header Notes Collection
Top

1 Pound 1969, Malta

in Krause book Number: 29а
Years of issue: 24.09.1969
Edition: --
Signatures: Governor: Dr. Philip L Hogg
Serie: 1967 Central Bank Act
Specimen of: 24.09.1969
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 139 х 76
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Pound 1969

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Allegorical head of Malta - Melita.

Avers:

1 Pound 1969

HM The Queen

This widely used portrait of the Queen is adapted from a painting by Pietro Annigoni. HM standing regally with a distant, but lonely aspect. The portrait is regarded by many as one of the finest portrayals of the young Queen.

It was privately commissioned by the „Worshipful Company of Fishmongers” in 1954, but not completed until 1956. The Queen displayed in white portrait room at Buckingham Palace. The painting is now displayed in Fishmongers Hall, in London.

The engraving on banknote made from this portrait.

HM depicted in Mantle of the Order of the Garter.

One of the most distinctive pieces of the wardrobe of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - England's highest chivalric order - is the Mantle, sometimes referred to as a robe, cloak, or cape. The Mantle has been used in one form or another, with varying fabrics and colors, since the 15th century. The current version is made of dark blue velvet lined with white taffeta and is accented by a red velvet hood (also lined with white taffeta), elaborate cords for closure, and white ribbons at the shoulders. The Garter Collar, with the Great George as a pendant (not visible in the portrait), is draped over the Mantle across the shoulders. (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

Order of the Garter

Various legends account for the origin of the Order. The most popular legend involves the "Countess of Salisbury" (either Edward's future daughter-in-law Joan of Kent or her former mother-in-law, Catherine Montacute, Countess of Salisbury). While she was dancing at a court ball at Calais, her garter is said to have slipped from her leg. When the surrounding courtiers sniggered, the king picked it up and returned it to her, exclaiming: "Honi soit qui mal y pense," ("Shamed be the person who thinks evil of it."), the phrase that has become the motto of the Order.

A representation of a blue garter adorned with the motto of the Order of the Garter (Honi soit qui mal y pense, "Shame on he who thinks ill of it") can be seen on various items worn by members of the Order, but a far more rare sight today is the actual Garter that comes along with the rest of the insignia. The Garter is made of a blue fabric embellished with the Order's motto and closed with a buckle. The materials and design can vary (blue velvet and diamonds or blue silk and gold, for example). (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

On the left shoulder of Her Majesty is the Order of the Garter Star.

Order of the Garter Star

This star was given to The Queen (when Princess Elizabeth) by King George VI at the time of her investiture with the Order of the Garter in 1947. The star (and accompanying badge) were originally a present from the Royal Navy to the King (when Duke of York) at the time of his wedding in 1923. The Queen wore the badge and star with the Coronation Dress during her Commonwealth tour of 1953-1954.

The Queen, as Sovereign of the Order, has a fancier Mantle than the rest of the members: hers has the longest train, which requires two Pages of Honour to manage, and a Garter Star. The rest of the members wear a Mantle with a sewn on patch depicting the heraldic shield of St. George's Cross encircled by the famous blue garter which bears the Order's motto, “Honi soit qui mal y pense” ("Shame on he who thinks ill of it"). The Queen's Mantle has a bejeweled Garter Star of metal. (The Royal Tour)

Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings

She is also wearing Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings. The wedding gift from the future King Edward VII to his bride, Alexandra of Denmark. Also known as Queen Alexandra's Cluster Earrings, these two button earrings have large pearls surrounded by diamonds - 10 larger stones each plus smaller filler stones to create a full diamond ring. Like the brooch, these passed to the Queen via Queen Mary. They're now worn primarily at evening functions.

In center is Maltese cross with Saint George Killing the Dragon.

The Maltese cross, in Italy also known as the Amalfi cross, is the cross symbol associated with the Knights Hospitaller (the Knights of Malta) and by extension with the island of Malta. The cross is eight-pointed and has the form of four "V"-shaped elements, each joining the others at its vertex, leaving the other two tips spread outward symmetrically. Its design is based on crosses used since the First Crusade. It is also the modern symbol of Amalfi, a small Italian republic of the 11th century.

