header Notes Collection
Top

2000 Pesos 1989, Mexico

in Krause book Number: 86c
Years of issue: 28.03.1989
Edition:
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: 1985 - 1989 Issue
Specimen of: 19.07.1985
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 155 x 66
Printer: Banco de México, Mexico

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

2000 Pesos 1989

Description

Watermark:

UV: fibers fluoresce red, security strip green.

Avers:

2000 Pesos 1989

Justo Sierra MéndezThe engraving on banknote is made after this photo. his is a press photograph from the George Grantham Bain collection, which was purchased by the Library of Congress in 1948.

Justo Sierra Méndez (January 26, 1848 - September 13, 1912), was a prominent Mexican writer, journalist, poet and political figure of the second half of the nineteenth century. He was the son of Mexican novelist Justo Sierra O'Reilly, who is credited with inspiring his son with the spirit of literature. Sierra moved to Mexico City at the age of 13 in 1861, the year of his father's death, and also, coincidentally, the year of the French intervention in Mexico. Together with his fellow young students, Sierra responded with patriotic fervor to the invasion of his country, and became a lifelong militant liberal. His most enduring works are sociopolitical histories (at times verging on memoirs) of the era of Benito Juárez and Porfirio Díaz, particularly his political biography of Juárez and his Evolución política del pueblo mexicano, which Antonio Caso considered the definitive statement of the age of the Reform in Mexico. He was elected a member of the Mexican Academy of Language in 1887, and served as the Academy's sixth director from 1910 until his death in 1912.

UNAM Library

UNAM Library building (Biblioteca central de la Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México).

The modern campus of the Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Constructed between 1949-1952 by 150 Architects and technicians it is a showcase of modern architecture. The UNAM Library (Biblioteca Central) was designed by Juan O'Gorman and is heavily decorated with sculpture and mosaics. The southern façade includes two zodiac wheels which describe colonial times and the northern façade represents aspects of Aztec culture. The eastern façade represents the creation of modern Mexico and the western façade Latin American culture in general. (MIMOA)

In top right corner an inscription: "El Banco de Mexico S.A. pagara Dos Mil Pesos a la vista al portador" or "Banco de Mexico SA will pay two thousand pesos at sight to bearer".

Denominations in numerals are top left and bottom right. Bottom left in words.

Revers:

2000 Pesos 1989

El CaballitoThe courtyard of ancient university in Mexico. Centered - the equestrian statue of Charles IV.

The equestrian statue of Charles IV (also known as El Caballito) is a bronze sculpture cast by Manuel Tolsá on August 4, 1802 in Mexico City, Mexico in honour of King Charles IV of Spain, then the ultimate ruler of colonial Mexico. This statue has been displayed in different points of the city and is considered one of the finest achievements of Mr. Tolsá. It now resides in Plaza Manuel Tolsá.

The project was initiated by Miguel de la Grúa Talamanca, Marquis of Branciforte, who was Viceroy of New Spain. Once he obtained permission for the monument, he appointed people to perform the work and construction began. To that end, he emptied the main plaza (the Plaza de la Constitución, or Zocalo) and erected an elliptical railing with four access gates.

The pedestal for the statue was inaugurated with large and well-attended parties and bullfights on the 8th of December of 1796. A temporary statue, constructed out of wood and gilded stucco, was placed on top of the pedestal; it also represented the Spanish monarch.

The Equestrian Statue of Charles IV was melted and cast in one operation under the supervision of Tolsá, who was director of the Academy of San Carlos. The statue required between 450 and 600 quintales of bronze (one quintal being equivalent to 46 kg), and was cast in the area near the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul. The sculptor modeled the frame after a horse owned by the Marquis of Jaral of Berrio named Tambor (or "drum"). After being polished and engraved, the statue was taken to its pedestal and inaugurated on the 9th of December in 1803. The celebrations and bullfights were repeated, witg great jubilation. The Baron Alexander von Humboldt was present at the unveiling. In his opinion, and for this genre, the statue produced by Tolsá is second only to the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius, in Rome.

In 1821, due to anti-Hispanic sentiment manifesting during the Mexican independence, and due to a desire to replace the monument, the statue was covered in a blue tent. It was not long before people considered destroying the monument, to melt it down to reuse the bronze for guns or coins. Aggravating matters, underneath one of the hooves of the statue one will find the mark of an Aztec quiver, perhaps a sign of allegiance to Spain.

The statue was saved by Lucas Alamán, who convinced Guadalupe Victoria to retain the statue on the merit of its aesthetic qualities. This resulted in the statue being relocated in 1822 to the courtyard of the ancient university, to prevent people from destroying it. It wasn't until 1824 that the public was permitted to access the statue, but the statue was much safer in this location.

In 1852, after years had passed and tempers had calmed, the statue was moved to the intersection Paseo de la Reforma and Paseo de Bucareli, although this time it was protected from potential damage by a grille.

In 1979 it was relocated to its current location, Plaza Manuel Tolsá, overlooking the Palacio de Minería. Currently, in response to the earlier controversy surrounding the statue, the plaque on the pedestal indicates that Mexico conserved the statue as a monument to art, and not as a sign of praise to a Spanish king. A smaller, slightly different version of the ssculpture can be seen in the Tolsá museum opposite the statue.

The statue weighs 26 tonnes and is the second largest cast bronze statue in the world.

In the top right corner is a monogram of Banco de Mexico.

In the top left corner is a logo of Banco de Mexico.

In bottom left corner an inscription: "Universidad Siglo XIX" or "University Century 19th".

Denominations in numerals are bottom right and top left. Bottom left in words.

Comments:

Obverse engraver: J. Peral

Reverse engraver: S. Moreno