header Notes Collection
Top

50 Rubles 2004, Russia

in Krause book Number: 269c
Years of issue: 16.08.2004
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: Modification 2004
Specimen of: 16.08.2004
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 65
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Rubles 2004

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The Peter and Paul Fortress (Петропа́вловская кре́пость,

watermark

Petropavlovskaya Krepost). Denomination in numeral lower.

Avers:

50 Rubles 2004

Saint-Peterburg.

NevaThe photo from the site of Dimitry Michaevich

The sculpture of Neva (Sculptor: Philippe Thibault) at the basement of the Rostral Column and the Peter and Paul Fortress in St.Petersburg.

These rostral columns are prominently located where the Neva River splits into the Malaya Neva River and the Bolshaya Neva River.

These two columns standing on the Strelka ("spit") of Vasilyevsky Island are as much a symbol of St. Petersburg as the open arches of Palace Bridge, the dome of St. Isaac's Cathedral, or the spires of the Admiralty and the Ss. Peter and Paul Cathedral. For over two centuries, they have formed an integral part of the city's central panorama over the River Neva, and are particularly impressive on major public holidays, when torches are lit on top of them.

Once, at this point where the River Neva splits in two - the Bolshaya Neva and Malaya Neva, St. Petersburg's main port was located. During the planning of Birzhevaya Ploshchad in 1810 the decision was taken to install two beacons indicating the two channels. Jean-Francois Thomas de Thomon, the architect of the Old Stock Exchange, decided to build the towers in the style of Roman rostral columns - victory columns on which the prows ("rostra") of captured enemy ships were mounted.

At the base of the columns sit statues of four allegorical figures supposed to represent four of Russia's major rivers - the Volga and Dnieper at the northern column, and the Neva and Volkhov at the southern column. The figure of the Dnieper was sculpted by Jozef Camberlein of Antwerp, while the other three sculptures were by Jacques Thibault, assisted by the famous Russian serf sculptor, Samson Sukhanov. De Thomon's massive 32-meter-high Doric columns are decorated with sculptures of naiads, sea creatures and anchors. The large bowls at the top of the columns were originally designed to hold hemp oil for burning. Later, electric lamps were installed as beacons, but this soon became too expensive. In 1957, the Rostral Columns were connected to the gas supply and now, on holidays such as the City Anniversary, Victory Day and New Year, the columns are topped with seven-meter-high tongues of flame.

There are two Rostral Columns on the square in front of the Stock Exchange. The 32-metre high red brick towers or lighthouses were used for their direct designation from 1727 until the middle of the nineteenth century, when a port was functioning at the Spit of Vasilyevsky Island. Inside the massive shafts of the rostral columns are winding staircases leading upstairs and there, on platforms, bowl-shaped lamps are fixed on metal tripods.

Formerly they were filled with oil that could be burnt up, but in 1957 gas was supplied to the lamps that allowed to attain a fascinating lighting effect on festive days. The Doric columns-lighthouses are triumphal monuments dedicated to the naval victories of the Russian Empire. They are decorated with rostra - the prow decorations of ships (figures of sirens) in keeping with an ancient Roman tradition according to which victors in a naval battle brought with them the prows of captured ships, and the more of them the greater one’s victory was regarded. The rostral columns are installed on powerful stepped bases, at the foot of which are set up huge monumental statues symbolizing the Volga, Dnieper, Neva and Volkhov Rivers".

The Peter and Paul Fortress (Петропа́вловская кре́пость, Petropavlovskaya Krepost) is the original citadel of St. Petersburg, Russia, founded by Peter the Great in 1703 and built to Domenico Trezzini's designs from 1706-1740. In the early 20th century, it was still used as a prison by the tsarist government.

Today it has been adapted as the central and most important part of the State Museum of Saint Petersburg History. The museum has gradually become virtually the sole owner of the fortress building, except the structure occupied by the Saint Petersburg Mint.

In top left corner is the logo of Bank of Russia.

The Drawing of a temporary emblem of Russia (since September 14, 1917 - Russian republic) was developed by a group of experts, which included well-known artists and heraldry V.K. Lukomskii, S.N. Troinitskii, G.I. Narbut and Ivan Bilibin. Considering, that the new emblem of the Russian state may approve only the Constituent Assembly, they propose to use as a temporary two-headed eagle emblem of the era of Ivan III without attributes of royal power.

Figure emblem, made by Ivan Bilibin, was appointed by chairman of the Provisional Government, Prince G.E. Lvov and Foreign Minister P.N. Milyukov as a model for printing. Although, officially emblem has not been approved, it was in circulation before the acceptance of the Constitution of the RSFSR at July 10, 1918, which introduced a new state coat of arms. In the territory controlled by the "white forces", the logo was used, and later - in particular, it was present on the banknotes, which were issued by Ufa directory.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left corner and at the top (close to center). In words and in numeral in lower right corner.

Revers:

50 Rubles 2004

The Stock Exchange and Rostral Column.

birzha SPBThe Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange (also Bourse) and Rostral Columns, located in Saint Petersburg in the Russian Federation, are significant examples of Greek Revival architecture. Designed by French architect Thomas de Thomon, and inspired by the Greek Temple of Hera at Paestum, the stock exchange was constructed between 1805 and 1810. The rostral columns erected on either side of the Stock Exchange were completed in 1811. The Old Saint Petersburg Stock Exchange is located at Birzhevaya Ploschad 4.

Denominations in numerals are in top left and right corners, also at lower right (close to center). In words and in numeral in lower left corner.

Comments:

Interesting fact: The right foot of the statue mistakenly depicted six fingers instead of five (this can be explained by the fact, that the shadow falls on the side of the foot and the artist portrayed it by the strokes, falling not exactly from the finger, but on some distance, so we think that between shadow and fifth finger is sixth).

The 50-ruble banknote is printed on high-quality cotton paper of a light-blue hue. The protective fibers of light-green, red and violet colors are chaotically embedded in the paper. The vertical security thread seen in the transmitted light is embedded in the paper. The banknote has local watermarks on the left and right coupon fields.

The modified banknote has the same dimensions and general design as the 50-ruble banknote of 1997. The banknote colour design has been changed insignificantly. On the front of the modified banknote in the lower part of the unprinted area to the left of the main image there is a text “МОДИФИКАЦИЯ 2004 Г” (2004 modification).

The modified banknotes have the following main differences:

the protective fibres of three types are embedded in the paper (red, light-green and two-coloured);

the metallic window thread is embedded in the paper. It comes out on the surface on the back of the banknote;

on the front of the banknote there is a field with latent coloured waves (MVC effect) moiré variable color (MVC);

on the front the numeric value of denomination is printed in grey non-metallic ink;

images of the banknote under an ultra-violet and infra-red light have differences from the banknote of 1997.