau

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

25 Pfennig 1921, Domnau

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Furrows.

Avers:

25 Pfennig 1921, Domnau

Domnau Domnau Domnau Domnau

Domnau DomnauThe view of destruction in Domnau, East Prussia during the First World War in 1914.

Domnovo (Russian: Домново; German: Domnau; Polish: Domnowo; Lithuanian: Dumnava) is a rural locality (a settlement) in Pravdinsky District of Kaliningrad Oblast, Russia, located near the Poland-Russia border, about 40 kilometers (25 mi.) southeast of Kaliningrad, the administrative center of the oblast, and 12 kilometers (7.5 mi.) west of Pravdinsk, the administrative center of the district.

Before 1945 the area belonged to Germany as part of Landkreis Bartenstein in the Province of East Prussia.

A few kilometers away is the Russian-Polish border. River Zaprudnaya flows through the village. From the south to the village adjacent pine forest. Located on two hills, one before the fortress was located, and the other - Lutheran Church.

The Baltic Prussenstamm the Natang settled in the XIII century in the south of the river Pregel altitude area Tummonis. The name refers to sedimentary rocks and thickets (Old Prussian Tums: dense, thickened). In the Christburger Treaty of 1249 between the Teutonic Order and the Prusai / Prußen is this area that the city Domnau gave his name later, first mentioned. At that time there was a location at the Gerlach Natangerburg, that the German Order conquered the late XIII century and replaced by own fortress. A Castle for a settlement, In the 1321 was built the castle. 1400 awarded the Grand Master of the Teutonic Order Konrad von Jungingen the place as Domnau (municipal law). In Prussian war (in 1458) the town and castle were destroyed. As a reward for their military service of the Grand Master of the Heinrich Reffle von Richtenberg German Order the city was restiored by Konrad von Egloffstein and Hartung of Egloffstein, as a fief. Konrad von Egloffstein built on an island in the river, a new palace, and the remnants of the old castle were demolished in 1474.

Between the XVI and XVIII centuries suffered Domnau under seven city fires. 1778 Domnau castle was extended and renovated by the Chamber of Lords of Witten. With the Prussian administrative system in 1815 was Domnau (1927 in district Bartenstein renamed) incorporated into the county Friedland and was the seat of the district office. A railway connection not received Domnau, the nearest railway station was in Preußisch Eylau, five kilometers away. In 1880 lived 2082 inhabitants in Domnau. Already at the beginning of the First World War the town was destroyed in 1914 to two-thirds, but was rebuilt using its twin town Schöneberg in Brandenburg in 1916 again.

In 1945 Domnau was partially destroyed, but the church has remained well preserved. The local German population fled or was expelled until 1948 and replaced by new residents from all over the Soviet Union. As one of the very few places in the Kaliningrad Oblast, the city has retained its historical name when renaming in 1947 in Slavic Domnovo form.

In 2006, it became the center of Domnovo rural settlement.

Above is an inscription in German: "In memory of Domnau recovery after the devastation made by Russians in 1914".

wappenIn lower left corner is stylized coat of arms of Domnau.

The coat of Domnau has been depicted red shield with gold colored eagle claw, which was a symbol of strength.

On the banknote the Domnau's coat is decorated with a black eagle of East Prussia above.

On right and left sides are flower design.

Denomination in numeral is in lower right corner.

Revers:

25 Pfennig 1921, Domnau

Domnau DomnauThe view at Marktplatz in Domnau, East Prussia. The photo made in 1920. On the photo: centered - hotel Reichshof. House on the left - the book shop of Gustav Möhrke.

Denomination in words is lower.

Comments:

The photo of Domnovo today you can see in this blog Take a rest in Domnovo!

Notgeld (German for "emergency money" or "necessity money") refers to money issued by an institution in a time of economic or political crisis. The issuing institution is usually one without official sanction from the central government. This occurs usually when sufficient state-produced money is not available from the central bank. Most notably, notgeld generally refers to money produced in Germany and Austria during World War I and the Interbellum. Issuing institutions could be a town's savings banks, municipality and private or state-owned firms.

Notgeld was mainly issued in the form of (paper) banknotes. Sometimes other forms were used, as well: coins, leather, silk, linen, postage stamps, aluminium foil, coal, and porcelain; there are also reports of elemental sulfur being used, as well as all sorts of re-used paper and carton material (e.g. playing cards). These pieces made from playing cards are extremely rare and are known as Spielkarten, the German word for "playing card".

Notgeld was a mutually-accepted means of payment in a particular region or locality, but notes could travel widely. Notgeld is different from occupation money that is issued by an occupying army during a war.