header Notes Collection

100 Korun 1989, Czechoslovakia

in Krause book Number: 97
Years of issue: 01.10.1989
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1985 - 1989 Issue
Specimen of: 01.10.1989
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 147 х 67
Printer: STC-Prague. Statni Tiskarna Cenin, Praha

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Korun 1989



100 Korun 1989

Linden leaves and stars.


100 Korun 1989

100 Korun 1989

Klement Gottwald (23 November 1896 - 14 March 1953) was a Czechoslovak communist politician and longtime leader of the Communist Party of Czechoslovakia (KSČ or CPCz or CPC). He was Prime Minister of Czechoslovakia from 1946 to 1948 and President from 1948 to 1953.

A cabinet maker by training, he joined the Social Democratic Party in 1912. He was drafted into the Austro-Hungarian Army during World War I, but defected to the Russians late in the war.

A charter member of the KSČ in 1921, he edited the party's newspaper in Bratislava from 1921 to 1926. From 1925 onward he was a member of the KSČ Central Committee. In 1927, he became secretary-general of the KSČ, and two years later he was elected to the National Assembly. He became a secretary of the Comintern in 1935, a post he held until its dissolution in 1943.

After the Munich Agreement of 1938, Gottwald spent the next seven years in exile in Moscow. From 1939 onward he was one of the leaders of the Czech resistance.

In March 1945, Edvard Beneš, who had been elected President of Czechoslovakia 1935-38 and who had been head of the Czechoslovak Government-in-Exile in London since 1941, agreed to form a National Front government with Gottwald. As part of the deal, Gottwald became deputy premier under Zdeněk Fierlinger.

In 1946, Gottwald gave up the secretary-general's post to Rudolf Slánský and was elected to the new position of party chairman. That March, he led the party to an astonishing 38% of the votes. This was easily the KSČ's best performance in an election. As it turned out, it would be the best showing by a European Communist party in a free election.

Left of him is a stylized red star - the emblem of Communist Party of Czechoslovakia.

100 Korun 1989

Centered, on the top is an emblem of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic.

In November 17, 1960 Act No.163 introduced a new national emblem (designed by M.Hegar), which was supposed to represent the so called "completion of the building of socialism" in Czechoslovakia. In fact, the emblem was at variance with the rules of heraldry, though it did at least preserve the lion as a symbol of the land of Bohemia.

The national emblem of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic is represented by a red shield in the shape of a Hussite pavis with a five-pointed star at the top and a white two-tailed lion rampant with a red escutcheon on its chest showing a blue silhouette of Mount Kriváò and a bonfire in gold color.

Bottom left are four rhombuses for visually impaired.

Denominations in numerals are on the left side vertically, in top left and bottom right corners. In words centered.


100 Korun 1989

Prague: The Lesser Town Bridge Towers, Hotel At The Three Ostriches, The Church of Saint Nicholas (Czech: Kostel svatého Mikuláše), Saint Thomas Church (Czech: Kostel svatého Tomáše), Hradčany of Prague, St.Vitus Cathedral, Prague Castle.

100 Korun 1989 100 Korun 1989

Lesser Town Bridge Towers.

The Lesser Town Bridge Tower (Malostranské mostecké věže) is situated at one end of Charles Bridge and forms part of an ancient gate to the Lesser Town.

The tower was built under the rule of King George of Podebrady in the second half of the XV century to replace an earlier Romanesque tower. The model for its construction was the Old Town Bridge Tower sited at the other end of Charles Bridge, which was constructed earlier.

The Lesser Town Bridge Tower is 43.5 m. high and is a rare surviving example in Prague of the post-Hussite Gothic style. Connected to the Lesser Town Bridge Tower by a walkway is the smaller Judith's Tower. This is the only remaining part of the original Prague crossing, Judith's Bridge, which was destroyed by floods in 1342, and subsequently replaced by Charles Bridge. Inside the Lesser Town Bridge Tower is an exhibition dedicated to the eventful history of Charles Bridge, with graphic descriptions of the invading armies that have crossed it.

Judith Tower.

The lowest tower, the Judith Tower, was built together with the Romanesque Judith Bridge. This bridge, named after King Vladislav I's wife, was destroyed by flood in 1342 and later replaced by the Charles Bridge. The Judith Tower guarded the entrance to the former Judith Bridge.

Lesser Town Bridge Tower.

In 1464 King George of Podebrady ordered the construction of a new, taller tower next to the Judith Tower. This late Gothic tower, known as the Lesser Town Bridge Tower, was built on the remains of an old Romanesque tower. Its design was modeled on Peter Parler's Old Town Bridge Tower at the other end of the Charles Bridge.

100 Korun 1989

Behind the towers is Kostel svatého Mikuláše visible.

The Church of Saint Nicholas (Czech: Kostel svatého Mikuláše) is a Baroque church in the Lesser Town of Prague. It was built between 1704-1755 on the site where formerly a Gothic church from the XIII century stood, which was also dedicated to Saint Nicholas. It has been described as the greatest example of Prague Baroque.

