header Notes Collection
Top

2 Liri 1986, Malta

in Krause book Number: 37a
Years of issue: 17.03.1986 - 18.09.1989
Edition: --
Signatures: Gvernatur: Mr. Henry C de Gabriele
Serie: Fourth Series
Specimen of: 17.03.1986
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 138 х 69
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

2 Liri 1986

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Allegorical head of Malta - Melita.

Avers:

2 Liri 1986

Agatha Barbara (11 March 1923 - 4 February 2002) was a Maltese politician, having served as a Labour Member of Parliament and Minister, and President of Malta. She was the first female President of Malta.

Barbara was born in Żabbar, Malta, in 1923. Her father worked for the British Navy as a tug master (a skilled pilot of tugboats) and was very poorly paid. Her mother struggled to feed the nine children on her husband's wages. Agatha was the second child and the eldest daughter. She pleaded her parents to send her to school and attended grammar school in Valletta. But the Second World War prevented her from continuing to college. She had to work as an air raid warden and supervised one of the kitchens set up by the British military to feed the population. After the war she became a school teacher and got involved in politics. She became a member of the Malta Labor Party (MLP), was very active in party affairs, became member of the MLP executive committee, headed the party women's branch and founded the Women's Political Movement in Malta.

From 1947, Malta had limited self-government. Voting rights for women were raised by the Women of Malta Association and the Malta Labor Party against loud protests from the Church. The proposal was adopted by a narrow majority. The clashes spurred Barbara to show what women could do, so when people encouraged her, she stood for election in 1947. She became the first and only woman among the 40 MPs, and she was the only woman candidate to successfully contest in ten consecutive elections, until 1982, when she resigned to become President.

Agatha Barbara became known as a warm defender of economic and social reforms. She was Malta's first and until the end of the 1990s only woman cabinet minister. When MLP came to power for the first time in 1955, she was appointed as education minister by Dom Mintoff from 1955 to 1958. She undertook comprehensive reforms: instituted compulsory full-time basic education for all children, established a teacher training college and special schools for the disabled, made secondary school free and provided science classes for both girls and boys. In 1958 relations between the British and the Maltese deteriorated. Protests erupted in the streets and Mintoff resigned. Barbara participated in the demonstrations and was sentenced to 43 days "with hard labor". When Mintoff came to power again in 1971, Agatha Barbara was appointed minister of education again. Now compulsory basic education was extended from the age of 14 to 16, trade and technical schools were established and university fees were abolished. In 1974 she became minister for labor, culture and welfare. She worked to reduce unemployment and improve workers' pay and conditions and industrial relations. She introduced a law on equal pay for women and men, paid maternity leave, a 40-hour working week and retirement and unemployment benefits. She also set up a number of national museums. In 1976 Agatha Barbara became deputy chair of the MLP parliamentary group, but not of the party, and deputy prime minister. For shorter periods she served as deputy for Mintoff.

In 1981 elections led to a constitutional crisis because the National Party (PN) won a majority of the votes, but only got a minority in parliament: 31 seats against 34 for MLP. PN boycotted parliament and organized protests. Nevertheless, Mintoff took power, but instead of becoming minister, Barbara was elected as the first woman president, 59 years old, on 15 February 1982. She was the third President of the Republic. Usually the position was mainly ceremonial, but her task now was to resolve the constitutional crises, and she managed to do this, preventing the situation from evolving into civil war. In 1987 her term expired and she withdrew from politics. Barbara appeared on the old series of monetary notes of Malta. She retired in Żabbar, where she was born, and died in 2002. A monument in her honor was unveiled in Żabbar on 23 April 2006 by the then President of Malta, Dr.Edward Fenech Adami.

brigantineImage of ancient Maltese Brigantine "Ta Salvo Serafino", 1531. Brigantine was named to commemorate Italian painter Salvo Serafino.

In sailing, a brigantine is a two-masted vessel with foremast fully square rigged and her mainmast rigged with both a fore-and-aft mainsail (a gaff sail) and a square topsail, and possibly a topgallant sail. Originally the brigantine was a sail- and oar-driven warship used in the Mediterranean in the XIII century. It was la-teen rigged on two masts and had between eight and twelve oars on each side. Its speed, maneuverability and ease of handling made it a favourite of the Mediterranean pirates. Its name is derived from the Italian word brigantino, meaning brigand.

Nearby is the map of Malta.

In top left corner is the white dove with olive branch, as a symbol of peace.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. Centered in words.

Revers:

2 Liri 1986

Dockside crane & Harbor aerial view at Marsaxlokk Harbour.

Marsaxlokk HarbourMalta Free port is an international port on the island of Malta with a trade volume of 2.56 million TEUs in 2012. It is one of busiest ports in Europe. Lies in Birżebbuġa in the southeastern part of Malta, on the site of the former seaplane base "RAF Kalafrana".

