header Notes Collection
Top

50 Schilling 1970. Second issue, Austria

in Krause book Number: 144
Years of issue: 02.01.1970 (1983)
Edition: --
Signatures: Präsident: Dr. Wolfgang Schmitz, Generaldirektor: Dr. Hans Kloss, Generalrat: Dr. Raimund Gebhard
Serie: 1966 - 1970 Issue
Specimen of: 02.01.1970
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 140 х 70
Printer: Oesterreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck, Wien

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Schilling 1970. Second issue

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Along all sides are flower petals.

Avers:

50 Schilling 1970. Second issue

Ferdinand Raimund

The engraving on banknote was made from lithograph by Austrian lithographer and painter Josef Kriehuber made in 1835.

Ferdinand Raimund (born Ferdinand Jakob Raimann; 1 June 1790 - 5 September 1836, Pottenstein, Lower Austria) was an Austrian actor and dramatist.

Ferdinand Raimund was the son of immigrant Bohemian Drechsler Master Jacob Raimann. After the death of his father in 1804, he was learning in the confectionery of the Imperial Household, founded by Ludwig Dehne, later Hofzucker-bakery.

To be an actor, he finally gave up his craft. In 1808 he joined itinerant comedians and went on tour with them through the province.

Later he was rejected due to a speech impediment and terminated in Bratislava one day after his debut. From 1809 to 1814 he toured with various theatrical companies in western Hungary.

In 1811, he acted at the Theater in der Josefstadt, and, in 1817 at the Leopoldstädter Theater. In 1823 he produced his first play, Der Barometermacher auf der Zauberinsel, which was followed by Der Diamant des Geisterkönigs (1824). The still popular Bauer als Millionär (1826), Der Alpenkönig und der Menschenfeind (1828) and Der Verschwender (1834), Incidental music by Conradin Kreutzer, are Raimund's masterpieces. Raimund's comedies are still frequently performed in Austria today.

On the left side is a coat of arms.

coat

The current coat of arms of Austria, albeit without the broken chains, has been in use by the Republic of Austria since 1919. Between 1934 and the German annexation in 1938 Austria used a different coat of arms, which consisted of a double-headed eagle. The establishment of the Second Republic in 1945 saw the return of the original (First Republic) arms, with broken chains added to symbolise Austria's liberation.

The blazon of the Federal Arms of the Republic of Austria reads:

Gules a fess Argent, escutcheon on the breast of an eagle displayed Sable, langued Gules, beaked Or, crowned with a mural crown of three visible merlons Or, armed Or, dexter talon holding sickle, sinister talon holding hammer, both talons shackled with chain broken Argent.

The symbols and emblems used in the Austrian arms are as follows:

The Eagle: Austria's sovereignty (introduced 1919)

The escutcheon Emblem of Austria (late Middle Ages, reintroduced 1915)

The mural crown: The middle class (introduced 1919)

The sickle: Agriculture (introduced 1919)

The Hammer: Industry (introduced 1919)

The broken chains: Liberation from National Socialist dictatorship (added 1945).

Denominations in numerals are in three corners, in words top, centered.

Revers:

50 Schilling 1970. Second issue

Burgtheater Burgtheater

Burgtheater in Vienna, Austria.

In 1805, "Numero" (as seller of sweets and refreshments in National Burgtheater) Ferdinand Raimund made his first acquaintance with the theater. Then he visited Theater mor often and finally, decided to give up his work and become an actor.

After the Comédie Francaise, the Burgtheater in Vienna is Europe’s second-oldest theatre. Today, the Burgtheater, originally known as the K. K. Hoftheater nächst der Burg, complete with its three affiliated venues - the Akademietheater, Kasino and Vestibül - and a permanent ensemble of more than 80 actors and actresses, is one of Europe’s largest theatres and plays a seminal role in the German-speaking theatrical world. Every season, the Burgtheater and its affiliated venues welcome approximately 400,000 theatre-goers to some 800 performances.

On 14th March 1741, the theatre manager Joseph Selliers was authorised by Empress Maria Theresia to let a vacant banqueting hall next to the Hofburg palace to theatrical companies. In 1776 the Teutsches Nationaltheater, as it was then called, was placed under court administration by royal decree by Maria Theresia’s son Joseph II. This marked the beginning of the heyday of German-language theatre in Vienna. In 1794, the theatre was renamed K.K. Hoftheater nächst der Burg. After 130 years of operation, the company’s new theatre building, designed by Gottfried Semper und Karl Hasenauer, opened its doors on the Ringstraße boulevard on 14th October 1888, after fourteen years of construction. The Burgtheater was the last link in the chain of sumptuous structures built around the Ringstraße, and its magnificent façade has made it one of Vienna’s popular tourist attractions.

In September 1922, the Akademietheater on Lisztstraße was affiliated as an additional stage. During the last days of the Second World War, the Burgtheater was extensively damaged by a bombing raid and a fire of unknown origin, and the company took up temporary residence at the Etablissement Ronacher, a variety theatre. In 1955 the company returned to its home on the Ringstraße which had been restored to its former glory and equipped with up-to-date technology.

Since March 2014 Karin Bergmann is the interim director of the Burgtheater. (Burgtheater)

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words lower, centered.

Comments:

Issued in circulation in 1983. Second Issue!

Designer: Roman Hellmann.

Born in 1921 in Schwarzach-St. Veit (Salzburg).

Graphic designer. Studied at the Academy of Applied Arts in Vienna. At the beginning of his work commissioned graphic examples for "Elin, Felten & Guilleaume", the Austrian Chamber of Commerce and the Cultural Department of the City of Vienna. From 1952 until his retirement, in 1978, banknote designer at the Austrian National Bank. Hellmann conducted in the National Bank the transition from employment freelance artist out to fix a salaried graphic designers. Designed all Austrian banknotes from 20 shillings 1956 to 50 schilling of 1970th. In addition, design of numerous test scores and advertising on behalf of "De La Rue Giori".