header Notes Collection
Top

2 Dollars 2007, Singapore

in Krause book Number: 46
Years of issue: 2007
Edition: --
Signatures: Chairman Monetary authority of Singapore: Mr. Goh Chok Tong
Serie: Fourth Series
Specimen of: 12.01.2006
Material: Polymer
Size (mm): 126 x 63
Printer: British American Bank Note Co. Ltd., Montreal

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

2 Dollars 2007

Description

Watermark:

watermark

First president Yusof bin Ishak. Lower, in right corner, the window with denomination.

Avers:

2 Dollars 2007

Tun Yusof bin Ishak

Tun Yusof bin Ishak (12 August 1910 - 23 November 1970) was the first President of Singapore, serving from 1965 to 1970.

Yusof was well known both as a journalist and the founder of the Malay newspaper Utusan Melayu prior to becoming head of state of Singapore. He was married to Noor Aishah.

He first served as Yang di-Pertuan Negara (head of state) between 1959 and 1965, remaining in office during the time that Singapore was part of the Federation of Malaysia between 1963 and 1965. Following Singapore's departure from Malaysia in 1965, he served as the first President of the Republic until his death in 1970.

Buried at Kranji State Cemetery.

Top left, in plastic window, is the coat of arms of Singapore.

Near the denomination, centered, is the Merlions hologram. Same Merlion is lower left (not hologram).

Cyprea Moneta

On background are the Money Cowry,

Scientific name is Cyprea Moneta. They are found in moderately shallow water. The Money Cowrie is a triangular shaped, back is bumpy with thick margins. This cowry shell color ranges from white to deep yellow. The Money Cowry is common across the Indo-Pacific region. This region ranges from the East African Coast east to the Northern Austrailian/New Zealand coasts. The Cyprea Moneta got its name, when tons of shells were shipped to Africa and used as currency. They are still used in parts of Africa. 100 shells are equal to an English penny.

The Maldives provided the main source of cowrie shells, throughout Asia and parts of the East African coast. Huge amounts of Maldivian cowries were introduced into Africa by western nations during the period of slave trade. It was also traded to Native Americans by European settlers. (www.shells-of-aquarius.com)

Top right is a Braille point for the visually impaired.

Denomination in numeral and in words is centered.

Revers:

2 Dollars 2007

Subject - Education.

Victoria Bridge school

On right side is the Victoria School (abbreviation VS). It is Singapore's second government secondary school. The all-boys school, founded in 1876, is located at Siglap Link. It is about one kilometer from affiliated Victoria Junior College and a very short walk to East Coast Park and the beach.

Previous campuses of Victoria School include the Syed Alwi and Tyrwhitt Road sites. The Syed Alwi site is featured on the back of Singapore's S$2 banknote. The School occupied this building from 1900 till 1932.

Raffles institution

Centered, above, is the oldest government School in Singapore - Old Raffles Institution - The Bras Basah campus's library building.

Old buildings at Bras Basah Road demolished and now occupied by Raffles City. Oldest government School founded in 1823 by Sir Stamford Raffles Foresight and concern for education of the "natives" by a colonialist to set up a "native college" which became the Singapore Institution and later Raffles Institution.

When one passes Raffles City which houses the tallest hotels in the world, the Westin and the Stamford, one is reminded of the old Raffles Institution which stood on that site. Later after the demolition of old Raffles Institution, the school moved to Grange Road which was in an equally distinguished neighbourhood. Today Raffles Institution is in Bishan, a new satellite town and in the midst of Housing and Development Board (HDB) flats. It was from such neighbourhood that many students of Raffles Institution in Bras Basah Road and Grange Road came; now Raffles Institution is in the midst of the homes where most of our students come. Students of Raffles Institution are constantly reminded that when they become leaders in the Institution are constantly reminded that when they become leaders in the professions they should not forget that they came largely from HDB flats.

"It is probably due to him (Raffles) more than to any other individual that education was begun in Singapore" (E.Wijeysingha). But before the Singapore Institution (Raffles Institution) was founded in 1823 there were a few Malay Schools, a small missionary school and three Chinese schools in Singapore.