The original Gothic Parish church of Saint Nicholas stood on the site of the present church which dated from the XIII century. In the second half of the XVII century the Jesuits decided to build a new church designed by Giovanni Domenico Orsi. A partial impression of the original planned appearance of the church at the time the Jesuits chose the initial plans by Giovanni Domenico Orsi in 1673 and laid the foundation stone is provided by the Chapel of St Barbara, which was built first so that mass could be celebrated. The church was built in two stages during the 18th century. From 1703 till 1711 the west façade, the choir, the Chapels of St Barbara and St Anne were built.

Count Wenceslaus Kolowrat-Liebsteinsky (1634 - 6 October 1659) from the prominent Czech House of Kolowrat was the largest patron of The church of St. Nicholas. He donated his entire estate, worth 178,500 gold, for the construction of the church and the adjacent buildings in Prague in Malá Strana.

The new plans involved an intricate geometrical system of interconnected cylinders with a central dome above the transept. The massive nave with side chapels and an undulating vault based on a system of intersecting ellipsoids was apparently built by Christoph Dientzenhofer. The pillars between the wide spans of the arcade supporting the triforium were meant to maximize the dynamic effect of the church. The chancel and its characteristic copper cupola were built in 1737-1752, this time using plans by Christoph's son, Kilian Ignaz Dientzenhofer.

In 1752, after the death Dientzehofer in 1751, the construction of the church tower was completed. During the years the church continued to expand its interior beauty. Following the abolition of the Jesuit Order by Pope Clement XIV, St Nicholas became the main parish church of the Lesser Town in 1775.

During the communist era the church tower was used as an observatory for State Security since from the tower it was possible to keep watch on the American and Yugoslav embassies respectively and the access route to the West German embassy.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart was repeatedly seated at the keyboard of the luxurious - in sound and decoration - organ of the church, made in 1746, and it was in this cathedral in December 1791 that a symbolic memorial service was served in his memory, collecting so many Prague people that even the whole Malostransky Square stone had nowhere to fall.

100 Korun 1989

On the right, adjacent to the large tower is the hotel and restaurant "At Three Ostriches" (Hotel "U Tří Pštrosů").

Right in the hearts of Europe, Prague offers treasures of architecture, one of them is the House of the Three Ostriches at Drazickeho nam. 12* Praha 1 - Mala Strana.

The house stands by Charles Bridge. This stone bridge, one of the jewels of Gothic architecture, was built by Charles IV, the Czech King and Holy Roman Emperor. The original house stood on the pier of the earlier Judith Bridge, which was swept away by a flood. During the time of the Hussite upheaval it was burnt down, and then rebuilt by Jan Fuchs, a supplier of ostrich feathers, who had the front wall of his house decorated with a pattern of ostriches. It was the first coffee house in Bohemia, selling coffee brought by the Greek merchant, Deodastus Damascenus. The smell of roasted coffee added to the atmosphere of the Prague area of Malá Strana, or the Lesser Town.

100 Korun 1989

The House At the Three Ostriches has changed ownership many times, but it has always had only one purpose - to provide hospitality for everyone who visits. The house was reconstructed in 1938 by Josef Dundr, the owner from 1921. At that time, the original frescos were revealed and the painted wooden renaissance ceiling was uncovered. At the same time it was furnished with period furniture and a tilled fireplace and lunettes with scenes of the construction of Charles Bridge were installed. In 1949, the restaurant was put under state ownership and the owners of the house - still the Dundr family - were forced to hand over the house to the state in 1961. [Detail of the furniture] After thirty-one years, this architectonic jewel was restituted to the family Dundr. And nowadays again, this treasure serves to the visitors of Prague.

We offer a friendly welcome to visitors, who are accommodated in historic rooms with painted renaissance ceilings and comfortable period furniture. Standard equipment includes ensuite bathroom and toilet, color TV with satellite reception, radio, direct-dial telephone and a mini-bar. In the suites, there is also a safe, Internet connection, and bathrooms with whirlpool bathtub. Nine rooms have the original wooden renaissance ceilings. Eleven rooms offer a view of the Charles Bridge. Our capacity is 9 double rooms, 4 suites and 5 single rooms. The rooms with a view offers the view of the Charles Bridge. (

100 Korun 1989

Below the Prague Castle and to the right of the Three Ostriches Hotel you can see the spire of St. Tomas Church (Address: Kostel svatého Tomáše, Josefská 28/8, Praha 1).

Catholic church of St. Thomas or Tomas, which is located in the Small Town, is the architectural and cultural heritage of Prague. The church stands for almost 800 years, having survived many events. Now the church, together with the monastery adjacent to it, is protected as a cultural monument of the Czech Republic.

The Gothic church was founded during the reign of Czech King Wenceslas II in 1285. At the same time, the king, known for his religiosity, invited the Order of the Augustinians to Prague. They received land and attached a monastery to the church, where members of the order could live and be brought up.

During the Hussite wars, the church was burned and almost destroyed. Work on its reconstruction cost the order dearly, which significantly slowed down the restoration. Only in the middle of the XVI century the church was completely revived in the Renaissance style, but the subsequent fire of 1500 again destroyed the church and the entire monastery complex. Renaissance-style restoration work continued throughout the 16th century. Only in 1593 on December 29 the church was re-consecrated.

