Top
header Notes Collection

100 Krooni 1935, Estonia

in Krause book Number: 66a
Years of issue: 15.10.1936
Edition: 485 000
Signatures: President: Jüri Jaakson, Direktorid: C. Kaarna, J. Rosenfeldt .
Serie: 1928 - 1935 Serie
Specimen of: 1935
Material: 100% raw cotton
Size (mm): 180 x 102
Printer: Riigi Trukikoda, Tallinn

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Krooni 1935

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Denomination "100". Branch of oak with leaves.

Avers:

100 Krooni 1935

The Blacksmith at work.

Behind a blacksmith, right - barrel with water, left - the tools.

On background are the factory buildings.

Presumably, the sequence is carried out from manual production (Blacksmith) to industrialization (a factory on the background).

Centered is an inscription: "See pangatäht on välja antud 3. mai 1927. a. rahaseaduse ja Panga põhikirja alusel." - "This banknote is issued at 3 May 1927 in association with the Money Act and the Bank's articles."

Below are stylized flowers.

Denomination is centered.

Revers:

100 Krooni 1935

The coat of arms of Estonia is at the top.

The coat of arms of Estonia depicts a golden shield, which includes three slim blue passant gardant lions with red tongues in the middle and golden oak branches along both sides of the shield.

The three lions derive from the arms of Danish king Valdemar II who had conquered northern Estonia in 1219. The lions became part of the greater coat of arms of Tallinn, the centre of Danish government in Estonia, and the knightages (ger. ritterschaften) of Harria and Viru.

In 1346, Denmark sold its Estonian dominion to the Teutonic Order after its power had been severely weakened during the St. George's Night Uprising of 1343-1346. The three lions, however, remained the central element of the greater coat of arms of Tallinn. In later centuries, the motif of the three lions transferred to the coat of arms of the Duchy of Estonia, the Ritterschaft of Estland, and to the coat of arms of the Governorate of Estonia. The Riigikogu (the state assembly) of the independent Republic of Estonia officially adopted the coat of arms on June 19, 1925.

The coat of arms was officially banned following the occupation of Estonia by the Soviet Union in 1940, and replaced with the Soviet-inspired coat of arms of the Estonian SSR.

On left and right sides from Center are the leaves of oak with acorns.

Lower is an abbreviation "EV" (Eesti Vabariik or Estonian Republic).

Under it are the Acánthus leaves.

Denominations are centered and, by small print, across all banknote field.

Comments:

Withdrawn from circulation: 25.03.1941

Banknote paper is made in Ligatne, Latvia.

Paper Mill in Ligatne is the oldest venture to produce paper. The factory was founded in 1815, in the mill building. During the days of imperial Russia the paper was produced at the paper mill in Ligatne were famous, because of high quality. In 1896 the factory was honored to put the national emblem on their products.

Designer: Günther-Friedrich Reindorff (Гюнтер-Фридрих Германович Рейндорф, 26 January 1899 - 14 March 1974).

Reyndorf

An Estonian graphic designer, book illustrator, and educator. He designed many postage stamps series, a large number of military insignia and bookplates, diplomas, various advertising sheets and currency in the late 1920s and early 1930s. His artistic style evolved under the influence of Art Nouveau and Art Deco works by Sergey Chekhonin, Ivan Bilibin, and other members of the Russian group Mir iskusstva.

Reindorff was born in Saint Petersburg and moved to Tallinn with his family in 1897. In 1905, he enrolled in the von Stieglitz Art School in Saint Petersburg. He graduated from the art school in 1913.

He designed many Estonian banknotes and coins, including the whole kroon series used beginning in 1928.

Soviet authorities appointed him a National Artist of the USSR (1969), and he was elected a corresponding member of the USSR Academy of Fine Arts (1958), during the period when Estonia was part of the Soviet Union.

From 1922 to 1932 Mr. Reindorf was an artist and consultant of Estonian State Print, where Treasury notes were printed. In 1926 he won the first prize at the competition of banknotes of Estonia.

On his designs were issued banknotes of Estonia. They are very impressive by high level of skill, filigree style, great art and printing qualities and figure prominently in the Estonian chart. On 50 Krooni banknote reproduced a picture of the northern coast of Estonia, on the 10 and 20 Krooni are placed the collective images of Estonian peasants. 100 Krooni bears image of the Blacksmith (as working class) and 5 Krooni - the Fisherman.