header Notes Collection

200 Hryven 2011, Ukraine

in Krause book Number: 123
Years of issue: 2011
Edition: --
Signatures: Голова правління банку: Сергей Арбузов (с 23.12.2010 - 24.12.2012)
Serie: 2007 Issue
Specimen of: 2007
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 148 х 75
Printer: Банкнотно-монетный двор Нацбанка Украины, Киев

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

200 Hryven 2011




Made on a special rose paper, which does not fluoresce under ultraviolet light, with multicolored water marks, in the form of a portrait, that matches the portrait printed on the front of the banknote.

Contains: grid microprinting, security thread, raised elements, combine image, iris print, sign for the visually impaired, the latent image, invisible security fibers, fluorescent serial number, hidden nominal, magnetic number.


200 Hryven 2011

On the background, in the central part, is a composition of contour drawing of Literary Memorial Museum of Lesya Ukrainka in the village of Kolodiazhne and a tonal pattern of Ukrainian wreath with red ribbons.

Lesya Ukrainka

Larysa Petrivna Kosach-Kvitka (Лариса Петрівна Косач-Квітка, February 25 [O.S. February 13] 1871 - August 1 [O.S. July 19] 1913) better known under her literary pseudonym Lesya Ukrainka (Леся Українка), was one of Ukraine's best-known poets and writers and the foremost woman writer in Ukrainian literature. She also was a political, civil, and female activist.

Lesya Ukrainka

On background is The museum-estate of Lesya Ukrainka in Kolodyazhny. It is a literary and memorial museum in the village of Kolodyazhnoye, Kovelsky district of the Volyn region, founded 1949 in the estate in which Lesya Ukrainka lived in childhood and youth. P.A. Kosach acquired a plot of land and a manor in 1879 here. Since 1882, the Kosach family settled here for permanent residence. Lesya Ukrainka lived here until the end of 1896, and despite long departures, she considered Kolodyazhnoe her home. Under the influence of the legends of the Volyn region, which her mother retold to her, writer Olena Pchilka (Olga Kosach became the first woman journalist in Ukraine.) And the poetic talent of one of the most famous Ukrainian poets in the world was formed. Here Lesya Ukrainka began her career by writing about 80 works: "The Mermaid", "Singer", "Lily of the Valley", "Sappho", "The Prisoner" and others. Being very young, at the age of 19, Lesya compiled the textbook “Ancient History of Eastern people”, a brilliant poetess who, among other things, was the first to introduce a genre such as a dramatic poem into Ukrainian literature, became the first woman writer in the world who turned to Don Juan in her work, she was also an incredible scholar - she knew more than ten European languages. The poem “Obsessed” was written by Lesya in one night, immediately after the death of a loved one, Sergei Merzhinsky ... The “White House” with a solarium on the roof of the veranda, built specifically for Lesya by his father, Peter Kosach, as well as the “Gray House”, has been preserved on the territory father himself. Authentic furnishings are recreated in the houses, personal belongings of Kosachs are displayed. On the site of a large manor house is now the literary and memorial museum of Lesya Ukrainka. ( .rus)

In center is an excerpt from a poem by Lesya Ukrainka: "…За правду, браття, єднаймось щиро, Єдиний маєм правий шлях……" or in English: "...For truth, brothers, unite frankly, we all have common right path...".

On the left side of the banknote is a graphic representation of Lesya Ukrainka.

The inscriptions: "УКРАЇНА" (Ukraine) and "НАЦІОНАЛЬНИЙ БАНК УКРАЇНИ" (National Bank of Ukraine), and the banknote face value in words and numerals. Ornaments and rosettes printed in multicolored printing complete the design. Portraits, inscriptions and individual decorative elements are printed in relief printing.


200 Hryven 2011

The background of banknote consist from an artistic composition, containing an image of architectural structures - a tower (right) and a stork in flight - in the center. On the right side, between denominations, is a flower lily.

Above is an inscription: "НАЦІОНАЛЬНИЙ БАНК УКРАЇНИ" (National Bank of Ukraine). The banknote face value is printed in words and there is the numerical indication of the denomination in the four corners of the banknote. Below there is the banknote issue year. Rosettes, threads and ornaments, which are printed in multicolored printing, complete the design.

An inscription: "В'ЇЗНА ВЕЖА ЛУЦЬКОГО ЗАМКУ" (Inbound Tower of Lutsk Castle) as a half-circle, right of the tower. Under the tower is an inscription: "Київ 2007" (Kiev 2007).

lutsk zamok

Lutsk High Castle, also known as Lubart's Castle, began its life in the mid-XIV century as the fortified seat of Gediminas' son Liubartas (Lubart), the last ruler of united Galicia-Volhynia. It is the most prominent landmark of Lutsk, Ukraine.

