header Notes Collection
Top

10 Rubels 2007, Belarus

in Krause book Number: 23
Years of issue: 01.01.2000 - 01.03.2013
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 2000 Issue
Specimen of: 01.01.2000
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 110 x 60
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Rubels 2007

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Pattern of lines (form loopholes).

Avers:

10 Rubels 2007

National LibraryHistorians and culture experts consider the late 1920s as the “second Belarusian Renaissance”. At that time were developed the modern Belarusian language, Belorussian national science, culture, and education and established a sustainable government. The State Library contributed to this general development. The Library collected and kept national documentary heritage; in the Library worked Belorussian Book Chamber, Belarusian department and Belorussian Bibliographic Bureau which were important institutions of Belorussian national culture.

The Library Charter (May 1926) defined the main tasks of the Library: collection and safekeeping of printed and written materials - first of all materials on Belorussian studies; classification and bibliographic processing of materials; registration of the BSSR press, and user service. By that time the Library became the main center of the safekeeping of Belorussian national document and materials concerning Belarus.

All these materials were processed, classified and provided to the Library users among which were Institute of Belarusian Culture, the BSSR Planning Commission, Communist University of Belarus and others. Joseph Simanovky said the modern state library was not only the central state scientific institution and national book depository, but also a component of the governmental system as a state documentation and information body.

By the end of the 1920th the Library collections and the number of its users essentially increased, therefore the Jubilee House lacked for free spaces. The BSSR People’s Commissariat for Education Special Commission studied the situation and concluded that the Library needed a new building. In 1929 the BSSR Council of People’s Commissars decided to build new library premises in Krasnoarmeyskaya Street. G. Lavrov, the eminent Belorussian architect was the author of an architectural project which combined functionality and tendency to express a particular role of the Library building.

National LibraryThe opening of the new building took place in 1932 and was timed to the 10th anniversary of the Library. By this time the Library collections totaled 1 million materials, the number of its users was 9 thousand.The Library performed scientific, methodological, and bibliographic works. Thanks to these achievements in 1932 the Library was named after V.I. Lenin and re-organized into the State Library and the BSSR Bibliographic Institute.

The Library developed not only its own collections but also the whole Belorussian library system. Being the State Library, it opened its branches in other Belorussian cities: Vitebsk (1929), Mogilev (1935), Gomel (1933), and in the House of Government in Minsk (1933). After the reform of administrative and territorial division of the BSSR (1938) all these libraries were re-organized into district libraries and A.M. Gorky Governmental Library in Minsk (today the Presidential Library). The Belarusian system of district libraries was completed after the re-organization of A.S. Pushkin Minsk City Library and establishment in 1940 libraries in Grodno and Brest.

In 1934 in the Library was established a methodological section for monitoring of Belorussian libraries activities, rendering of instruction and methodological assistance, and development of methodological materials. In three years the methodological section was re-organized into a methodological office (the library science department performs today methodological work). The State Library innovated in the interlibrary loan system: the BSSR became the first Soviet republic where was implemented a “cascading” system of order sending from a village library to a republican library. Before that the interlibrary loan was used mainly by the BSSR special libraries and member republics of the USSR.

In the 1930s in the USSR the State and the Communist Party intensified their control over society. In the USSR arose totalitarian regime. Under these conditions the libraries, and first of all the State Library were regarded as not only cultural institutions, but also as ideological means forming the civil conscience. In 1923 by the recommendation of the Central Committee of Communist Party of Belarus in the Library was established an office of scientific socialism where was kept a collection of Marxist literature. In 1934 was established a special book depository destined for “the fight against the misuse of a book as an ideological weapon in the class struggle”. The special book depository existed until 1990. There were kept materials forbidden for the general use. Major part of materials kept in the special book depository was works by Belarusian authors.

The Library didn't avoid political repressions. After the article by R. Frolov “Who is at the Head of the State Library” in the central newspaper “Zvezda” (September 14th, 1937) J. Simanovsky, Y.Bibilo and other librarians were dismissed.After the World War II they were rehabilitated and returned to the Library.

Nevertheless in the 1920-30th the Library achieved a considerable success. In 1941 the Library collections totaled 2 millions materials; the number of its users was 15 thousand. The Library rated fifth among the thirty biggest libraries of the USSR. The Library became the main bibliographic and methodological center of Belarus.

In these years the Library received a new building and made a significant progress. The Library collections grew up; the Belarusian library system was developed. But the peaceful life was interrupted by the World War II which began in the USSR on July 22nd, 1941.

National LibraryDuring the war and three years of occupation the Library was harried and destroyed. 83% of the Library collections were destroyed or removed. When Minsk was liberated from Nazi invaders, only 320, 000 items remained in the Library collections. Before the war the Library collection of Belorussian national document comprised 800,000 items: collection of old printed and rare books, collection of manuscripts (including the manuscripts by the eminent Belorussian writers and poets Yanka Kupala, Yakub Kolas, Maxim Bogdanovich, Aloisa Pashkevich, Zmitrok Byadulya, and others); collections of the Belarusian department; periodicals, printed music, and foreign literature published before the October Revolution (1917). After the war, only 34, 000 items remained. The Library’s special facilities were totally destroyed; the whole card indexes on Belorussian studies (which formerly comprised more than 300, 000 records), and also thealphabetical, classified, and subject catalogues were lost. The State Library needed the complete reconstruction.

