Top
header Notes Collection

10 Shillings 1967, Isle of Man

in Banknotes Book Number: IM21b
Years of issue: 1967
Edition: 267 000
Signatures: Lieutenant governor: Sir Peter Hyla Gawne Stallard (in office 1966 - 1974)
Serie: 1961 Issue
Specimen of: 1961
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 140 x 67
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Shillings 1967

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Triskelion.

Avers:

10 Shillings 1967

HM The Queen

This widely used portrait of the Queen is adapted from a painting by Pietro Annigoni. HM standing regally with a distant, but lonely aspect. The portrait is regarded by many as one of the finest portrayals of the young Queen.

It was privately commissioned by the "Worshipful Company of Fishmongers" in 1954, but not completed until 1956. The Queen displayed in white portrait room at Buckingham Palace. The painting is now displayed in Fishmongers Hall, in London.

The engraving on banknote made from this portrait.

HM depicted in Mantle of the Order of the Garter.

One of the most distinctive pieces of the wardrobe of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - England's highest chivalric order - is the Mantle, sometimes referred to as a robe, cloak, or cape. The Mantle has been used in one form or another, with varying fabrics and colors, since the 15th century. The current version is made of dark blue velvet lined with white taffeta and is accented by a red velvet hood (also lined with white taffeta), elaborate cords for closure, and white ribbons at the shoulders. The Garter Collar, with the Great George as a pendant (not visible in the portrait), is draped over the Mantle across the shoulders. (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

Order of the Garter

Various legends account for the origin of the Order. The most popular legend involves the "Countess of Salisbury" (either Edward's future daughter-in-law Joan of Kent or her former mother-in-law, Catherine Montacute, Countess of Salisbury). While she was dancing at a court ball at Calais, her garter is said to have slipped from her leg. When the surrounding courtiers sniggered, the king picked it up and returned it to her, exclaiming: "Honi soit qui mal y pense," ("Shamed be the person who thinks evil of it."), the phrase that has become the motto of the Order.

A representation of a blue garter adorned with the motto of the Order of the Garter (Honi soit qui mal y pense, "Shame on he who thinks ill of it") can be seen on various items worn by members of the Order, but a far more rare sight today is the actual Garter that comes along with the rest of the insignia. The Garter is made of a blue fabric embellished with the Order's motto and closed with a buckle. The materials and design can vary (blue velvet and diamonds or blue silk and gold, for example). (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

On the left shoulder of Her Majesty is the Order of the Garter Star.

Order of the Garter Star

This star was given to The Queen (when Princess Elizabeth) by King George VI at the time of her investiture with the Order of the Garter in 1947. The star (and accompanying badge) were originally a present from the Royal Navy to the King (when Duke of York) at the time of his wedding in 1923. The Queen wore the badge and star with the Coronation Dress during her Commonwealth tour of 1953-1954.

The Queen, as Sovereign of the Order, has a fancier Mantle than the rest of the members: hers has the longest train, which requires two Pages of Honour to manage, and a Garter Star. The rest of the members wear a Mantle with a sewn on patch depicting the heraldic shield of St. George's Cross encircled by the famous blue garter which bears the Order's motto, “Honi soit qui mal y pense” ("Shame on he who thinks ill of it"). The Queen's Mantle has a bejeweled Garter Star of metal. (The Royal Tour)

Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings

She is also wearing Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings. The wedding gift from the future King Edward VII to his bride, Alexandra of Denmark. Also known as Queen Alexandra's Cluster Earrings, these two button earrings have large pearls surrounded by diamonds - 10 larger stones each plus smaller filler stones to create a full diamond ring. Like the brooch, these passed to the Queen via Queen Mary. They're now worn primarily at evening functions.

Centered, is an emblem of Isle of Man - Triskelion.

Triskelion

A triskelion or triskele (which invariably has rotational symmetry) is a motif consisting of three interlocked spirals, three bent human legs, or three bent/curved lines extending from the center of the symbol. Both words are from Greek "τρισκέλιον" (triskelion) or "τρισκελής" (triskeles), "three-legged", from prefix "τρι-" (tri-), "three times" + "σκέλος" (skelos), "leg".

Although it appears in many places and periods including 3200 BCE Newgrange, it is especially characteristic of the Celtic art of the La Tène culture of the European Iron Age.

A triskelion is the symbol of Sicily, where it is called trinacria, as well as of the Isle of Man, Brittany, and the town of Füssen in Germany.

