header Notes Collection
Top

10 Pesos 1985, Cuba

in Krause book Number: P-FX8
Years of issue: 1985
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: Exchange certificates
Specimen of: 1985
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 135 х 62
Printer: Los Talleres de Grabado en Acero y Timbre del Estado de La Habana, STC-P

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Pesos 1985

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

10 Pesos 1985

On the left side is the seal (emblem) of Cuban National Bank (Banco National de Cuba) - the coat of arms and five-pointed star on background.

On the right side is letter B - as definition of Series. Series B was intended for nationals from capitalist countries. Rate of Exchange: 1 Peso = 1 US$. Not transferable.

Denominations are in all corners and centered.

Revers:

10 Pesos 1985

Castillo de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de JaguaThe Jagua Fortress (Castillo de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua) as it looks back in 1742, when its construction were completed.

The Jagua Fortress (Spanish: Castillo de Jagua) is a fortress south of Cienfuegos in Cuba. It is located near the entrance to the Bay of Cienfuegos (Spanish: Bahia de Cienfuegos), in the port of Jagua.

The fortress, also called the castle, was erected by King Philip V of Spain (1683-1746) in 1742 to protect the bay from pirates who prowled the Caribbean coast in those days. They used it as refuge at landfall, on their way to the city of Cienfuegos (founded on April 22, 1819, by French colonists, bordering the Bay of Jagua), seeking collect water, food and other supplies. It was originally named "Castillo de Nuestra Señora de los Ángeles de Jagua".

The fort is built in solid limestone, has several floors, a well, a watch tower and a moat that was never flooded. It also has a drawbridge in perfect condition, one of the last to remain fit for use.

Since the coastal city of Cienfuegos was built at the end of the 1910s; its harbor, guarded by the fortress, became one of the most important centers of commerce in the central part of the "Island of Cuba" during that period of the colony, and to this day remains one essential port on the country's economy.

Publications and others graphic demonstrations, have been in charge for long time, that these marvels of Cuban colonial architecture, not be forgotten. This is the case of banknotes, "Exchange Certificate" of 10 pesos, Letters A (reds) and B (greens), issued during the 1980s, and taken out of circulation, "as special legal tender" in the late 1980s and early 1990s; in its back, these banknotes, have a beautiful and attractive design of that "Castle" (a great drawing) to perpetuate forever, in the Numismatics history of the Big Island of the Antilles.

In the courtyard of the fortress are the prison and a chapel. It is said, that in the castle lives the ghost haunting lives and scares security. It is the ghost of a woman in a dress of blue brocade, which was a prisoner of a dungeon fortress yard during the life.

Denominations are in all corners and centered.

Comments:

"Series B" Issue!