Top
header Notes Collection

5 Pounds 2001, Cyprus

in Krause book Number: 61а
Years of issue: 01.02..2001
Edition: G - L 5 000 000
Signatures: Director: Afxentis Afxentiou
Serie: 1997 - 2001 Issue
Specimen of: 01.02.1997
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 148 х 72
Printer: Francois-Charles Oberthur Fiduciaire SA, Colombes

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Pounds 2001

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Bust of Aphrodite. Aphrodite (Ἀφροδίτη) is the Greek goddess of love, beauty, pleasure, and procreation. Her Roman equivalent is the goddess Venus.

Avers:

5 Pounds 2001

head

The image of young man's head (antique sculpture) of limestone dating from the V century BC.

coat Cyprus

In top center is the coat of arms of Cyprus.

The coat of arms of the Republic of Cyprus depicts a dove carrying an olive branch (a well-known symbol of peace) over “1960”, the year of Cypriot independence from British rule. The background is a copper-yellow colour; this symbolises the large deposits of copper ore on Cyprus (chiefly in the form of chalcopyrite, which is yellow in colour). The arms is not violating the rule of tincture, since the dove is not argent (silver) but blazoned as of the colour proper, i.e. it has the colour it would have in nature, in this case white.

The name of the bank in Greek and Turkish languages.

Lower is the island of Cyprus.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. Centered in words.

Revers:

5 Pounds 2001

church and mosque

The сhurch and a Turkish mosque in Peristerona.

Located in the village of Peristerona, on the west bank of the tributary of the Serrahis River, the church in honor of Saints Barnabas and Hilarion is believed to have been built in the IX or X centuries. The five-domed building serves as an outstanding example of Cypriot Byzantine architecture; part of the still-preserved northern wall of the original church is included in the western part of the wall of the existing church. The oldest murals belong to the XV and XVI centuries.

Next to the church is the Turkish mosque Peristerona. They stand side by side, as a symbol of peaceful coexistence between the Greeks and Turkish Cypriots before the Turkish invasion of 1974.

Peristerona (Περιστερώνα) is a large village, about 32 kilometers west of the capital Nicosia, on the foothills of the Troodos Mountain range in the Morphou basin. It is built on the west bank of the river that bears the same name, which is a tributary of the river Serrachis, at an average altitude of 250 meters.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners, also on the left side. Centered in words.

Comments:

The British introduced the pound sterling unit to Cyprus in 1879 at a rate of one to 180 Turkish piastres. It remained equal in value to the pound sterling until 1972 and was initially divided into 20 shillings (σελίνι / σελίνια, şilin). The shilling was divided into 9 piastres (γρόσι / γρόσια, kuruş), thus establishing a nomenclature link to the previous currency. The piastre was itself divided into 40 para (like the kuruş). The para denomination did not appear on any coins or banknotes but was used on postage stamps.

In 1955, Cyprus decimalized with 1000 mils (μιλς, mil) to the pound. Colloquially, the 5 mil coin was known as a "piastre" (not an exact equivalence) and the 50 mil coin as a "shilling" (an exact equivalence). The subdivision was changed to 100 cents (σεντ, sent) to the pound on 3 October 1983. At that time, the smallest coin still in circulation was that of 5 mils. This was renamed as ½ cent, but soon was abolished. Mil-denominated coins are no longer legal tender.