Top
header Notes Collection

10000 Rubles 1993, Russia

in Krause book Number: 259
Years of issue: 1993
Edition: --
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1993 Issue
Specimen of: 1993
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 67
Printer: Goznak, Московская печатная фабрика - филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10000 Rubles 1993

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The Senate (Senatskaya) Tower with Russian flag on top of Senate building.

Avers:

10000 Rubles 1993

Moscow Kremlin.

KremlinThe photo by Petr Ushanov. 2011

The Spasskaya Tower (Спасская башня, translated as "Saviour Tower") is the main tower with a through-passage on the eastern wall of the Moscow Kremlin, which overlooks the Red Square.

The Spasskaya Tower was built in 1491 by an Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari. Initially, it was named the Frolovskaya Tower after the Church of Frol and Lavr in the Kremlin (no longer there). The tower's modern name comes from the icon of Spas Nerukotvorny (The Saviour Not Made by Hands), which was placed above the gates on the inside wall in 1658 (it was removed in 1917) and the wall-painted icon of Spas Smolensky (Smolensky Saviour), which was created in the 16th century on the outside wall of tower (plastered over in 1937, reopened and restored in 2010). The Spasskaya Tower was the first one to be crowned with the hipped roof in 1624-1625 by architects Bazhen Ogurtsov and Christopher Halloway (a Scottish architect and clockmaker). According to a number of historical accounts, the clock on the Spasskaya Tower appeared between 1491 and 1585. It is usually referred to as the Kremlin chimes (Кремлёвские куранты) and they designate official Moscow Time.

The Senate (Senatskaya) Tower.

This gateless, quadrangular defensive tower was built between the Spasskaya (then Frolovskaya) and Nikolskaya towers in 1491, by architect Pietro Antonio Solari. As with most of the other Kremlin towers, a tent roof was added in the late 17th century. Inside the tower are three levels of vaulted chambers. The tower's principal function was defensive, and for a long time it remained nameless. It became known as the Senate Tower only in 1790, after the construction of the Kremlin's Senate building. The dome of the Senate is visible from Red Square. A memorial plaque by sculptor S. Konenkov was mounted on the tower in 1918 above the site of a mass grave of Bolsheviks who were killed during the October Revolution. Now in the museum, the dedication reads "To Those Who fell in the Struggle for Peace and the Brotherhood of Nations".

The St. Nicholas (Nikolskaya) Tower.

The St. Nicholas Tower, on the northern side of the Kremlin near the State Historical Museum, was built in 1492, at the same time as the neighbouring Spasskaya Tower. A gateway once ran through the sturdy base of the tower, defended by a bastion and drawbridge. The tower's name stems from an Icon of St. Nicholas mounted above the gate. Traditionally, disputes and arguments were resolved beneath the icon.

The gate led to the boyars' mansions and the monastic buildings within the Kremlin.

In 1612, during the struggle with Polish interventionists, a Russian volunteer army led by Duke Dmitry Pozharsky and Kuzma Minin burst through the gates of the tower to liberate the Kremlin from the enemy. In 1812 a section of the tower, including the roof, was destroyed by French troops. From 1816-1819, the tower was reconstructed, and the damaged roof replaced with a new Gothic one made of iron, with openwork details. Four white-stone corner turrets were added to the tower's base.

During the October Revolution the St. Nicholas Tower was badly damaged by artillery fire, but was repaired within a year.

The tower measures 70 meters including the red star erected in 1937.

The Corner Arsenal (Uglovaya Arsenalanya) Tower.

This corner tower, 60 meters in height, was built in 1492 under the supervision of the Italian architect Pietro Antonio Solari, as part of the Kremlin's northern defensive line. The wide-based tower is perhaps the most monumental of all the Kremlin's turrets, boasting walls more than 4 meters thick. In the cellars deep beneath the tower is said to be a spring from which clean water still flows today.

In medieval times there was also a secret passage, which led from the tower to the Neglinnaya River. During the 15th-16th centuries the tower was strengthened by the addition of a semi-circular wall. The tower was originally named Sobakinaya, after the nearby residence of the boyar Sobakin, but after the construction of the Kremlin's Arsenal building in the 18th century, it adopted its present name. During the Napoleonic War of 1812, the French invaders blew up large sections of the Kremlin before their retreat from Moscow, and large cracks appeared in the base of the Corner Arsenal Tower as a result of the explosions. The tower was eventually restored, but only between 1946 and 1957.

Denomination in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. In words centered.

Revers:

10000 Rubles 1993

senat tower

The Senate (Senatskaya) Tower with Russian flag on top of Senate building.

This gateless, quadrangular defensive tower was built between the Spasskaya (then Frolovskaya) and Nikolskaya towers in 1491, by architect Pietro Antonio Solari. As with most of the other Kremlin towers, a tent roof was added in the late XVII century. Inside the tower are three levels of vaulted chambers. The tower's principal function was defensive, and for a long time it remained nameless. It became known as the Senate Tower only in 1790, after the construction of the Kremlin's Senate building.

A memorial plaque by sculptor S. Konenkov was mounted on the tower in 1918 above the site of a mass grave of Bolsheviks who were killed during the October Revolution. Now in the museum, the dedication reads "To Those Who fell in the Struggle for Peace and the Brotherhood of Nations".

The dome of the Senate is visible from Red Square.

The Kremlin Senate (Russian: Сенатский дворец) is a building within the grounds of the Moscow Kremlin in Russia. Initially constructed from 1776 to 1787, it originally housed the Moscow branch of the Governing Senate, the highest judiciary and legislative office of Imperial Russia. Currently, it houses the Russian presidential administration and is a highly secured and restricted area closed to the public. At present, only the southern corner façade, opposite the Tsar Cannon can be viewed.

The flag of the Russian Federation is a tricolor flag consisting of three equal horizontal fields; white on the top, blue in the middle and red on the bottom.

4 denominations in numerals. In words are centered and lower.

Comments: