Top
header Notes Collection

50 Dollars 2007, Bermuda

in Krause book Number: 54b
Years of issue: 07.05.2007
Edition: 265 426
Signatures: Chairman: Mr. R. Alan F. Richardson (2006 - 30.09.2009) , Director: Mr. Robert Steinhoff
Serie: 2000 - 2007 Issue
Specimen of: 24.05.2000
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 140 х 68
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Dollars 2007

Description

Watermark:

watermark 50 doll 2007

Thunnus. It is a genus of ocean-dwelling ray-finned bony fish from the Scombridae (Mackerel) family.

Security thread.

Avers:

50 Dollars 2007

Queens photoThe engraving from the official photograph, taken at Buckingham Palace by Terry O'Neill, an English photographer, in 1992.

On the Queen:

King George IV started a practice in the British royal family which continues today: the awarding of family orders. These are diamond-set portraits of the monarch suspended from a silk bow (the color varying by reign), and they are today given to female royal family members of the sovereign's choosing as a personal gift.

Royal Family Order George V

Queen Elizabeth was first given her grandfather George V's order, set on pale blue silk.

Royal Family Order George VI

Followed by her father George VI's, on pink silk, and she wears them both today. (A royal lady can wear all the family orders she has at once.) The orders are positioned on the left shoulder. They are worn for the most formal events, and can usually be seen on the Queen when she's at a tiara event.

In most renditions of this portrait, the Royal Family Order of King George VI is apparent below the left-hand shoulder of Her Majesty, while the uppermost portion of the Royal Family Order of King George V is apparent in only some renditions of the portrait. (Her majesty's Jewel Vault)

The Burmese Ruby Tiara.

Burmese Tiara

Commissioned by the Queen from Garrard in 1973, this tiara includes two of the Queen's wedding presents: rubies from Burma, and diamonds taken from the Nizam of Hyderabad Tiara. It was the only ruby tiara the Queen used until the Oriental Circlet came into her possession following the Queen Mother's death. ("From her Majesty's Jewel vault").

The Ruby and Diamond Swag Demi-Parure.

The Ruby and Diamond Swag Demi-Parure

Another of the modern sets of jewelry owned by the Queen is this demi-parure of a necklace and earrings in rubies and diamonds. The necklace is a diamond swag design set in gold and centered around 2 large rubies. The matching earrings each include a central ruby set in a diamond swirl.

According to Leslie Field in The Queen's Jewels, this set was a gift from Sheikh Khalifa bin Hamad Al Thani, who was the Emir of Qatar from 1972-1995. He presented the set during a state visit to Britain in November 1985. They've been in rotation among the Queen's ruby jewels ever since, even making a couple of appearances at the State Opening of Parliament. ( "From her Majesty's Jewel vault")

On the right side is a hologram window with sailing ship and abbreviation BMA (Bermuda Monetary authority) inside. Presumably, it is a Dinghy.

On the left side, in the watermark window, are sea waves. Lower, centered, is a sea shell.

Lower, on the right side, is a sea turtle.

Cheloniidea

Tortuga Blanco - The green sea turtle (Chelonia mydas), also known as the green turtle, black (sea) turtle, or Pacific green turtle, is a large sea turtle of the family Cheloniidae. It is the only species in the genus Chelonia. Its range extends throughout tropical and subtropical seas around the world, with two distinct populations in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. The common name comes from the usually green fat found beneath its carapace. There are two major subpopulations, the Atlantic and the eastern Pacific subpopulations. Each population is genetically distinct, with their own set of nesting and feeding grounds within the population's known range. The green turtle was commonly used for turtle soup in the United States.

Centered, on the background is Commissioner's House building.

commissioners house bermuda

Located at the Bermuda Maritime Museum complex of the Dockyard, Commissioner's House once used to be the home of the Dockyard Commissioner and thus the name. This is a grand Georgian House built in 1820s and the first ever cast iron house in the world. In fact the frame of the building was cast in England and then brought to Bermuda. The commissioner who was the overall in-charge of the dockyard, used to live in this building between 1827-1837. After that, the building was taken over by the British army.

In 1862, the house became Royal Marine barracks. Subsequently during the World War II, it was used as the allied headquarters for North Atlantic submarine radio interception. Bermuda Maritime Museum took up the biggest restoration project ever in the island to restore this building over 25 long years. It was finally opened to public in the year 2000.

If you have interest in the days of Slavery in Bermuda and how the life of the Bermudian slaves used to be, you must visit this place that has some of the best collections of exhibits and artifacts of that period, such as rare Bermuda coin, map, archival, and art collections.

Denominations in numerals are in three corners. In words in center.

Revers:

50 Dollars 2007

On the left side - scuba divers explore the wreckage of the medieval Spanish ship "Santa Lucia". Image of "Santa Lucia" is above.

1584. January 11. The Spanish ship Santa Lucia was wrecked off Bermuda. Captained by Juan Lopez, she had been part of a fleet of ships that had left Spain for the Indies in 1583. She was not carrying any merchandise or treasure and her function was that of a courier ship, carrying government, financial and private documents, as well as gathering information on the progress and condition of the fleet, and of the various port cities visited. Once the fleet reached Vera Cruz in Mexico, she was to return home as soon as possible. However, en route from Vera Cruz, via Havana, to Spain, she ran into a storm and was unable to negotiate Bermuda’s reef-strewn waters.

The map of Bermuda is on top.

On the right side, in the watermark window, are sea waves.

Lower, right, is a compass rose, sometimes called a windrose. It is a figure on a compass, map, nautical chart or monument used to display the orientation of the cardinal directions: North, East, South and West and their intermediate points. It is also the term for the graduated markings found on the traditional magnetic compass.

The Coat of arms of Bermuda is lower, in the middle.

coat of arms

The coat of arms of Bermuda depicts a red lion holding a shield that has a depiction of a wrecked ship upon it. The red lion is a symbol of England and alludes to Bermuda’s relationship with that country. The wrecked ship is the Sea Venture, the flagship of the Virginia Company. The ship was deliberately driven on to the reefs of Bermuda, by Admiral Sir George Somers, in 1609, to prevent it from foundering in a storm. All aboard survived, resulting in the settlement of the island. The Latin motto under the coat of arms, Quo Fata Ferunt, means “Whither the Fates Carry [Us]”.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. In words in lower right corner.

Comments:

Withdrawn from circulation 01.01.2014

TDLR engraving British American Banknote CompanyThis interpretation of Terry O'Neill's photograph was engraved by Alan Dow of De La Rue for banknotes designed by that company. This version of the portrait shows The Queen with an elongated face and full eyebrows.

This version of the portrait was prepared by the British American Banknote Company. In this portrait The Queen appears to have a rounder face and narrow eyebrows. This image, unlike the De La Rue image, also suggests The Queen has forced her smile.