The Lutsk (or Lubart’s) Castle is the main historic monument of the capital of Volyn. It is the only castle in Ukraine seen by nearly every Ukrainian, thanks to the fact that they hold its picture in their hand with every 200 hryvnas bill. The 28 meter-high Entrance Tower of Lutsk Castle was where the idea of a united Europe was voiced for the first time. And it happened in 1429..

The city of Lutsk appeared in the year 1000, when Prince Volodymyr the Great annexed the Volyn region to the Kievan Rus’ state. First, the Prince ordered a castle built, stopping invaders many times. Then, in 1150, Luchesk (as the city was known in ancient times) withstood a six-week siege from the troops of Kyiv-born Prince Yuri Dolgorukiy, the founder of Moscow. The son of Dolgorukiy, Prince Andriy Bogolubskiy, was nearly killed by the stones with which the residents of Lutsk met the unbidden guests.

The castle’s inhabitants not only engaged in war, but also cultural leisure activities. At least we are sure they played chess: archaeologists found carved ivory figures. But in 1261 this advanced outpost was abandoned by order of a Tartar commander. This was an ironclad edict from the Tartars in all lands that were paying tribute to them in order to avoid mutiny among the local populations.

The castle was renovated in the 1340’s, at the time of the reign of Prince Lubart, Grand Duke of Lithuania. But construction was only completed in 1542. According to historical chronicles, there were two castles in medieval Lutsk. Unfortunately, the second one, the Okolnyi Castle, was practically destroyed. Its remnants are the Chartoryisky Tower and fragments of the wall.

Still the legacy remains with the people here about how prince Lubart built a dam on the Styr River, put a drawbridge to the Entrance Tower and gradually replaced the wooden fortifications with stone ones, adding chicken eggs in the mix (and this is a type of construction reputed to last forever).

In 1392, Lutsk was transferred to Lithuanian Prince Vytautas the Great. In January of 1429 he invited European monarchs from 15 states to Lutsk. The Holy Roman (and German) Emperor Sigismund, Danish King Eric IV, Polish monarch Władysław II Jagiełło, the Grand Masters of the Teutonic and Livonian orders, a legate of Pope Martin V, Vasili II, Grand Prince of Moscow, an ambassador of the Byzantine Emperor Palaeologus and other high and mighty leaders responded to this invitation. In total more than 15,000 guests came (members of royal families and servants not counted), while the population of Lutsk itself was only about 5,000 residents! A series of very important questions were raised at this “summit”, such as forming a coalition against the growing power of the Ottoman Empire (groundwork of the modern European Union!), equal rights for Catholic and Orthodox churches, and, among other things, the coronation of Vytautas. The Pope’s Nuncio was on his way to Lutsk with a diamond-covered crown for this occasion. But it disappeared somewhere on the way. Legend has it that it was cut in pieces and dispersed throughout Europe. Whatever the reason, Vytautas was never to become king. His cousin Jagiełło refused to acknowledge Vytautas as monarch despite the fact that his domain stretched from the Baltic region to the Black Sea.

Imagine the cost to organize such a summit! Just for the coronation banquet alone (also the birth of European diplomacy) 700 oxen, 1,400 rams, 100 buffaloes and elks were consumed, and nobody even tried to count all the geese and chickens. Seven hundred barrels of beer and honey drinks were consumed daily! It seems that in the Middle Ages the term ‘diet’ was completely unknown.

Legend also speaks of another owner of the castle, Prince Svidrigailo. They say he was a shepherd in Voloschyna for seven years, until Lutsk came into his possession. Under Svidrigailo’s reign, Lutsk was said to be the unifying centre for all of Ukraine at the time. But after 1452, when Svidrigailo passed away, the history of the Volyn Principality ended.

But it was not the end of the castle’s history. Three towers of the stronghold, Vladych, Lubart and Styr, still stand today hugged by 10 meter thick walls. In Vladych there is an armoury and a unique collection of bells. In Lubart’s Tower there is an exhibition of building ceramics. And the foundation stones show where the palace of Vytautas and the church of John Bogoslov stood. “Knights’ tournaments”, known as the “Sword of Lutsk Castle”, are held here annually. And the castle of Lubart still rises over the modern city. It was so in the XIV century, it is so now and let it be so for centuries to come. (


The banknote with the signature of Sergey Arbuzov been issued into circulation since 11 November 2011.