Restoration of the Library collections started during the war. In the BSSR Academy of Sciences (evacuated in Tashkent and further in Moscow) was organized a working group headed by J.Simanovsky. The task of the group was the BSSR State Library collections restoration and activities arrangement. Since the end of 1942 the Library had been receiving again a free legal deposit copy of publications issued in the BSSR, and since March 1943 - a free legal deposit copy of publications issued in the USSR.

The restoration of the Library collection was accomplished with the assistance of libraries of other Soviet republics which handed to the Library about 900, 000 books and periodicals concerning Belarus and Belarusian history and culture. Besides that, the Library signed treaties on duplicates of publications exchange with the USSR State Library, the USSR Academy of Sciences Fundamental Library, the USSR Library of foreign Literature, and the BSSR State Publishing House.

J. Simanovsky suggested the government restoring the destroyed collections at the expense of Wroclaw, Gdansk, and Konigsberg libraries book collections, but this suggestion was rejected. Nevertheless, many books removed from the Library were found by Soviet army in Prague and Konigsberg. Major part of removed books was discovered in a small town and railway station Raciborz (western Poland). More than 600, 000 books, including publications by Francysk Skaryna and L. Komarnitsky’s book collections were stored in there to be eventually sent to a German library. All these books were returned to the Library. It is said that the books had arrived in Minsk railway station were sent in the Library by a “living chain” of hundreds persons stretched from Privokzalnaya Square to Krasnoarmeyskay Street.

National LibraryLibrarians who worked in state of emergency in the destroyed city accomplished a real feat: in 1947 the Library collections were restored in quantitative ratio; bibliographic work and issuing of “Chronicles of Belarusian Press”, the year-book of current national bibliography were recommenced. The Library opened its doors to users in November 1944, when the World War II was not yet over.

The Library returned to the peaceful life.

After the war, on September 4th, 1950, the BSSR Consul of Ministers committee for cultural and educative institutions adopted the Decree “On the improvement of the BSSR V.I. Lenin State Library operation”. The Decree defined the Library’s tasks: interlibrary loan support; scientific, methodological, and bibliographic work; library and bibliographic service. The Library became the BSSR central state book depository.

National LibraryFrom year to year the Library extended its activities and duties and developed its information resources and research work. The Library exerted a profound influence on Belarusian society and economy, science and culture. As usual, the main task of the Library was the development of a universal collection, and first of all collection of Belorussian national book heritage. Besides the complete collection of publications issued in the USSR, the Library held the collection of foreign scientific materials. In 1956 the Library became one of the United Nations deposit libraries.

National LibraryThe Library was the BSSR biggest bibliographic center. It performed registration of Belorussian national press and issued “Chronicles of Belorussian Press” until 1977 when the Book Chamber was separated from the Library. A particular attention was paid to the development of recommendatory bibliography. The Library reference and bibliographic department was re-organized into the scientific and bibliographic department which performed the duties of a recommendatory bibliography center. In 1962 the Republican conference of librarians on monitoring of the BSSR bibliographic activities adopted a statute that defined the Library as a republican and methodological center of bibliography and humanities. The Library started issuing the bibliographies: recommendatory bulletin “New Books”, reference books “Social Studies”, “New literature on the History”, “New Literature on Culture and Art”, “Automated Library Systems”, and others. Besides that, the Library issued fundamental scientific and methodological reference books: “Books of Belarus, 1517-1917. Union Catalogue” (1986); “Soviet Belarus Fiction, 1917-1960” (1962); “Belorussian Soviet Dramatic Art, 1917-1965” (1967); “Belorussian History Bibliography: Feudalism and Capitalism” (1969); “Books in Russian Language Concerning Belarus Issued before the October Revolution, 1768-1917” (1976); “The BSSR Musical Literature” (1976, 1977); “The BSSR during the Great Patriotic War 1941-1945” (1980, 1990), and others.

In 1976 the Library became the Belorussian republican center of culture and art. In the Library was founded the scientific department of culture and art. The State Library headed the BSSR information centers system which was found on the basis of Belorussian district libraries in 1977. The Library started issuing publications on culture: “Chronicles of the BSSR Cultural Life”, “Information on the Issues of Culture and Art”, and a full text collection of the BSSR Ministry of Culture documents.

The State Library was coordinating Belorussian libraries activities, such as development of library collections and user service. In 1974 the Library became a coordinating center on the BSR libraries centralization. The Library’s activities, such as coordination of the BSSR libraries, implementation of innovations, improving user service, and development of library education, favored Belorussian library science. The Library studied user interests and needs, cooperated with publishing houses and developed the BSSR book-publishing. Thanks to these activities Belorussian libraries were considered to be the best libraries of the USSR.

