header Notes Collection
Top

10 Pounds Sterling 2009, Kingdom of Great Britain

in Banknotes Book Number: SC137
Years of issue: 19.01.2009
Edition: --
Signatures: Governor: Mr. J Eric Daniels, Treasurer: Mr. Archie G Kane
Serie: Scotland
Specimen of: 17.09.2007
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 142 x 75
Printer: De la Rue currency,Gateshead

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Pounds Sterling 2009

Description

Watermark:

watermarkSir Walter Scott. Denomination "10". In all corners are cornerstones.

Avers:

10 Pounds Sterling 2009

Walter ScottThe engraving on banknote is made after this portrait of Sir Walter Scott by Scottish painter Sir Henry Raeburn, 1822. Oil on canvas. Today is in Scottish National Portrait Gallery, Second floor, Gallery 7. Was purchased from private collection with assistance from the Art Fund in 1935.

Sir Walter Scott, 1st Baronet, FRSE (15 August 1771 - 21 September 1832) was a Scottish historical novelist, playwright, and poet.

Scott was the first English-language author to have a truly international career in his lifetime, with many contemporary readers in Europe, Australia, and North America. His novels and poetry are still read, and many of his works remain classics of both English-language literature and of Scottish literature. Famous titles include Ivanhoe, Rob Roy, The Lady of the Lake, Waverley, The Heart of Midlothian and The Bride of Lammermoor.

Although primarily remembered for his extensive literary works and his political engagement, Scott was an advocate, judge and legal administrator by profession, and throughout his career combined his writing and editing work with his daily occupation as Clerk of Session and Sheriff-Depute of Selkirkshire.

A prominent member of the Tory establishment in Edinburgh, Scott was an active member of the Highland Society and served a long term as President of the Royal Society of Edinburgh (1820-1832).

His portrait on banknote is in recognition of Scott's defense of the Scottish £1 note, under threat from the Westminster Parliament in 1826. Writing a series of public letters under the pseudonym "Malachi Malagrowther", Scott successfully led the campaign against currency reform in Scotland and the Scots were allowed to keep their pound notes.

Centered, at the top, is the window, which changing color when you tilting the banknote. Inside is Cotton thistle (Onopordum acanthium), which already for 500 years (this is debatable, that exactly this kind of thistle) is the Scottish logo. Also the same thistle depicted above the Bank's building (stylized).

coatThe coat of arms of the Bank of Scotland is in lower right corner.

BANK OF SCOTLAND, Governor and Company of.

"Azur a Sanct Andrew's cross argent betwixt four bezants. On a suteable helmet mantled azur, doubling argent and wreath of their colours is sett for their crest a Cornu-copia diffuseing money or, supported by two women, she on the dexter representing Abundance holding in her hand a Cornu-copia as the former, and that on the sinister representing Justice and holding in her hand a balance. The Motto in Escroll above, "Tanto uberior" ("Much richer").

Devise ("under which their notesdo circulat") being "Scotia", represented by a Lady holding in her right hand a Cornu-copia pouring out money, and in her left a thistle with these words over it, "Tanto uberior" ("Much richer").

[Granted ist March 1701, and recorded in Lyon Register 20th February

1849. The supporters are habited in green over a white underskirt].

Bank of ScotlandOn left side is a larger image of the Bank of Scotland’s head office on The Mound, Edinburgh. The view from Bank Street.

This building was made by Scottish architect David Bryce in 1864-1871.

David Bryce (1803-1876) was a Scottish architect. Born in Edinburgh, he was educated at the Royal High School and joined the office of architect William Burn in 1825, aged 22. By 1841, Bryce had risen to be Burn's partner. Burn and Bryce formally dissolved their partnership in 1845, with disputes over the building of St Mary's Church, Dalkeith, Midlothian, for the Duke of Buccleuch (a factor in the split).

With commissions for over 230 buildings during his career, Bryce is best known for perfecting the Scottish Baronial style, with which he pioneered the development of large and loosely planned country houses, for example Craigends House in Renfrewshire. His designs drew inspiration from 16th century Scottish architecture, including crow-stepped gables, turrets and carved doorways.

In his banks and public buildings, he preferred to use Italianate classical styles similar to those of Charles Barry - his design for Fettes College, Edinburgh was one of the first to revive the French château style.

He is buried in the New Calton Cemetery in Edinburgh, beside his nephew, John Bryce, also an architect. (Academic Wikipedia)

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. Centered in words.

Revers:

10 Pounds Sterling 2009

Glenfinnan viaductGlenfinnan Viaduct is a railway viaduct on the West Highland Line in Glenfinnan, Lochaber, Highland, Scotland. Located at the top of Loch Shiel in the West Highlands of Scotland, the viaduct overlooks the Glenfinnan Monument and the waters of Loch Shiel.

