header Notes Collection

50 Korun 1987, Czechoslovakia

in Krause book Number: 96a
Years of issue: 1987
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1985 - 1989 Issue
Specimen of: 01.07.1986
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 142 х 67
Printer: STC-Prague. Statni Tiskarna Cenin, Praha

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Korun 1987



50 Korun 1987

Linden leaves and stars.


50 Korun 1987

Ludovit Stur

The engraving on banknote is made after this portrait of Ľudovít Štúr. The date and author of portrait are unknown.

Ľudovít Velislav Štúr (28 October 1815 - 12 January 1856), known in his era as Ludevít Štúr, was the leader of the Slovak national revival in the 19th century, the author of the Slovak language standard eventually leading to the contemporary Slovak literary language. Štúr was an organizer of the Slovak volunteer campaigns during the 1848 Revolution, he was also politician, poet, journalist, publisher, teacher, philosopher, linguist and member of the Hungarian Parliament.

Left side - the eagle over Slovakian Tatras.


Centered, on the top is an emblem of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic.

In November 17, 1960 Act No.163 introduced a new national emblem (designed by M.Hegar), which was supposed to represent the so called "completion of the building of socialism" in Czechoslovakia. In fact, the emblem was at variance with the rules of heraldry, though it did at least preserve the lion as a symbol of the land of Bohemia.

The national emblem of the Czechoslovak Socialist Republic is represented by a red shield in the shape of a Hussite pavis with a five-pointed star at the top and a white two-tailed lion rampant with a red escutcheon on its chest showing a blue silhouette of Mount Kriváò and a bonfire in gold color.

Bottom left are three Braille dots for visually impaired.

Denominations in numerals are on the left side vertically, top left and bottom right. In words centered.


50 Korun 1987

The banknote identifies some buildings, namely: Bratislava Castle, St. Martin's Cathedral (Slovak. Katedrála sv. Martina), the building of the Devin Hotel, Church of the Loretan Mother of God (Kostol Loretánskej Panny Márie), The Holy Saviour Church (Kostol Najsv. Spasiteľa).

The view at Bratislava from the bridge of Slovak National Uprising (New Bridge) across the Danube River.


View of the city and Bratislava Castle.

Bratislava Castle (Bratislavský hrad) is the main castle of Bratislava, the capital of Slovakia. The massive rectangular building with four corner towers stands on an isolated rocky hill of the Little Carpathians directly above the Danube river in the middle of Bratislava. Because of its size and location, it has been a dominant feature of the city for centuries.

The location provides excellent views of Bratislava, Austria and, in clear weather, parts of Hungary. Many legends are connected with the history of the castle.


I am in Bratislava, near the New bridge, 27 of December 2014.


On the right, behind the bridge, by the highway is St. Martin's Cathedral (Slovak. Katedrála sv. Martina).

The St Martin's Cathedral (Slovak: Katedrála svätého Martina, Hungarian: Szent Márton-dóm or Koronázó templom, German: Kathedrale des Heiligen Martin) is a church in Bratislava, Slovakia, and the cathedral of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Bratislava.

It is situated at the western border of the historical city center below Bratislava Castle. It is the largest and one of the oldest churches in Bratislava, known especially for being the coronation church of the Kingdom of Hungary between 1563 and 1830.

Together with the castle on the hill adjacent, and somewhat similar in its striking but fairly stark Gothic lines and colouring, St Martin's 85 m. (279 ft.) spire dominates Old Town's skyline. The tower virtually formed a part of the town's fortifications, built as it was into the city's defensive walls.

As with the castle, the surroundings of St Martin's are as memorable as the structure itself. In the cathedral's case, this includes the picturesque remains of outbuildings in a spacious staired courtyard, and a working seminary with robed adepts on a cobblestone side-street.

A small but significant neighbour of the cathedral is a monument to the synagogue, which stood next door for centuries until the Communist government demolished it around 1970 to make room for a new Nový Most bridge. The cathedral contains the remains of Saint John the Merciful who died in the early VII Century.

The nave of the structure consists of three aisles divided by two rows of eight columns. It has an overall floor area of 69.37 m. × 22.85 m. (227.6 ft. × 75.0 ft.) with a maximum height of 16.02 m (52.6 ft). The tower is 85 m. (279 ft.) high and at one time was part of the medieval city fortifications. The cathedral is constructed in the traditional crucifix shape.

Together with the castle on the hill adjacent, and somewhat similar in its striking but fairly stark Gothic lines and colouring, St Martin's 85 m spire dominates Old Town's skyline.

As with the castle, the surroundings of St Martin's are as memorable as the structure itself. The cathedral sits amid picturesque remains of outbuildings in a spacious staired courtyard, and a working seminary with robed adepts on a cobblestoned side-street. The tower is capped by a replica of the Hungarian Crown resting on a gilded pillow.

The altar is dominated by an equestrian statue group depicting St. Martin in a typical Hungarian hussar dress. The saint is dividing his cloak to give part to a beggar as protection from the cold.

Long before the construction of the cathedral, the site had been the crossroads and contained the former centre of the town, a market and probably also a chapel. Worship services were held at Bratislava Castle, where the chapter and provost's office had their seat. As the visits became less bearable and the castle's safety was threatened, King Emeric of Hungary requested the Pope Innocent II for permission to relocate the provost's office into forecastle, and The Pope assented in 1204. The church was relocated in 1221, and was originally built in Romanesque style and sanctified to the Holy Savior.

As the town grew into a city and received additional privileges in 1291, the sanctuary became insufficient for its needs. Construction of a new Gothic cathedral began in 1311 on the site of the earlier church and an adjacent cemetery.

