Top
header Notes Collection

5 Lati 1940, Latvia

in Krause book Number: 34a
Years of issue: 1940
Edition:
Signatures: Finanšu ministrs: Kārlis Karlsons, Valsts Saimn. dep. direktors: Ernest Voldemārs Bastjānis
Serie: No Serie
Specimen of: 1940
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 115 х 63
Printer: A/S "Ed. Bruns un biedri", Juglasmuiža, Riga

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Lati 1940

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Hardwood patterns.

Avers:

5 Lati 1940

Turaides Turaides Turaides

In the center is a bridge across the Gauja River (Turaida Bridge), which is 8 km away. from the center of Sigulda, on the P8 highway, where the streets Turaides iela and Gaujas iela are connecting.

The bridge of a unique, three-bearing, reinforced concrete structure was built in Sigulda 80 years ago - its opening took place on July 23, 1937.

The bridge across the Gauja in 1937 connected Sigulda, Turaida and Krimulda and became one of the most photographed bridges in Latvia, especially during the golden autumn. The total length of the bridge is 153 meters, the height above the river is 16 meters.

A new waterproofing was made on the bridge, a new asphalt covering was laid, the sidewalks were expanded. (https://ru.sputniknewslv.com .rus)

Turaides

Denomination in numeral is on the left side.

Revers:

5 Lati 1940

coat Latvia

The Latvian national Coat of Arms was formed after the proclamation of an independent Republic of Latvia on November 18, 1918, and was officially adopted on June 16, 1921. It was especially created for its independent statehood. The national coat of arms combines symbols of Latvian national statehood, as well as symbols of ancient historical districts.

The sun in the upper part of the coat of arms symbolizes Latvian national statehood. A stylized depiction of the sun was used as a symbol of distinction and national identity by the Imperial Russian Army's Latvian Riflemen during World War I. During the war, the sun figure was fashioned with 17 rays that symbolized the 17 Latvian-inhabited districts. The three stars above the coat of arms embody the idea of the inclusion of historical districts (Vidzeme, Latgale and combined Courland-Semigalia (Kurzeme-Zemgale) into the united Latvia.

Culturally historical regions are also characterized by older heraldic figures, which already appeared in the XVII century. Courland and Semigalia (Western Latvia) are symbolized by a red lion, which appears as early as 1569 in the coat of arms of the former Duke of Courland and Semigalia. Vidzeme and Latgale (Eastern Latvia) are symbolized by the legendary winged silver creature with an eagle's head, a griffin. This symbol appeared in 1566, when the territories known today as Vidzeme and Latgale had come under Lithuanian control.

Base of the coat of arms is decorated with the branches of an oak tree, Quercus robur, which is one of Latvian national symbols.

The Latvian national coat of arms was designed by the Latvian artist Rihards Zariņš.

Denominations in numerals are on the left and right sides. Top, in center, in words.

Comments:

Engraver: Harijs Gricēvičs.

Bruns un biedri

Banknote printer - company "Ed.Brūns un biedri".

Wooden residential building - manor house in Jugla (Jägelshof) was built at the end of the 18th century or at the beginning of the 19th century. In this estate there used to be - J. Pfeils Sugar Mill and a linen factory. At the end of the 1930s of the XX century, on the estate's territory, there was a paper mill "Ed.Brūns un biedri" ("Ed. Brūns and accomplices") (the former Brūns Paper Mill, founded in 1884). The house is located on Nautrenu St. 18. The building of classicism is a monument of architecture. (www.europeana.eu .lat)