header Notes Collection
Top

100 Schilling 1960, Austria

in Krause book Number: 138a
Years of issue: 25.09.1961
Edition: --
Signatures: Generalrat: Dr. Ludwig Strobel, Präsident: Dr. Reinhard Kamitz, Generaldirektor: Dr. Franz Stöger - Marenpach
Serie: 1956 - 1965 Issue
Specimen of: 01.07.1960
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 75
Printer: Oesterreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck, Wien

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Schilling 1960

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

100 Schilling 1960

Johann Strauss

The engraving on banknote based, presumably, on the photo of Johann Strauss, made in Vienna, in 1898 by "K.U.K Hof Photograph".

The name Johann Strauss is inseparably linked with the Viennese waltz, indeed he is the very personification of the waltz. The eldest son of Johann Strauss senior was born in Vienna on October 25, 1825.

In 1844 he established himself as a conductor and composer against his father’s will, but with the support of his mother, thereby becoming his father’s rival. After the death of his father, Strauss stepped into the role of successor and musical heir. Johann Strauss composed and played himself into the hearts of the Viennese with energy and tireless dedication.

For every special occasion, whether a ball or festivities staged by prestigious companies, or an event of topical interest, Strauss created a special piece which delighted the ear and was hummed by an adoring public. But Strauss’ music did not bewitch the Viennese alone. He undertook concert tours to heighten the fame of his ensemble by means of the press reports of his success that would reach the Austrian capital from abroad. During several summers Strauss made guest appearances in the Russian town of Pavlovsk near St. Petersburg. He also went on a major concert tour through the United States. Strauss cultivated friendships with the ”serious” musicians of his day, some of whom held him in high regard.

The repertory of the Strauss orchestra included not only light music, but also works by Wagner and other opera composers. Strauss, who frequently turned over the conductor’s baton to his brothers, Josef and Eduard, composed a number of operettas which achieved great popularity, for example Die Fledermaus, A Night in Venice and The Gypsy Baron. His waltzes continue to resound through ballrooms all over the world to this day, and with the ”Blue Danube” waltz he created what is Austria’s unofficial national anthem. Johann Strauss, the ”Waltz King”, died in Vienna on June 3, 1899. (Austria info)

At the bottom are the violin and music sheet. The notes, are visible on the engraving, is the waltz "The Blue Danube." This tune, since a long time already, is the call sign of the Austrian Radio International.

Also, at the bottom and on the right side, presumably, are the branches of an olive tree.

coat

The current coat of arms of Austria, albeit without the broken chains, has been in use by the Republic of Austria since 1919. Between 1934 and the German annexation in 1938 Austria used a different coat of arms, which consisted of a double-headed eagle. The establishment of the Second Republic in 1945 saw the return of the original (First Republic) arms, with broken chains added to symbolise Austria's liberation.

The blazon of the Federal Arms of the Republic of Austria reads:

Gules a fess Argent, escutcheon on the breast of an eagle displayed Sable, langued Gules, beaked Or, crowned with a mural crown of three visible merlons Or, armed Or, dexter talon holding sickle, sinister talon holding hammer, both talons shackled with chain broken Argent.

The symbols and emblems used in the Austrian arms are as follows:

The Eagle: Austria's sovereignty (introduced 1919)

The escutcheon Emblem of Austria (late Middle Ages, reintroduced 1915)

The mural crown: The middle class (introduced 1919)

The sickle: Agriculture (introduced 1919)

The Hammer: Industry (introduced 1919)

The broken chains: Liberation from National Socialist dictatorship (added 1945).

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words at the top, centered.

Revers:

100 Schilling 1960

Schönbrunn Palace Schönbrunn Palace

Schönbrunn Palace (Schloss Schönbrunn) is a former imperial 1,441-room Rococo summer residence in modern Vienna, Austria. One of the most important cultural monuments in the country, since the 1960s it has been one of the major tourist attractions in Vienna. The palace and gardens illustrate the tastes, interests, and aspirations of successive Habsburg monarchs.

In the year 1569, Holy Roman Emperor Maximilian II purchased a large floodplain of the Wien river beneath a hill, situated between Meidling and Hietzing, where a former owner, in 1548, had erected a mansion called Katterburg. The emperor ordered the area to be fenced and put game there such as pheasants, ducks, deer and boar, in order to serve as the court's recreational hunting ground. In a small separate part of the area, "exotic" birds such as turkeys and peafowl were kept. Fishponds were built, too.

The name Schönbrunn (meaning "beautiful spring"), has its roots in an artesian well from which water was consumed by the court.

During the next century, the area was used as a hunting and recreation ground. Especially Eleonora Gonzaga, who loved hunting, spent much time there and was bequeathed the area as her widow's residence after the death of her husband, Ferdinand II. From 1638 to 1643, she added a palace to the Katterburg mansion, while in 1642 came the first mention of the name "Schönbrunn" on an invoice. The origins of the Schönbrunn orangery seem to go back to Eleonora Gonzaga as well.

Following the downfall of the monarchy in 1918 the newly founded Austrian Republic became the owner of Schönbrunn Palace and preserved, as a museum, the rooms and chambers.

After World War II and during the Allied Occupation of Austria (1945-1955) Schönbrunn Palace, which was empty at the time, was requisitioned to provide offices for both the British Delegation to the Allied Commission for Austria and for the Headquarters for the small British Military Garrison present in Vienna.

Later it was used for important events such as the meeting between John F. Kennedy and Nikita Khrushchev in 1961.

UNESCO catalogued Schönbrunn Palace on the World Heritage List in 1996, together with its gardens, as a remarkable Baroque ensemble and example of synthesis of the arts (Gesamtkunstwerk).

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words centered, at the top.

Comments:

Issued in circulation: 25.09.1961

Security thread.

Designer: Roman Hellmann.

Born in 1921 in Schwarzach-St.Veit (Salzburg).

Graphic designer. Studied at the Academy of Applied Arts in Vienna. At the beginning of his work commissioned graphic examples for "Elin, Felten & Guilleaume", the Austrian Chamber of Commerce and the Cultural Department of the City of Vienna. From 1952 until his retirement, in 1978, banknote designer at the Austrian National Bank. Hellmann conducted in the National Bank the transition from employment freelance artist out to fix a salaried graphic designers. Designed all Austrian banknotes from 20 shillings 1956 to 50 schilling of 1970th. In addition, design of numerous test scores and advertising on behalf of "De La Rue Giori".

Engraver: Alfred Nefe (1923-) studied engraving under, among others, Professor Hans Ranzoni. Nefe's career at the Austrian National Bank began in 1948, and ended with his retirement in 1978. Created many well-known post stamps of the Austrian Republic.