header Notes Collection
Top

5 Markkaa 1942 - 1945. Litt. D, Finland

in Krause book Number: 69a
Years of issue: 1942 - 1945
Edition: 40 000 000
Signatures: Raittinen Paavo (1942 – 1953), Alsiala Harald (1938 – 1954)
Serie: 1941 - 1942 (1945) Issue
Specimen of: 1939
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 120 х 66
Printer: Bank of Finland Security Printing House, Setelipaino Sedeltryckeriet, Vantaa

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Markkaa 1942 - 1945. Litt. D

Description

Watermark:

watermark

In diamonds are, repeated, the national flower of Finland - the lily of the valley.

Avers:

5 Markkaa 1942 - 1945. Litt. D

The spruce centered.

Denominations are in all corners, in numerals and in words are on the right and left sides from the spruce.

Revers:

5 Markkaa 1942 - 1945. Litt. D

The spruce branches are around the coat of arms.

coat

The coat of arms of Finland is a crowned lion on a red field, the right forepaw replaced with an armoured hand brandishing a sword, trampling on a saber with the hindpaws. The coat of arms was originally created around the year 1580.

Crowned golden lion, right forepaw replaced hand in armor, holding a silver sword with a gold handle. Leo tramples hind legs silver Saracen sword with a gold handle. Shield studded with silver rosettes 9 (number of historic parts of Finland). Official use only since 1978, although first appeared around 1580 on the statue of the Swedish king Gustav I Vasa, installed in the Gothic cathedral of Uppsala, Sweden. Lion - an ancient Scandinavian symbol of authority and power, the symbol of chivalry (hand) and saber - involvement in the general culture of Christian Europe in the fight against the Muslims.

Denominations in numerals are on the right and left sides.

Comments:

Designer: Gottlieb Eliel Saarinen (August 20, 1873, Rantasalmi, Grand Duchy of Finland, Russian Empire - July 1, 1950, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, United States), was a Finnish architect who became famous for his art nouveau buildings in the early years of the 20th century. He was the father of Eero Saarinen.