Having been established in 1988, Malta Freeport was the first transhipment hub in the Mediterranean region. The company has experienced remarkable growth over the years and currently ranks twelfth among the top European ports and is the third largest transhipment and logistics center in the Mediterranean region. Over 95% of the Free port's container traffic is transhipment business with demand growth triggering successive rounds of funding and ownership changes.

As the Mediterranean's third largest transhipment port, Malta Free port represents a strategic platform for the shipping lines that have chosen it as their Mediterranean hub port being located at the crossroads of some of the world's greatest shipping routes and in the heart of the Europe, Africa and Asian's Middle East triangle. Malta Free port terminals will be increasing its quay length on both terminals from the present operational length of 2.2 kilometers to over 3 kilometers and the total area (from 680,000) to 790,000 square meters (0.79 km2).

Marsaxlokk is a traditional fishing village located in the south-eastern part of Malta, with a population of 3,277 people (NSO Report, Dec 2008). The village’s name comes from Marsa, which means "port" and xlokk, which is the local name for south east. The word is related to the name for the dry sirocco wind that blows from the Sahara, comparable to the equivalent Catalan word, "xaloc". In recent decades, the village has been the site for wet bulk operations. Malta's new main power station is here. Discharge of petroleum products takes place mainly at the Enemalta discharge installation point at Birżebbuġa. Apart from this, Oil Tanking (Malta) Ltd. operates an independent oil terminal at Marsaxlokk, which has discharge and loading points along the breakwater pier and offers storage, blending, and bunkering facilities.

Birżebbuġa is a seaside resort not far from Marsaxlokk in south-east Malta. It is approximately 8 miles (13 kilometers) from the City of Valletta. Popular among Maltese holiday-makers for decades, this village is perhaps best known for its important archaeological sites, especially Għar Dalam and "Borg in-Nadur" and a sandy beach commonly known as "Pretty Bay". The village name "Birżebbuġa", from the Maltese, means a "well of olives". Such linguistic evidence established early inhabitants were in the south of the island since the first millennium. The name also indicates climate and food.

Raf_KalafranaRAF Kalafrana in the 1920s.

"RAF Kalafrana" was a seaplane operations center on the southernmost tip of Malta between 1917 and 1946, when it was transferred to the Royal Navy. It played an important role in both world wars, starting as a base for anti-submarine and anti-piracy operations, its role being expanded to include Air Sea Rescue (ASR) operations as aircraft usage and accident rates increased in the inter war years.

Maltese coat of arms is in top left corner.

coat

This coat of arms was adopted on the 11 July 1975, seven months after Malta became a republic. It showed a coastal scene with the rising sun, a traditional Maltese boat, a shovel and a pitchfork, and an Opuntia. All of these symbols are somewhat connected to Malta. Underneath the image the then new name of the state "Repubblika Ta' Malta" (Republic of Malta) was written. This coat of arms was controversial and it was replaced by the current coat of arms soon after the Nationalist Party won the 1987 election.

A dgħajsa (pronounced dysa in Maltese) is a traditional water taxi from Malta. The design of the Dghajsa, like that of another Maltese boat, the luzzu, is believed to date back at least to the Phoenician times. It was mainly used in the area of the Grand Harbour, to carry passengers and small baggage from ships to shore. It was usually propelled by one man standing, facing forward, and pushing on two oars. The high stem and stern pieces seem to be mainly ornamental but they are useful in handling the boat and in the boarding and disembarking of passengers. The decorative symbols vary from boat to boat. Nowadays Dghajjes are no longer used as water taxis but as tourist attractions. They are sometimes motorised with diesel engines. The Dghajsa is one of the symbols of Malta and it appeared on the coat of arms of Malta from 1975 to 1988.

Opuntia, also known as nopales or paddle cactus, is a genus in the cactus family, Cactaceae. They are found in the Mediterranean region of Northern Africa, especially in the most northern nation of Africa, Tunisia, where they grow all over the countryside, and southern Europe, especially on the island nation of Malta, where they grow all over the islands, in the south-east of Spain, and can be found in enormous numbers in parts of South Africa, where it was introduced from South America. On the island of Malta, from the fruit of the paddle cactus, is the liqueur produced (Ambrosia Bajtra 21% vol.), which is the national alcoholic beverage.

Pitchfork and shovel on the shore are the symbol of agriculture.

The eye of god Osiris, painted on the bow, has a particular importance. It is considered here as a symbol of happiness.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. Centered in words.

Comments:

On 17 March 1986, the Central Bank issued a new set of four notes -namely Lm2, Lm5, Lm10, Lm20 called the CBM 4th series. This issue marked the appearance of the Lm20 and the Lm2 note. The Lm1 note was replaced in 1986 by a coin. For the first time the notes included a portrait of the President of the Republic as Head of State.

Withdrawn from circulation at 15.06.1998.