Thirty years war came soon, which did not pass without a trace. The church was again completely destroyed. The restoration was undertaken by the architect Jan the Baptist Erna, and in 1665-1675 a new Baroque temple was erected.

In 1727, the church again went for reconstruction in order to get the appearance that can be observed even now. It was the architect Kilian Ignacy Dintsenhofer who brought the temple a Baroque style.

The church of St. Thomas still bears traces of various architectural styles that replaced each other throughout the life of the church. So, there remained the north tower with a bell tower in the Gothic style, where four bells hang. One of them, remembering the XVII century, is named after St. Augustine, the rest are poured in the workshop of Peter Rudolph Manoushka. The tower is open to the public, but the path is difficult. Narrow and high wooden stairs are inconvenient for climbing, but they should be overcome to enjoy a beautiful view of the Small Town. In general, the facade is made mainly in the Baroque style, but some renaissance details have been preserved.

It is worth noting that until 1951 the monastery brewed fine beer. Now in the same building there is a pub where you can enjoy beer and snacks after meeting with the Church of St. Tomas. ( .rus).

100 Korun 1989 100 Korun 1989

The Prague Castle (Pražský hrad) was most likely founded in around 880 by Prince Bořivoj of the Premyslid Dynasty (Přemyslovci). According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the Prague Castle is the largest coherent castle complex in the world, with an area of almost 70,000 m². A UNESCO World Heritage site, it consists of a large-scale composition of palaces and ecclesiastical buildings of various architectural styles, from Roman-style buildings from the X century through Gothic modifications in the 14th century. The famous Slovenian architect Josip Plečnik was responsible for extensive renovations in the time of the First Republic (1918-1938). Since the Velvet Revolution, the Prague Castle has undergone significant and ongoing repairs and reconstructions.

100 Korun 1989

The Metropolitan Cathedral of Saints Vitus, Wenceslaus and Adalbert (Czech: metropolitní katedrála svatého Víta, Václava a Vojtěcha) is a Roman Catholic metropolitan cathedral in Prague, the seat of the Archbishop of Prague. Until 1997, the cathedral was dedicated only to Saint Vitus, and is still commonly named only as St. Vitus Cathedral.

This cathedral is a prominent example of Gothic architecture and is the largest and most important church in the country. Located within Prague Castle and containing the tombs of many Bohemian kings and Holy Roman Emperors, the cathedral is under the ownership of the Czech government as part of the Prague Castle complex. Cathedral dimensions are 124 by 60 meters (407 ft. × 197 ft.), the main tower is 102.8 meters (337 ft.) high, front towers 82 meters (269 ft.), arch height 33.2 meters (109 ft.).

The current cathedral is the third of a series of religious buildings at the site, all dedicated to St. Vitus. The first church was an early Romanesque rotunda founded by Wenceslaus I, Duke of Bohemia in 930. This patron saint was chosen because Wenceslaus had acquired a holy relic – the arm of St. Vitus – from Emperor Henry I. It is also possible that Wenceslaus, wanting to convert his subjects to Christianity more easily, chose a saint whose name (Svatý Vít in Czech) sounds very much like the name of Slavic solar deity Svantevit.[citation needed] Two religious populations, the increasing Christian and decreasing pagan community, lived simultaneously in Prague castle at least until the 11th century.

Ground plan of the cathedral with outlines of prior romanesque buildings

In the year 1060, as the bishopric of Prague was founded, prince Spytihněv II embarked on building a more spacious church, as it became clear the existing rotunda was too small to accommodate the faithful. A much larger and more representative Romanesque basilica was built in its spot. Though still not completely reconstructed, most experts agree it was a triple-aisled basilica with two choirs and a pair of towers connected to the western transept. The design of the cathedral nods to Romanesque architecture of the Holy Roman Empire, most notably to the abbey church in Hildesheim and the Speyer Cathedral. The southern apse of the rotunda was incorporated into the eastern transept of the new church because it housed the tomb of St. Wenceslaus, who had by now become the patron saint of the Czech princes. A bishop's mansion was also built south of the new church, and was considerably enlarged and extended in the mid XII-century.

100 Korun 1989

Hradčany, the Castle District, is the district of the city of Prague, Czech Republic surrounding Prague Castle.

The castle is said to be the biggest castle in the world at about 570 meters (1,870 feet) in length and an average of about 130 meters (430 feet) wide. Its history stretches back to the IX century. St Vitus Cathedral is located in the castle area.

The area of Hradčany is rich in elaborate historical buildings, gardens and romantic little streets that will delight, enchant and promise of an unforgettable cultural experience.

Hradčany was an independent borough until 1784, when the four independent boroughs that had formerly constituted Prague were proclaimed a single city. The other three were Malá Strana (German: Kleinseite, Lesser Quarter), Staré Město (German: Altstadt, Old Town) and Nové Město (German: Neustadt, New Town).

Three roses are on right side.

Denominations in numerals are on right side vertically, in top left and bottom right corners.


Designer: Albin Brunovsky.

Reverse engraver: B.Sneider.

Obverse engraver: M. Ondraček.

Prefixes in Series: A.