Top
header Notes Collection

500 Rubles 2004, Russia

in Krause book Number: 271с
Years of issue: 16.08.2004 - 06.09-2011
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: Modification 2004
Specimen of: 16.08.2004
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 65
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

500 Rubles 2004

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The monument to Peter the Great.

watermark

Denomination 500.

Avers:

500 Rubles 2004

The monument to Peter the Great and sailing ship in the port of Arkhangelsk.

ArkhangelskThis is the most famous monument of Peter the Great with the view of the Arkhangelsk port is depicted on the front of a 500-ruble banknote.

Peter the Great is shown in full length. The wind is licking at the laps of his uniform and his officer’s scarf. Peter stands resting on a cane with his right hand and holding a spyglass with his left hand. Impulsive, decisive - he is forward driven, and guessing by the author’s intent, he embodies the power of Russia. A 5-m. high four-sided pedestal of the monument is cut out of a grey granite block by masters of the Solovetsky Monastery. On the sides of the base there is an inscription “To Peter the Great” and four dates: 1911 - the year they held the competition for the best base for the monument, and 1693, 1694, 1702 - the years when Peter the Great visited Arkhangelsk. The monument to Peter the Great was unveiled in July 1914 near the Troitsky Cathedral on the bank of Northern Dvina. In 1920, when Soviet power took hold in Archangelsk, the monument to Peter the Great was taken down and given to a museum. In 1950 the monument was erected again, just off to the side from where it originally stood.

ArkhangelskNear berth - Schooner "The West", Arkhangelsk.

Three-masted sailing-motor schooner. Monument of northern wooden sailing ships at the State Museum in the Northern Sea, in Arkhangelsk. Build in 1949 in Finland and transferred to the Estonian Shipping Company, where transported goods and used as a training ship.

Later transferred to the Northern Shipping Company (Arkhangelsk), used for the carriage of goods and passengers on route Umba - Kandalaksha, then transferred to the port of Naryan-Mar.

In 1953 transferred to the Naval School of Arkhangelsk, where the Naval School cadets made a practice in the White and Barents Seas.

Was used in the filming of "Georgy Sedov" (1974).

In 1980 converted into a museum.

In 1983 installed on the pier as a monument to the Red romantic era of sailing ships and the character of the first ports of Russia - Arkhangelsk.

In 1993 the schooner was certified as monument from Science and Technology Association of science museums in the Russian National Committee of the International Council of Museums.

In July 1998 by the gust of strong wind were broken all three mast of schooner.

In 2005 excluded from the list of museum exhibits of Maritime Museum and became the object of the real estate on the balance of the museum.

LibertadIt is believed that on reverse of the banknote depicted the Argentine Navy training ship "Libertad". While the official response of the Department of cash circulation of Central Bank of Russia asserts that a modification in 2010 was placed generalized image of several sailboats created by artist of Goznak.

The former chief artist of "Goznak" admitted, that last time (before the approval of the design 500,000 Rubles banknote in 1997), the Central Bank was not satisfied with the current riverboat and he replaced the image (redrewed from the photos of never sets in Russian waters Argentine Navy training ship "Libertad").

ARA Libertad (Q-2) is a steel hulled, full rigged, class "A" sailing ship that serves as a school vessel in the Argentine Navy. One of the largest and fastest tall ships in the world, holder of several speed records, she was designed and built in the 1950s by the Río Santiago Shipyard, Ensenada, Argentina. Her maiden voyage was in 1961, and she continues to be a training ship with yearly instruction trips for the graduating naval cadets as well as a traveling goodwill ambassador, having covered more than 800,000 nautical miles (1,500,000 km.) across all seas, visited about 500 ports in more than 60 countries, and trained more than 11,000 navy graduates.

ArkhangelskThe building of Sea and river station in Arkhangelsk.

Arkhangelsk sea - river station is located in the city center. It was opened in May 1972, as an integrated marine and river station. Here intersect all transport arteries of the city. On the quays near the station are served all sea and river passenger vessels and also vessels, operating on the popular tourist route Arkhangelsk - Solovki. Furthermore, Arkhangelsk icebreakers "Dixon", "Captain Chadaev", "Captain Kosolapov" and "Captain Evdokimov" based there.

In top left corner is the logo of Bank of Russia.

The Drawing of a temporary emblem of Russia (since September 14, 1917 - Russian republic) was developed by a group of experts, which included well-known artists and heraldry V.K. Lukomskii, S.N. Troinitskii, G.I. Narbut and Ivan Bilibin. Considering, that the new emblem of the Russian state may approve only the Constituent Assembly, they propose to use as a temporary two-headed eagle emblem of the era of Ivan III without attributes of royal power.

Figure emblem, made by Ivan Bilibin, was appointed by chairman of the Provisional Government, Prince G.E. Lvov and Foreign Minister P.N. Milyukov as a model for printing. Although, officially emblem has not been approved, it was in circulation before the acceptance of the Constitution of the RSFSR at July 10, 1918, which introduced a new state coat of arms. In the territory controlled by the "white forces", the logo was used, and later - in particular, it was present on the banknotes, which were issued by Ufa directory.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left corner and at the top (close to center). In words and in numeral in lower right corner.

Revers:

500 Rubles 2004

solovki solovki solovki

solovki solovki

solovki solovki solovkiI found a very interesting blog on the Solovetsky monastery. The photos are taken from here.

Solovetsky Monastery (Соловецкий монастырь) was the greatest citadel of Christianity in the Russian North before being turned into a special Soviet prison and labor camp (1926-1939), which served as a prototype for the Gulag system. Situated on the Solovetsky Islands in the White Sea, the monastery braved many changes of fortune and military sieges. Its most important structures date from the 16th century, when Filip Kolychev was its hegumen.

On the banknote the Monastery pictured in the time during the Stalin camp. Without the domes.

Denominations in numerals are in top left and right corners, also at lower right (close to center). In words and in numeral in lower left corner.

Comments:

The 500-ruble banknote is printed on high-quality cotton paper of a light-violet hue. The protective fibres of light-green, red and violet colours are chaotically embedded in the paper. The vertical security thread with repeated text seen in the transparent light is embedded in the paper. The banknote has local watermarks in the left and right coupon fields.

The emblem of the Bank of Russia is made with optically-variable ink (OVI).

The modified banknote has the same dimensions and general design as the 500-ruble banknote of 1997. The banknote colour design has been changed insignificantly. On the front of the modified banknote in the lower part of the unprinted area to the left of the main image there is a text “МОДИФИКАЦИЯ 2004 Г” (2004 modification).

The modified banknotes have the following main differences:

the security fibres of four types are embedded in the paper (red, light-green, two-coloured and grey);

the metallic window thread is embedded in the paper. It comes out on the surface on the back of the banknote;

the emblem of the Bank of Russia is printed in optically variable ink (OVI);

there is a vertically located numerical value of denomination executed by perforation;

on the front of the banknote there is a field with latent coloured waves (MVC effect) moiré variable color (MVC);

on the front the numerical value of denomination is printed in grey non-metallic ink;

images of the banknote under an ultra-violet and infra-red light have differences from the banknote of 1997.

On the back of 500 rubles (modification to 2010) depicted the Solovetsky Monastery from the Holy Lake side.

Contrary to belief, gable roof replaced by a "Dutch" sloping roofs before the revolution.

On September 6, 2011 Russian Bank put into circulation the note with modifications in 2010, on the reverse image is again the Solovetsky Monastery, but significantly changed: removed the ship, which had previously moved across the Holy Lake (this class ships have never been used by the monks and local residents), as well as to change of angle image of monastery, as a basis taken the modern look of the building.