Top
header Notes Collection

5 Gulden 1984, Netherlands Antilles

in Krause book Number: 15b
Years of issue: 01.06.1984
Edition: --
Signatures: De Secretaris: J.H.G Driessen, De Directeur: Drs. L. Wong
Serie: Series 1970 - 1980
Specimen of: 01.06.1984
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 154 x 65
Printer: Joh. Enschede en Zonen, Haarlem

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Gulden 1984

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Letters NA (Nederlandse Antillen).

Avers:

5 Gulden 1984

View of the center of Curacao.

bridge

The Queen Emma Bridge is a pontoon bridge across St. Anna Bay, in Curaçao. It connects the Punda and Otrobanda quarters of the capital city, Willemstad. The bridge is hinged and opens regularly to enable the passage of ocean going vessels. On the opposite end from the hinge is a small shelter where an operator controls two diesel engines turning propellers. The propellers are mounted perpendicular to the length of the bridge and allow it to swing parallel to the shore. The process only takes a few minutes to complete. The bridge was built in 1888 by Leonard Burlington Smith and was completely renovated in 1939. Originally it was a toll bridge. Individuals without shoes were permitted to cross the bridge without paying the toll; however, today, a toll is no longer applied. When the bridge swings open, two ferries spring into action to bring pedestrians across the water.

monument

On the left side is the Statuut Monument with the following inscription on it: "Steunend op eigen kracht doch met de wil elkander bij te staan." Monument at the beginning of National Unity Boulevard in Willemstad. This memorial, opened by HM Queen Juliana in 1955 during her first visit to the island, as head of state. Six birds interconnectedness with each other, symbolizing the six islands, including Aruba, decorated with the slogan "Building on its own, but with the desire to help each other."

Denominations are on the right side and in lower left corner.

Revers:

5 Gulden 1984

Coat of arms is centered.

coat

The coat of arms of the Netherlands Antilles consisted of a shield, a crown and the motto. The shield itself showed five blue stars on a golden background, within a red border. These five stars stood for the five islands of the Netherlands Antilles and also were represented in the flag. The crown atop the shield was that of the Dutch sovereign. Under the shield was a ribbon with the motto "Libertate Unanimus" ("United in Freedom"). The ultimate coat of arms was adopted on 1 January 1986, the day that Aruba separated from the Netherlands Antilles and acquired a status "aparte" within the Kingdom of the Netherlands. This coat of arms replaced the previous version, which had been in use since 23 October 1964 and contained six stars: again one for each island including Aruba.

Denominations are in top right and left corners, large one centered.

Comments:

Interesting fact:

Curacao - the main and the largest island the Lesser Antilles. According to one legend, on the way to the coast of South America, Spanish explorer Alonso de Ojeda left on the island some sailors suffering from scurvy, but they miraculously healed, and he named the island as Curacao (from the word "cure" - healing).