It is unknown how the Manx triskelion was originally adopted, and several theories have been put forward its origin. In 1607, English historian William Camden stated that it was derived from the Sicilian triskelion. In 1885 John Newton considered the Manx triskelion originated in the mid XIII century, when the Pope offered the throne of Sicily to Edmund, son of King Henry III of England. Newton noted that the wife of King Alexander III of Scotland was Henry's daughter, and that Alexander visited the English court in 1255. Later in 1266, Norway ceded the Isle of Man to the Kingdom of Scotland, and Newton considered it likely that Alexander utilized the triskelion for the arms of his new possession. It has also been suggested that the ancestry of the Manx triskelion can be traced to the triquetra in a coin of Olaf Cuaran, a X-century Norse-Gaelic warlord who was king of Northumbria and king of Dublin. Lending credibility to this theory is the current belief that the mediaeval Manx dynasty was related to that of Olaf Cuaran. However, the gap between the X century and late 13th century, when the Manx triskelion is first recorded, is wide indeed, and it has been noted that several kings from this period are known to have borne a galley as their emblem, and not a triskelion.

Early examples of the symbol are present in the Royal Arms ascribed to the King of Mann in several late XIII century armorials. The Manx triskelion also appears on the Manx Sword of State, which is popularly said to date to the time of King Olaf the Black (d. 1237), although recent analysis has shown it more likely dates to about the XV century. Another example can be seen on a XIV-century stone cross in the churchyard of Maughold. Another is example is a late XIV-century seal of Sir William le Scrope, Lord of Mann, in which the Manx triskelion is depicted in plate armour, rather than mail. Early representations of the Manx triskelion show the legs running clockwise, and later representations show the legs running in both directions.

The motto is "quocunque jeceris stabit", which is Latin and means: "whichever way you throw, it will stand". The motto dates to the XVII century, where it is first recorded as being present on Manx coinage dating to the year 1668. It is possible that the motto became associated to the Manx triskelion through these coins.

Denominations in numerals are in top left and lower right corners. In words centered.

Revers:

10 Shillings 1967

Viking ship is in centered.

During the period of Scandinavian domination there are two main epochs - one before the conquest of Mann by Godred Crovan in 1079, and the other after it. Warfare and unsettled rule characterize the earlier epoch; the later saw comparatively more peace.

The Kingdom of Mann and the Isles about the year 1100. Sodor and Mann in red.

Between about AD 800 and 815 the Vikings came to Mann chiefly for plunder; between about 850 and 990, when they settled in it, the island fell under the rule of the Scandinavian Kings of Dublin; and between 990 and 1079, it became subject to the powerful Earls of Orkney.

There was a mint producing coins on Mann between c.1025 and c.1065. These Manx coins were minted from an imported type 2 Hiberno-Norse penny die from Dublin. Hiberno-Norse coins were first minted under Sihtric, King of Dublin. This illustrates that Mann may have in fact been under the thumb of Dublin at this time.

The conqueror Godred Crovan was evidently a remarkable man, though little information about him is attainable. According to the Chronicon Manniae he subdued Dublin, and a great part of Leinster, and held the Scots in such subjection that no one who built a vessel dared to insert more than three bolts. The memory of such a ruler would be likely to survive in tradition, and it seems probable therefore that he is the person commemorated in Manx legend under the name of King Gorse or Orry. He created the Kingdom of Mann and the Isles in around 1079; it included the south-western islands of Scotland (Sodor) until 1164, when two separate kingdoms were formed from it. In 1154, the Diocese of Sodor and Man was formed under the Church of England.

The islands which were under his rule were called the Suðr-eyjar (Sudreys or the south isles, in contradistinction to the Norðr-eyjar, or the "north isles," i.e. Orkney and Shetland), and they consisted of the Hebrides, and of all the smaller western islands of Scotland, with Mann. At a later date his successors took the title of Rex Manniae et Insularum (King of Mann and the Isles). The kingdom's capital was on St Patrick's Isle, where Peel Castle was built on the site of a Celtic monastery.

Olaf, Godred's son, exercised considerable power, and according to the Chronicle, maintained such close alliance with the kings of Ireland and Scotland that no one ventured to disturb the Isles during his time (1113-1152). In 1156, his son, Godred (reigned 1153-1158), who for a short period ruled over Dublin also, lost the smaller islands off the coast of Argyll as a result of a quarrel with Somerled (the ruler of Argyll). An independent sovereignty thus appeared between the two divisions of his kingdom.