Construction continued until 1452 due to the difficulty of construction and lack of funding. For a period in the early fifteenth century, construction halted due to the Hussite Wars. In 1452, the church was finally completed and consecrated, however, work continued until the sixteenth century. During this period, a new long presbytery and the Gothic chapels of Czech Queen Sofia and of Saint Anne were added in the XV century.

Eighteenth century additions to the sanctuary include the Baroque Chapel of St. John the Merciful, and serves as a mausoleum. It was constructed at the price of 2000 pieces of gold at the expense of Cardinal Péter Pázmány and the famous Baroque equestrian sculpture of St Martin was added in 1744. Both works were designed by Georg Rafael Donner.

In 1760, the top of the Gothic tower was struck by lightning and later replaced by a Baroque one, which was subsequently destroyed by fire in 1835 and reconstructed in 1847 (with some modifications), and topped by the crown of St Stephen (see below)

The church attained its present-day appearance during the period 1869 to 1877, when it was re-Gothicised after suffering damage by fire, war, earthquake and other disasters.


Right of St. Martins Cathedral is The Holy Saviour Church visible.

A few steps from the Old Town Hall is a very interesting church, devoid of a tower and presbytery. This is the temple of the Most Holy Savior or, as all townspeople unofficially call it, the Jesuit Church. It was built in 1636-1638 by representatives of the German Lutheran church, but was not used for long for Protestant services. Emperor Leopold I actively catholicized the state, so the persecution of Lutherans during his reign intensified. In 1672, the church, originally consecrated in honor of the Holy Trinity, at the direction of Archbishop Juraj Selepcheni, was confiscated and soon handed over to the fathers from the Jesuit order. In honor of the victory of Leopold I over the Protestants who tried to rebel against the emperor, a memorial column was erected on the square in front of the main entrance to the church.

The temple looks unusual. It does not resemble a sacred structure. Rather, you might think that we are faced with an ordinary residential building - and quite a lot. This church is larger than any building on Frantiskana Square.

The Jesuits, having received at their disposal the Renaissance Church of the Holy Trinity, rebuilt it in the Baroque style and re-named it in the name of the Most Holy Hierarch. The main portal of the church is decorated with massive wooden carved doors created in the first half of the XVII century. The interior of the temple is decorated in a rococo style. The most valuable items of its interior decoration are the graceful chair of the sculptor Ludwig Godet, who studied under the architect Yuri Rafael Donner, and the altar painted by Franz Xavier Palk. ( .rus)


Right of The Holy Saviour Church is Church of the Loretan Mother of God visible.

The modern church of the Loretan Virgin Mary is popularly called the Ursulin temple. The activity of the Order of Ursulinok begins in 1535 in Italy. The main goal of the nuns from this order was to provide educational services to women and girls. Soon, the Ursulinki began to gradually explore all of Europe, agreeing on the construction of monasteries and colleges with them. In the second half of the XVII century, they ended up in Bratislava - in those days the first city of the Hungarian state.

The Church of the Loretan Virgin Mary was not built by ursulins, but by German Protestants in 1659-1663. A one-nave building in the Renaissance style appeared on the northern outskirts of Bratislava of that time near the walls surrounding the city. Protestants already had one church, built right in the center of the city and now called in honor of the Most Holy Savior. The new temple did not serve the Lutherans for long - until their conspiracy of 1670. Then Emperor Leopold I ordered that the Protestants be deprived of their property and given to various church orders. So, the Jesuits received the church in the city center, and the temple on the outskirts went to the Ursulin sisters. They consecrated it in honor of the Loretian Virgin Mary.

The building of the Bratislava Church of Our Lady of Loretan is one of the typical Protestant sacred structures. Its main facade faces the street. Above the roof you can see a small turret with a bell. The original wooden tower in 1683 suffered from a fire, so it was replaced with a new one - a stone one. It was crowned with a baroque bulb-dome covered with sheet copper.

The church is decorated in a simple, concise, even ascetic style. Its main decoration is the central altar, made in the last quarter of the XVIII century. It is decorated with a statue of the Virgin Mary. The sculpture of the Black Mother of God was presented to the ursulins in 1684 by Archbishop Leopold Kolonich. The altar is supplemented by the figures of the patronesses of the Order of Ursulines: St. Barbara, St. Ursula, St. Catherine of Alexandria and St. Agnes. ( .rus)


On the bank of the Danube, in the lower right corner you can see the building of the Devin Hotel.

For more than 60 years, the traditional Devin Hotel has welcomed its guests directly in the historical center of Bratislava. Elegant rooms with a true atmosphere of the old days offer excellent services and the most modern equipment.

The suites and apartments overlook the Danube and Bratislava Castle, an exquisite French restaurant, a SPA center with a cozy atmosphere, traditional Thai massages and attractive rooms for company and private events.


The independent Hotel Devín is closely connected to Bratislava and its residents, forming part of the social scene in the city. The hotel building is a protected landmark by renowned architect Emil Belluš, and one of the key buildings from the functionalist period. It was completely renovated between 2011-2012. We aimed to build on the tradition of this prominent hotel, and to sensitively renovate while maintaining its original character.

Hotel Devín has been a special meeting point ever since it opened in 1954. (

On right side is grapes.

Denominations in numerals are on the right side vertically, top left and bottom right.


I got this note in Banská Bystrica, in the end of September 1991.

Designer: Albin Brunovsky.

Reverse engraver: Ladislav Skarban.

Obverse engraver: Vaclav Fajt.

Prefixes: F, I