header Notes Collection
Top

1 Hryvnia 1995, Ukraine

in Krause book Number: 108b
Years of issue: 1997 - 1998
Edition: --
Signatures: Голова правління банку: Виктор Ющенко (26.01.1993 – 11.01.2000)
Serie: 1995 Issue
Specimen of: 1995
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 133 х 66
Printer: Банкнотно-монетный двор Нацбанка Украины, Киев

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Hryvnia 1995

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Made on special colored paper, which corresponds to the prevailing color of the banknote, paper does not fluoresce under ultraviolet light, contains a multicolored watermark, in the form of a portrait, same to portrait on the front of the banknote, the paper also includes two-tone watermark (barcode), the protective security thread and fibers.

Contains: light element of watermark, latent image, relief images, composite image, micro text, rainbow printing, serial number, security grid.

Inscription on security thread: "Ukraine" (repeatedly).

Avers:

1 Hryvnia 1995

Vladimir Sviatoslavich the Great (c. 958 - 15 July 1015) was a prince of Novgorod, grand prince of Kiev, and ruler of Kievan Rus' from 980 to 1015.

Vladimir's father was prince Sviatoslav of the Rurik dynasty. After the death of his father in 972, Vladimir, who was then prince of Novgorod, was forced to flee to Scandinavia in 976 after his brother Yaropolk had murdered his other brother Oleg and conquered Rus'. In Sweden, with the help from his relative Ladejarl Håkon Sigurdsson, ruler of Norway, he assembled a Varangian army and reconquered Novgorod from Yaropolk. By 980 Vladimir had consolidated the Kievan realm from modern-day Ukraine to the Baltic Sea and had solidified the frontiers against incursions of Bulgarian, Baltic, and Eastern nomads. Originally a Slavic pagan, Vladimir converted to Christianity in 988 and Christianized the Kievan Rus'.

On the background is an ornament from the era of Vladimir the Great.

Bottom left are the flowers Paeónia.

paeonia tenuifolia

The peony is a flowering plant in the genus Paeonia, the only genus in the family Paeoniaceae. They are native to Asia, Southern Europe and Western North America. Boundaries between species are not clear and estimates of the number of species range from 25 to 40.

Most are herbaceous perennial plants 0.5-1.5 meters (1.6-4.9 ft) tall, but some resemble trees 1.5-3 meters (4.9-9.8 ft) tall. They have compound, deeply lobed leaves and large, often fragrant, flowers, ranging from red to white or yellow, in late spring and early summer.

The peony is named after Paeon (also spelled Paean), a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower.

The family name "Paeoniaceae" was first used by Friedrich K.L. Rudolphi in 1830, following a suggestion by Friedrich Gottlieb Bartling that same year. The family had been given other names a few years earlier. The composition of the family has varied, but it has always consisted of Paeonia and one or more genera that are now placed in Ranunculales.

It has been widely believed that Paeonia is closest to Glaucidium, and this idea has been followed in some recent works. Molecular phylogenetic studies, however, have demonstrated conclusively that Glaucidium belongs in Ranunculaceae, but that Paeonia belongs in the unrelated order Saxifragales.

Peonies are also extensively grown as ornamental plants for their very large, often scented flowers.

Denominations in numerals are in top corners, in words lower in center.

Revers:

1 Hryvnia 1995

Hersones

Chersonesus (Chersonese, Chersonesos), in medieval Greek contracted to Cherson (Χερσών; Old East Slavic: Корсунь, Korsun) is an ancient Greek colony founded approximately 2,500 years ago in the southwestern part of the Crimean Peninsula. The colony was established in the VI century BC by settlers from Heraclea Pontica.

The ancient city is located on the shore of the Black Sea at the outskirts of Sevastopol on the Crimean Peninsula off Ukraine, where it is referred to as Khersones. It has been nicknamed the "Ukrainian Pompeii" and "Russian Troy". The site is now part of the National Historical-Archeological Museum-Zapovednik of the Ukrainian Khersones Tavriysky. The name "Chersonesos" in Greek means "peninsula", and aptly describes the site on which the colony was established. It should not be confused with the Tauric Chersonese, the name often applied to the whole of the southern Crimea.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words lower in center.

Comments:

Designers: Vasyl Lopata and Boris Maksimov.

The banknote paper made on the factory of national bank of Ukraine in Malin, Ukraine.

I got this note in Chernihiv, Ukraine, in 2006.

Issued into circulation at 2 September 1997.