header Notes Collection
Top

5 Sum 1994, Uzbekistan

in Krause book Number: 75a
Years of issue: 01.07.1994
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1994 Serie
Specimen of: 01.07.1994
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 142 x 69
Printer: Harrison ans Sons Limited, UK (after 1997 Thomas De La Rue security), Hayes and High Wycombe

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Sum 1994

Description

Watermark:

watermark

On wide white space on right side of the note there is a local watermark with picture of the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Uzbekistan.

Avers:

5 Sum 1994

On the left side of the note through its width a security thread consisting of repeated white colour text “ЎЗБЕКИСТОН” (Uzbekistan) with interchanging direct and inclined letters is pressed. The dominant colours of the obverse are blue and red-brown.

In the central part of the note is the architectural fragment of the tower “Minorai Kalon” in Bukhara.

Minorai Kalon

The Kalyan minaret is a minaret of the Po-i-Kalyan mosque complex in Bukhara, Uzbekistan and one of the most prominent landmarks in the city.

The minaret, designed by Bako, was built by the Qarakhanid ruler Mohammad Arslan Khan in 1127 to summon Muslims to prayer five times a day. An earlier tower collapsed before completion. It is made in the form of a circular-pillar baked brick tower, narrowing upwards. It is 45.6 meters (149.61 ft.) high (48 meters including the point), of 9 meters (29.53 ft.) diameter at the bottom and 6 meters (19.69 ft.) overhead.

The body of the minaret is topped by a rotunda with 16 arched fenestrations, from which the muezzins summoned the Muslims in the city to prayer. There is a brick spiral staircase that twists up inside around the pillar to the rotunda. Once the minaret was believed to have had another round section above the rotunda, but now only the cone-shaped top remains. The tower base has narrow ornamental strings belted across it made of bricks which are placed in both straight or diagonal fashion. The frieze is covered with a blue glaze with inscriptions.

In times of war, warriors used the minaret as a watchtower to lookout for enemies.

About a hundred years after its construction, the tower so impressed Genghis Khan that he ordered it to be spared when all around was destroyed by his men. It is also known as the Tower of Death, because until as recently as the early twentieth century criminals were executed by being thrown from the top. Fitzroy Maclean, who made a surreptitious visit to the city in 1938, says in his memoir Eastern Approaches, "For centuries before 1870, and again in the troubled years between 1917 and 1920, men were cast down to their death from the delicately ornamented gallery which crowns it."

coat of arms

Above the tower, on white round background, is the Coat of Arms of the Republic of Uzbekistan, made in blue colour.

The state emblem of Uzbekistan was adopted on July 2, 1992. It is similar to the emblem of the previous Uzbek SSR. Like other post-Soviet republics whose symbols do not predate the October Revolution, the current emblem retains some components of the Soviet one. Prior to 1992, Uzbekistan had an emblem similar to all other Soviet Republics.

The emblem is in the form of a circle and mainly bears the national colors blue, white, and green. On the left there is a cotton plant and to the right wheat borders the coat of arms, cotton and wheat are the two major agricultural products of the country.

It is surmounted by the star of Rub El Hizb (۞), a symbol of Islam, which a majority of Uzbek profess.

In the middle, a Khumo, symbol of happiness and love of freedom, beats its wings. In the background a birds eye view of Uzbekistan is painted. The rising sun over the mountains with its sun rays rounds off the image.

The two rivers behind the bird, leading to the mountains, symbolize the Amu Darya and Syr Darya.

СЕМУРҒ

On both sides of the Coat of Arms, in ornamental pattern of geometrical form, are two “Simurg” birds, made of blue-white colour. These birds are taken from Nadir Divan-Beghi madrasah, in Bukhara, Uzbekistan.

Simurgh (Persian: سیمرغ sɪmorγ), also spelled simorgh, simurg, simoorg or simourv, is a benevolent, mythical flying creature. It is sometimes equated with other mythological birds such as Arabic Anqā (عنقاء), Persian Homā (Persian: هما‎) or Turkic Kerkés, Semrug, Semurg, Samran, and Samruk. The figure can be found in all periods of Greater Iranian art and literature and is also evident in the iconography of Georgia, medieval Armenia, the Byzantine empire, and other regions that were within the realm of Persian cultural influence. The name simurgh derives from Middle Persian Pahlavi sēnmurw (and earlier sēnmuruγ), also attested in Middle Persian Pāzand as sīna-mrū. The Middle Persian term derives in turn from Avestan mərəγō Saēnō "the bird Saēna", originally a raptor, likely an eagle, falcon, or sparrowhawk, as can be deduced from the etymological cognate Sanskrit śyenaḥ ("raptor, eagle, bird of prey") that also appears as a divine figure. Saēna is also a personal name, which is root of the name. The word was also borrowed into Armenian as siramarg "peacock".