In 1974 in the Library was organized library science department. The Library became the major Belorussian center of library science. The Library coordinated research work in the biggest Belarusian libraries and the Library department of Minsk Pedagogical Institute.

The State Library initiated the higher library education in the BSSR. As early as in 1923 Joseph Simanovsky developed a plan of library courses organizing, but the BSSR People’s Commissariat of Education didn’t approve this suggestion. This idea was realized only in the 1930s. In 1934,the two-year higher library courses (existed until 1936) and the post-graduate study (existed until 1937) were organized in the Library. After the World War II in Minsk Pedagogical Institute was organized the Library department headed by Joseph Simanovsky.

National LibraryIn 1972 the State Library of Belarus celebrated its 50th anniversary. On this occasion the Library was awarded with the Order of the Red Banner of Labor, the USSR highest prize.

Due to the growth of the Library collection and the number of users, the Library needed free spaces. In 1958-1962 in Kirov Street were built additional premises where was located a book depository. However, in 15 years it was filled up. The library had to keep its book collections in different premises in Minsk and Minsk district. The Library obviously needed a new building.

In 1989 the BSSR Council of Ministers organized a contest of the best architectural project of the Library new building. The project by architects M.K. Vinogrdov and V.V. Kramarenko won the contest. The architects developed an original composition which is named today as “The Belorussian Diamond”. The building should have been started in the early 1990s, but this project was realized only in ten years.

In 1991 the independence of the Republic of Belarus was proclaimed. The Library became the center of Belorussian national library system. In 1992 the BSSR V.I. Lenin State Library was renamed into the National Library of Belarus (NLB).

According to the Republic of Belarus law “On Library Science in the Republic of Belarus” the National Library is a unique and multi-functional Belorussian library center, the major universal scientific library, the keeper of universal spiritual values, and the treasury of Belorussian people’s cultural heritage and national memory. The Library had to face new challenges caused by the reorganization of political system, new economic circumstances, and global technological progress.

Development of the information society and modern technologies, and automating of library activities provided the National Library with new opportunities. As far back as in 1989 the Library started developing and implementing the republican automated information library system. As a result, acquisition, cataloging, user service, and other library activities were automated. In 1993 the Library launched the development of its own electronic information resources including electronic catalog and bibliographic, factual, graphic, and full text databases (“History of Belarus”, “Culture and Art of Belarus”,“Chernobyl”, “Belarus in Persons and Events", “Bibliology”).

National LibraryLike many big libraries of the world, the NLB lacked free spaces. The Library old premises couldn’t satisfy the Library and users needs. In these circumstances the Library couldn’t perform its duties. Thus the Library needed the urgent help from the State.

The NLB urgent issues were discussed by the Republic of Belarus Supreme Council and widely covered by Belorussian mass media. The Belorussian Government made the decision to continue works on the Library new building. At the beginning of the 21st century (March 7th, 2002), the President of the Republic of Belarus issued a Resolution “On the construction of new premises of the National Library of Belarus”. The Belorussian people should have not only a unique and beautiful building, but also a modern library which would be the Belorussian national information portal providing access to the world information resources.

In summer 2004 the Belorussian Government made the decision to organize a national information center in the National Library of Belarus. In May 2005 the “Conception of the Belorussian national information, social and cultural center in the new building of the National Library of Belarus” was adopted. The document defined new activities and duties of the Library.

Construction of the new premises of the National Library of Belarus was a significant event of Belorussian cultural and social life and the new stage of the Library development. Since then both the Belorussian society and the Government have paid a particular attention to the Library. At the opening ceremony on June 16th, 2006, President of the Republic of Belarus Alexander Lukashenko said: "National Library of Belarus is the embodiment of the power and prosperity of our homeland, creativity and energy of Belorussian people". With the governmental support the Library performs its main task - safekeeping of Belorussian national memory. (www.nlb.by)

Revers:

10 Rubels 2007

Denomination is centered.

Comments:

Withdrawn from circulation since March 1, 2013.

10 rubles series of 2000 were issued in 31 prefixes: БА, ББ, БВ, БГ, БЕ, БЗ, БИ, ВК, ВЛ, НА, НА, НВ, МА, МБ, МВ, ГА, ГБ, ГВ, ГГ, ГД, РА, РБ, РГ, ТА, ТБ, ТВ, ТГ, СМ, СН, СП, СР.

Series ВК, ВЛ, НА, НБ, НВ - in 2002-2003; МА, МБ, МВ - in 2004; ГА, ГБ, ГВ, ГГ, ГД - in 2006; РА, РБ, РГ - in 2007; ТА, ТБ, ТВ, ТГ - in 2008; СМ, СН, СП, СР - in 2009; Га, Гб - in 2012; Еб, Ев - in 2013; БИ, ВЛ, НВ, МВ, ГД, РГ, ТГ, СР - the last or additional series, they cost a little more expensive then usual ones. (belbonistika.com .rus)