header Notes Collection

10 Shillings 1969, Malta

in Krause book Number: 29а
Years of issue: 24.09.1969
Edition: --
Signatures: Governor: Dr. Philip L Hogg
Serie: 1967 Central Bank Act
Specimen of: 24.09.1969
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 134 х 70
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Shillings 1969




Allegorical head of Malta - Melita.


10 Shillings 1969

HM The Queen

This widely used portrait of the Queen is adapted from a painting by Pietro Annigoni. HM standing regally with a distant, but lonely aspect. The portrait is regarded by many as one of the finest portrayals of the young Queen.

It was privately commissioned by the „Worshipful Company of Fishmongers” in 1954, but not completed until 1956. The Queen displayed in white portrait room at Buckingham Palace. The painting is now displayed in Fishmongers Hall, in London.

The engraving on banknote made from this portrait.

HM depicted in Mantle of the Order of the Garter.

One of the most distinctive pieces of the wardrobe of the Most Noble Order of the Garter - England's highest chivalric order - is the Mantle, sometimes referred to as a robe, cloak, or cape. The Mantle has been used in one form or another, with varying fabrics and colors, since the 15th century. The current version is made of dark blue velvet lined with white taffeta and is accented by a red velvet hood (also lined with white taffeta), elaborate cords for closure, and white ribbons at the shoulders. The Garter Collar, with the Great George as a pendant (not visible in the portrait), is draped over the Mantle across the shoulders. (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

Order of the Garter

Various legends account for the origin of the Order. The most popular legend involves the "Countess of Salisbury" (either Edward's future daughter-in-law Joan of Kent or her former mother-in-law, Catherine Montacute, Countess of Salisbury). While she was dancing at a court ball at Calais, her garter is said to have slipped from her leg. When the surrounding courtiers sniggered, the king picked it up and returned it to her, exclaiming: "Honi soit qui mal y pense," ("Shamed be the person who thinks evil of it."), the phrase that has become the motto of the Order.

A representation of a blue garter adorned with the motto of the Order of the Garter (Honi soit qui mal y pense, "Shame on he who thinks ill of it") can be seen on various items worn by members of the Order, but a far more rare sight today is the actual Garter that comes along with the rest of the insignia. The Garter is made of a blue fabric embellished with the Order's motto and closed with a buckle. The materials and design can vary (blue velvet and diamonds or blue silk and gold, for example). (Her Majesty’s Jewel vault)

On the left shoulder of Her Majesty is the Order of the Garter Star.

Order of the Garter Star

This star was given to The Queen (when Princess Elizabeth) by King George VI at the time of her investiture with the Order of the Garter in 1947. The star (and accompanying badge) were originally a present from the Royal Navy to the King (when Duke of York) at the time of his wedding in 1923. The Queen wore the badge and star with the Coronation Dress during her Commonwealth tour of 1953-1954.

The Queen, as Sovereign of the Order, has a fancier Mantle than the rest of the members: hers has the longest train, which requires two Pages of Honour to manage, and a Garter Star. The rest of the members wear a Mantle with a sewn on patch depicting the heraldic shield of St. George's Cross encircled by the famous blue garter which bears the Order's motto, “Honi soit qui mal y pense” ("Shame on he who thinks ill of it"). The Queen's Mantle has a bejeweled Garter Star of metal. (The Royal Tour)

Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings

She is also wearing Queen Alexandra’s Cluster Earrings. The wedding gift from the future King Edward VII to his bride, Alexandra of Denmark. Also known as Queen Alexandra's Cluster Earrings, these two button earrings have large pearls surrounded by diamonds - 10 larger stones each plus smaller filler stones to create a full diamond ring. Like the brooch, these passed to the Queen via Queen Mary. They're now worn primarily at evening functions.

In center is Maltese cross with Saint George Killing the Dragon.

The Maltese cross, in Italy also known as the Amalfi cross, is the cross symbol associated with the Knights Hospitaller (the Knights of Malta) and by extension with the island of Malta. The cross is eight-pointed and has the form of four "V"-shaped elements, each joining the others at its vertex, leaving the other two tips spread outward symmetrically. Its design is based on crosses used since the First Crusade. It is also the modern symbol of Amalfi, a small Italian republic of the 11th century.

In the mid 16th century, when the Knights were at Malta, the familiar design now known as the "Maltese Cross" became associated with the island.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. Centered in words.


10 Shillings 1969

MgarrMgarr town harbor on the eastern side of the island of Gozo.

Mġarr is town and harbour at the east end of Gozo, Malta. The town of Mġarr grew up around the shallow harbour which shares its name.

Ferry services to Malta were in operation by 1241, and fishing was already established. While the area around the harbour was developed over the following centuries, there was little development of the harbour itself until 1841, when a breakwater was constructed to provide more shelter to the port. This breakwater was strengthened and extended several times up to 1906. A larger breakwater was constructed between 1929 and 1935, and two more in 1969; on the completion of the latter, the area of the port was expanded to 121,400 square meters.

Mġarr is the largest fishing village on Gozo. In addition to the ferry terminal, a yacht marina is also located in the town. Mġarr is overlooked by Fort Chambray, constructed in 1749 by the Knights of St.John.

Our Lady of Lourdes ChapelOn the mountain is the Our Lady of Lourdes Chapel (Madonna ta' Lourdes).

This chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Lourdes stands on a promontory overlooking Mġarr Harbour. It enjoys spectacular views of the Gozo Channel and the Island of Malta and can be easily reached on foot or by car from the harbour or from the village of Għajnsielem.

A statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes sculpted by Antonio Busuttil was placed in a natural cavity beneath the promontory in 1879. On 3rd June 1888, it was blessed by Bishop Pietro Pace who urged devotees to help him raise a chapel. The foundation stone was laid just one week later and the chapel opened in summer 1893. It was consecrated in 1949.

Our Lady of Lourdes ChapelDesigned by Emmanuel Galizia and built by stonemason Wiġi Vella of Żebbuġ, the chapel has a Gothic style with a steeply pitched roof, lance windows and a series of buttresses topped with pinnacles. A circular rose window adorns the gable over the main door while, at the other end, a square tower is topped by a tall, slender spire. The tower has a set of five bells and at its top, immediately under the spire, there are four clock faces.

Inside, the chapel has a ribbed Gothic vaulted roof and is dominated by a statue of the Virgin Mary of Lourdes. This statue was sculpted by Carlo Darmanin and donated by Karolina Mamo-Bruno in 1893.

The feast is celebrated on the 11th February, the date of the first apparition of Lourdes. Throughout the feast many people from all over the island flock to the chapel to hear mass and pray. (

Denomination in numeral is in lower left corner. Lower right in words.


TDLR Portrait Bradbury Wilkinson Portrait De La Rue version of the portrait. In this version, the darker shading on the side of The Queen's face below her temple has a distinct edge, highlighting her cheekbone. In addition, the braid on her cloak is drawn more simply and regularly.

Bradbury Wilkinson version of the portrait. The distinguishing features of this portrait are the even shading on side of The Queen's face, below her temple, and the distinct highlights given to the braid on the front of Her cloak, which originates from the bow on Her left shoulder.