The most prestigious award given by Fajr International Film Festival, Iran's major annual film festival, is called the Crystal Simorgh, after the mythical creature.

Under the Coat of Arms on the background of architectural detail a decorative number "5" in white colour with dark blue shade is pictured, and under it there is the text "БЕШ СЎМ" (5 Sum) in white colour with dark-blue shade. Between the numerals of "5" in the medium frame of ochre colour, there is the text "ЎЗБЕКИСТОН СЎМИ РЕСПУБЛИКА ҲУДУДИДА ҲАММА ТЎЛОВЛАР УЧУН ЎЗ ҚИЙМАТИ БЎЙИЧА ҚАБУЛ ҚИ-ЛИНИШИ ШАРТ" ("Sum payments in the republic of Uzbekistan should be recognized for its value") in blue colour which written in 2 lines. In the lower right part of the note there is an ornament in the middle of which on the green background of the rosette white coloured numeral "5" takes place mounted by light-brown line. Above the rosette there are light-brown coloured numerals "1994" meaning the year of the note specimen issue.

Between two red-blue coloured strips of both sides of the general frame the continuous micro text "ЎЗБЕКИСТОН РЕСПУБЛИКАСИ - МАРКАЗИЙБАНКИ" (Bank of Republic of Uzbekistan) of blue-red colour is located, which can be seen with a magnifier. On the ground central part of the note, on sky-blue hemstitch geometrical background, on both sides of the minaret "Minorai Kalon" are two numerals "5", made by hidden printing and seen under the refraction of sunbeams or shafts of light. On the left frame of the note, on its upper part and on the right frame on lower part, there is a serial number, consisted from seven numerals with 2 letter prefix of Latin alphabet, made in black colour.

Revers:

5 Sum 1994

The dominant colours of the reverse are blue, green and violet.

Navoi

The architectural and sculptural composition of Ali Shir Nawai Monument, placed in the National Park of Tashkent. Monument is made by blue on the background of light-blue sky merging in the middle into lilac.

The monument was erected in 1968, on Prospect Navoi in Tashkent, before the "Youth Theatre of Uzbekistan". Later, it was moved to the National Park, named by Navoi. Sculptors - Ryabichev D., K. Salakhitdinov, architect - F. Tursunov.

Monument to Alisher Navoi is situated in the center of a large national park of the same name, stretching behind the "Palace of Friendship of Peoples".

There are broad steps, climbing on them, you get to the viewing platform, which is at the center of the Rotunda and there is the monument to the great Uzbek poet of XV century - Alisher Navoi.

The interior of the dome of the Rotunda is made in oriental style.

Mīr ‘Ali-Shir Nava'i (9 February 1441 - 3 January 1501), also known as Nizām-al-Din ʿAlī-Shīr Herawī (Chagatai-Turkic/Persian: نظام الدین على شير هروی‎) was a Central Asian Turkic politician, mystic, linguist, painter, and poet. He was the greatest representative of Chagatai language literature. Because of his distinguished Chagatai language poetry, he is considered by many throughout the Turkic-speaking world to be the founder of early Turkic literature. Many places and institutions are named after Ali-Shir Nava'i.

More about his life and work you can read here (self.gutenberg.org)

In the corners of lower part of the picture, inside of the frame, two blue coloured ornamental rosettes are located in the middle of which white number "5" with linear blue edging is printed. Between them ochre coloured frame is located, in which is the text "ЎЗБЕКИСТОН СЎМИНИ ҚАЛБАКИЛАШТИРИШ ҚОНУНГА МУВОФИҚ ТАЪҚИБ ҚИЛИНАДИ" ("Counterfeiters of Uzbekistan Sums are prosecuted in accordance with the criminal law") takes place in two lines.

In the center of the note the anti-copy print in the form "X" is embedded. Under ultraviolet rays, on the obverse of the note, is the numeral "5", in the central frame in light-ochre colour, note series and number - in dark green, and on the reverse in the center of the lower part - light-ochre coloured details are visible.

Comments:

On July 1, 1994, a second sum was introduced at a rate of 1 new sum = 1000 old sum. This sum is subdivided into 100 Tiyin.

The rampant inflation situation is considered a politically sensitive issue in Uzbekistan, which is why the Uzbek government is slow to acclimate the currency to the current value by issuing higher coin and note denominations.