The West Highland Railway was built to Fort William by "Lucas and Aird", but there were delays with the West Highland Railway Mallaig Extension (Guarantee) bill for the Mallaig Extension Railway in the House of Commons as the Tory and Liberal parties fought over the issue of subsidies for public transport. This Act did pass in 1896, by which time "Lucas & Aird" (and their workers) had moved south. New contractors were needed and Robert McAlpine & Sons were taken on with "Simpson & Wilson" as engineers. "Robert McAlpine & Sons" was headed by Robert McAlpine, nicknamed "Concrete Bob" for his innovative use of mass concrete. Concrete was used due to the difficulty of working the hard schist in the area. McAlpine's son Robert, then aged 28, took charge of construction, and his younger son Malcolm was appointed his assistant.

Construction of the extension from Fort William to Mallaig began in January 1897, and the line opened on 1 April 1901. The Glenfinnan Viaduct, however, was complete enough by October 1898 to be used to transport materials across the valley. It was built at a cost of GB£18,904.

A legend long-established attached to the Glenfinnan Viaduct was that a horse had fallen into one of the piers during construction in 1898 or 1899. In 1987, Professor Roland Paxton failed to find evidence of a horse at Glenfinnan using a fisheye camera inserted into boreholes in the only two piers large enough to accommodate a horse. In 1997, on the basis of local hearsay, he investigated the Loch nan Uamh Viaduct by the same method but found the piers to be full of rubble. Using scanning technology in 2001, the remains of the horse and cart were found at Loch nan Uamh, within the large central pylon.

The viaduct is built from mass concrete, and has 21 semicircular spans of 50 feet (15 m.). It is the longest concrete railway bridge in Scotland at 416 yards (380 m), and crosses the River Finnan at a height of 100 feet (30 m.). The West Highland Line it carries is single track, and the viaduct is 18 feet (5.5 m.) wide between the parapets. The viaduct is built on a curve of 792 feet (241 m.).

The concrete used in the Glenfinnan Viaduct is mass concrete, which unlike reinforced concrete does not contain any metal reinforcement. It is formed by pouring concrete, typically using fine aggregate, into formwork, resulting in a material very strong in compression but weak in tension.

The West Highland Line connects Fort William and Mallaig, and was a crucial vein for the local fishing industry and the highlands economy in general, which suffered enormously after the Highland Clearances of the 1800s.

The line is used by passenger trains operated by ScotRail between Glasgow Queen Street and Mallaig, usually diesel multiple units. Additionally in the summer the heritage Jacobite steam train operates along the line. It is a popular tourist event in the area, and the viaduct is one of the major attractions of the line.

Glenfinnan Viaduct has been used as a location in several films and television series, including Ring of Bright Water, Charlotte Gray, Monarch of the Glen, Stone of Destiny, German Charlie and Louise, and three films of the Harry Potter film series.

The Glenfinnan Viaduct features on some Scottish banknotes. The 2007 series of notes issued by the Bank of Scotland depicts different bridges in Scotland as examples of Scottish engineering, and the £10 note features the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

Glenfinnan monumentOn right side is Glenfinnan monument.

In 1815 the Jacobite cause was no longer a political threat. Alexander Macdonald of Glenaladale, a minor branch of the Clan Donald, built a memorial tower at Glenfinnan to commemorate the raising of the standard of the Young Pretender. The tower, which is surmounted by a statue of an anonymous Highlander, was designed by the Scottish architect James Gillespie Graham. The monument's location at Glenfinnan was made possible because in 1812 a new road - built by Thomas Telford - opened between Fort William to Arisaig.

Glenfinnan monument Glenfinnan monumentSince 1938, the Glenfinnan Monument has been in the care of the National Trust for Scotland. The Trust have also constructed a visitor centre, which provides tickets, information and exhibitions, and a shop, cafe, and toilets. The tower has also become a monument to Alexander Macdonald, who died before its completion. Hundreds of Jacobite enthusiasts gather at the tower each year on 19 August to remember the Rising of 1745.

The Jacobite rising of 1745, was the attempt by Charles Edward Stuart to regain the British throne for the exiled House of Stuart. The rising occurred during the War of the Austrian Succession when most of the British Army was on the European continent. Charles Edward Stuart, commonly known as "Bonnie Prince Charlie" or "the Young Pretender," sailed to Scotland and raised the Jacobite standard at Glenfinnan in the Scottish Highlands, where he was supported by a gathering of Highland clansmen. The march south began with an initial victory at Prestonpans near Edinburgh. The Jacobite army, now in bold spirits, marched onwards to Carlisle, over the border in England. When it reached Derby, some British divisions were recalled from the Continent and the Jacobite army retreated north to Inverness where the last battle on Scottish soil took place on a nearby moor at Culloden. The Battle of Culloden ended with the final defeat of the Jacobite cause, and with Charles Edward Stuart fleeing with a price on his head, before finally sailing to permanent exile in France.

In description are 2 photos used from the page gala67.livejournal.com in Russian language.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. In words in lower right corner.

Comments:

This is the first new complete family of notes issued by the bank since 1995.