Raffles' aim was to educate the local people by setting up a 'native college' and he himself chose the site close to the government buildings and Churches. He launched a subscription to build the school and he made a personal donation of $2,000. The first President of the Singapore Institution was the Resident Lieutenant Colonel Farquhar and Reverend Morrison was the Vice-President. It is significant to note that Rev. Morrison, a Presbyterian Missionary who founded the Anglo-Chinese School in Malacca was also responsible for establishing Raffles Institution.

The school building was completed in 1827 at the site chosen by Raffles.

In September 1823 a sad decision was made by the East India Company to divert the funds of Singapore Institution to build a monument for Stamford Raffles who died in 1826 - a Town Hall and a Reading Room. Fortunately this did not materialize and plans to complete the school buildings were agreed upon. In 1834 Singapore Institution began to function as a school and in 1836 the School Committee decided to complete the buildings of the school as a memorial to Stamford Raffles. In September 1839, the Singapore Free School moved from High Street to the Singapore Institution buildings. By 1841 both the wings of the Institution were completed.

The principal who contributed most to the Institution's growth and prominence was R.W.Hullet; he was the head for 36 years (1870-1906).

At the outbreak of the Pacific War in December 1941 Raffles Institution was requisitioned by the British forces. The Japanese used the Institution during their occupation of Singapore from 1942 to 1945. When the British Military Administration was set up, Raffles Institution functioned in St Joseph's Institution and Monk's Hill School. It returned to its own buildings in October 1946.

When the government decided to redevelop the City the old buildings at Bras Basah Road had to be demolished. Raffles Institution then moved to new buildings at Grange Road close to the residence of the American Ambassador in Singapore. Then Raffles Institution moved to its present site. It is still the premier school of Singapore that has produced both the Prime Ministers of Singapore; Mr Lee Kuan Yew and Mr Goh Chok Tong.

The motto of the school is "Auspicium Melioris Aevi" or "the Hope for a Better Age - for the School and the nation". (www.streetdirectory.com)

The College of Medicine Building

On the left side, above, is the College of Medicine Building is a historic building in Singapore, located within the grounds of the Singapore General Hospital at Outram Park, within the Bukit Merah Planning Area near Singapore's central business district.

Singapore's first medical training institution was established in 1905 in a former women's mental asylum at Sepoy Lines. The start of this medical school was significant in two ways. It was meant to train local men and women to bring Western medicine to the local population. It was handsomely supported by local merchants who took advantage of the tax exemptions of the time not to garner more wealth, but to give generously to public causes. Tan Jiak Kim gave the largest individual sum. Another donor, Tan Chay Yan even gave a building to the school in memory of his father, Tan Teck Guan.

In 1911, the Tan Teck Guan Building was a useful as well as elegant addition to the establishment. Originally named the Straits and Federated Malay States Government Medical School, the school was renamed King Edward VII College of Medicine in 1921. Around this time, a new building was planned.

The College of Medicine Building that stands today was built in 1926. When the University of Malaya was founded in 1949, the college became its Faculty of Medicine. Since then Singapore and Malaya have emerged as different nations. From 1982, the Faculty of Medicine was a part of the National University of Singapore.

New buildings and a new National University Hospital were erected at the new Kent Ridge campus. However, the College of Medicine Building in Sepoy Lines is preserved to be used as the seat of the National University of Singapore's Academy of Medicine, whose members are alumni. The building was restored from 1985-1987.

The College of Medicine Building was gazetted as a national monument on 2 December 2002.

The College of Medicine Building was built in reinforced concrete with a massive, floral Neo-Classical façade of Doric columns. This grand colonnade, designed by Italian sculptor Cavaliere Rudolfo Nolli, dominates the building's facade, with bas reliefs depicting the Allegory of Healing on the walls on either side. Behind this colonnade are a row of eleven enormous doors. A sculptured Roman spread-eagle, encircled by a wreath, emblazons above the central doorway.

At one time, there was a long, elliptical pool of water in front of the building, which helped to reflect and soften its massive image, but this pool has long since vanished.

During the building's restoration in the 1980s, a grand staircase in the main lobby, which was in the original plan but somehow never built, was at long last installed where it belongs.

The students are on foreground.

Near lower denomination is a Merlion (same, as on obverse).

Denominations in numerals are in top and lower left corners.

Comments:

In the lower part of banknote, under the word "EDUCATION", are two squares. Also other samples existed, with one square or without any.