In the mid 16th century, when the Knights were at Malta, the familiar design now known as the "Maltese Cross" became associated with the island.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. Centered in words.

Revers:

1 Pound 1969

Aerial view of Marsa industrial Estate.

In the inner part of the Grand Harbour there are the well-protected creeks of Marsa, an important place since olden times. In the map of Malta that Jean Quentin published in 1536, there is indicated the place Marsa Hortus. Since the oldest times, the place was known as Il-Marsa, an Arabic word that means a port where ships anchor themselves. The creek was also known as Taz-Zewg Marsiet, one with the name Marsa z-Zghira, and the other with the name Marsa l-Kbira. The former was also known as Xatt il-Qwabar, which started near Bridge Wharf up to where the Gas Works were built. Qwabar is the plural of the world qabru, which is an amphibious organism like the crab, and sometimes the Qabru was called a freshwater crab. It might have been common in this area. We also find snails having the shape of a heart, with a black shell, which used to be found in the creek and was called arzell tal-Marsa. In the inner part there is the Marsa l-Kbira, which ends up near the church of Cejlu. It had also become known as Portu Novu. The two creeks are separated from the Gholja tal-Gizwiti, behind which there is the large plain land that goes up to the outskirts of Hal Qormi. Here, one can notice the low level of the land and valleys, one called Wied is-Sewda, and the other Wied il-Kbir, which both end there.

Besides Marsa there are four other places in our country whose name consists of the word Marsa joined to another word. These are Marsamxett, Marsaxlokk, Marsascala, and Marsalforn. Each have something to do with the sea, and all make part of a harbour, if they themselves are not harbours. Il-Marsa was so known as doubtlessly it controlled the inner important port. The megalithic remains in Kordin and close by areas, as well as other Phoenician and Roman remains on the Gholja tal-Gizwiti indicate clearly that the harbour was regarded as an important necessity by these people.

With the opening of the Suez Canal, Malta was given an importance greater than it had. Therefore this required a larger seaport, and this was to be built on the Marsa side. In 1800 the Government had already shown interest as a seaport could be built there so as to serve as shelter to ships during storms. During the time of Governor Le Marchant (1859), the project wa taen seriously and it was estimated at a price of 250,000 pounds. Work started in 1861. So as to make way, all plains, pools and marshes had to be removed. Many worked on this for six years. While working on the land, they discovered many ancient objects, amongst them marble columns, statues and pottery jars. Stone baths which were also used for fish were found. Remains of a large building in the beginning of Kordin hill was excavated. When the Portu Novu was completed, a dock basin having an area of 38,000 square yards was added to the main construction having an area of 170,000 square yards. The work for this new construction, which was under the control of contractors, was designed by architects Andrews and Galizia.

The Admiralty paid its share of 187,110 pounds, and the Maltese Treasury paid 73,610 pounds, besides several other expenses that it made. The Government Council, had to pay another 660 pounds for the work on the port, lamps, and gas. The Portu Novu had a customs house and stores that costed 7,312 pounds. In the area in which the lawyer Guzeppi Zammit had built the Madonna tal-Grazzja church, some businessmen had constructed their own storehouses, factories, or homes. Some merchandise tents and coal magazines were also built. The seaport consists of high quays and wharfs. Later on a metal bridge was constructed, and this went to the path that led to the inlet. This was constructed under the direction of engineer Fredrick Jones.

Denomination in numeral is in lower left corner. Lower right in words.

Comments:

TDLR Portrait Bradbury Wilkinson Portrait De La Rue version of the portrait. In this version, the darker shading on the side of The Queen's face below her temple has a distinct edge, highlighting her cheekbone. In addition, the braid on her cloak is drawn more simply and regularly.

Bradbury Wilkinson version of the portrait. The distinguishing features of this portrait are the even shading on side of The Queen's face, below her temple, and the distinct highlights given to the braid on the front of Her cloak, which originates from the bow on Her left shoulder.