In the 1130s the Church sent a small mission to establish the first bishopric on the Isle of Man, and appointed Wimund as the first bishop. He soon after embarked with a band of followers on a career of murder and looting throughout Scotland and the surrounding islands.

During the whole of the Scandinavian period, the Isles remained nominally under the suzerainty of the Kings of Norway, but the Norwegians only occasionally asserted it with any vigour. The first such king to assert control over the region was likely Magnus Barelegs, at the turn of the 12th century. It wasn't until Hakon Hakonarson's 1263 expedition that another king returned to the Isles.

Manx Wheel crossIn all corners are Olaf Liotulfsson’s crosses and the patterns from these crosses are along all border of banknote - to be more exact, in all corners are Celtic crosses, as the top part of Olaf Liotulfsson’s crosses.

This cross design has the circle in the center symbolizing God, the motionless mover. Although the wheel cross as a whole was originally a symbol of Christ derived from the Chi-rho monogram, it came to symbolize heaven. The interlaced knot-work, so prominent on Celtic crosses represented the beginning and the end of the eternal circle.

Manx Wheel crossCeltic cross represents a unique blend of Christianity and the ancient Indo-European tradition. Cross in a circle is the ancient symbol of life and of the world order, occurring everywhere from India to Norway, however, it became the emblem of the Celtic world - Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Isle of Man. Christianity brought by the monks missionaries to Ireland back in the IV century, has absorbed all the richness and beauty of the ancient Celtic culture: the myths and legends, the elements of art, the secret knowledge of the Druids. Celtic cross is a symbol of wisdom and harmony, the link between the past and the present, the emblem of Celtic culture and the entire northern European tradition.

Olaf Liotulfsson’s crossOlaf Liotulfsson’s cross in the Old Church are in all corners of banknote. Along the frame is ancient Scandinavian pattern from this cross.

It is perhaps somewhat astonishing and disappointing that only one Viking age cross has been discovered in the parish of Ballaugh. It’s especially so when the adjacent parishes of Lezayre and particularly Jurby and Michael have such wonderful collections. Perhaps they are still waiting to be found! However, the cross that is now in the Old Church is very special, so we should perhaps be content with that!

It was discovered in the burial ground of the Old Church and brought into the safety of the church by P. M. C. Kermode in 1890, where it still stands today. It’s the oldest church monument in the parish and is a memorial to Ulf, the son of Olaf Liotulfsson. How do we know? Carved along one side of the stone, from ground level to the base of the ornate cross-head, is a runic inscription that gives just this basic fact. There is no indication of how, when or where Ulf died but the memorial certainly dates from the Scandinavian period. Although the style is very like several of the Michael stones, Kermode believed it to be by a sculptor working in the style of Gaut, who was probably the greatest designer working during the high point of the period.

He certainly believed so, as he signed his crosses, with a note that he "made this, and all in Man"! The abstract patterns are varied and ornate, including the "Manx chain" design beloved of Gaut himself and which appeared on the first Manx stamps. There is some ancient damage to the top of the slab but Kermode’s own drawing in his remarkable book, Manx Crosses, first published in 1907 and in a new edition in 1994, gives some idea of the skill of the sculptor. Slate in not an easy material to carve as it tends to flake. It is also liable to weathering, so it is remarkable that the Ballaugh cross survived around nine centuries in such good condition. Many of these carved slabs were recycled as lintels in houses and rebuilt churches.

"Olaf" is the origin of the surnames "Cowley" and "Kewley". The first element of Liotulfsson became Gaelicised into "MacLiot", and then "McLeod". But the Manx form, recorded as "Mac Corleot" in 1511, is Corlett, still found widely in the parish and once one of the most common names in Ballaugh. (Ballaugh Heritage Trust)

You can read or download the whole book here Cumming Joseph George.

Denominations in numerals are in lower corners. In words at the top.

Comments:

Designers: John H. Nicholson (1911-1988) and R.I.Pinx.

Security thread.

TDLR Portrait Bradbury Wilkinson Portrait De La Rue version of the portrait. In this version, the darker shading on the side of The Queen's face below her temple has a distinct edge, highlighting her cheekbone. In addition, the braid on her cloak is drawn more simply and regularly.

Bradbury Wilkinson version of the portrait. The distinguishing features of this portrait are the even shading on side of The Queen's face, below her temple, and the distinct highlights given to the braid on the front of Her cloak, which originates from the bow on Her left shoulder.