Top
header Notes Collection

1 Dollar 1984, Canada

in Krause book Number: 85
Years of issue: 1984 - 1987
Edition: almost 4 000 000 000
Signatures: Deputy Governor: Mr. J.W. Crow, Governor: Mr. G.K. Bouey
Serie: Scenes of Canada
Specimen of: 03.06.1974
Material: 50% high grade flax, 50% cotton
Size (mm): 152.4 х 69.85
Printer: British American Bank Note Co. Ltd., Montreal

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Dollar 1984

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

1 Dollar 1984

HM The Queen Elizabeth IIThe original photograph, on which the engraving is based, was an official portrait taken around 1962 by Anthony Buckley in Buckingham palace.

The engraving of this portrait, which was used for the Canadian 1- and 2-dollar notes issued in 1973 and for the 20-dollar notes issued in 1969 and 1979, was executed by George Gundersen of the British American Banknote Company.

HM The Queen Elizabeth II.

This portrait depicts Queen Elizabeth in an evening dress, wearing a diamond necklace and diamond earrings.

South African Necklace and Bracelet

The diamond necklace was presented to Elizabeth in April 1947, while she was still a princess, as a gift from the people of South Africa. The necklace was originally constructed with twenty-one large diamonds, connected by links that contained two small brilliant-cut diamonds mounted to either side of a baguette diamond. Shortly after Elizabeth ascended the throne, she had the necklace shortened to fifteen large stones, with the remaining stones being made into a matching bracelet. The necklace worn in this portrait is the shortened version. (From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault)

queen mary cluster earrings

The earrings worn by Queen Elizabeth are Queen Mary’s Cluster Earrings.

These earrings were made for Queen Mary in 1922 of a central large diamond surrounded by two rows of diamonds set in platinum with millegrain edging. According to Hugh Roberts in The Queen's Diamonds, the large diamonds originally set in the center were the Mackinnon diamonds, one of Queen Mary's wedding gifts. Those were later removed for use in Queen Mary's Floret Earrings, and were replaced in the cluster earrings by another two diamonds from her wedding gifts, these from the Bombay Presidency.

The cluster earrings passed to the Queen in 1953, and she's used them for evening and cocktail events ever since. They are a large and impressively sparkling addition to her earring collection. (From Her Majesty's Jewel Vault)

The coat of arms of Canada is on left side.

coat canada

The Arms of Canada, also known as the Royal Coat of Arms of Canada or formally as the Arms of Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada is, since 1921, the official coat of arms of the Canadian monarch and thus also of Canada. It is closely modeled after the royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom with distinctive Canadian elements replacing or added to those derived from the British.

The maple leaves in the shield, blazoned "proper", were originally drawn vert (green) but were redrawn gules (red) in 1957 and a circlet of the Order of Canada was added to the arms for limited use in 1987. The shield design forms the monarch's royal standard and is also found on the Canadian Red Ensign. The Flag of the Governor General of Canada, which formerly used the shield over the Union Flag, now uses the crest of the arms on a blue field.

The heraldic blazon of Canada's coat of arms is:

Tierced in fesse the first and second divisions containing the quarterly coat following, namely, 1st, gules three lions passant guardant in pale Or, 2nd, Or a lion rampant within a double tressure flory-counter-flory gules, 3rd, azure a harp Or stringed argent, 4th, azure, three fleurs-de-lis Or, and the third division argent three maple leaves conjoined on one stem proper. And upon a royal helmet mantled argent doubled gules the crest, that is to say, on a wreath of the colours argent and gules a lion passant guardant Or imperially crowned proper and holding in the dexter paw a maple leaf gules. And for supporters on the dexter a lion rampant Or holding a lance argent, point Or, flying therefrom to the dexter the Union Flag, and on the sinister a unicorn argent armed crined and unguled Or, gorged with a coronet composed of crosses-patée and fleurs-de-lis a chain affixed thereto reflexed of the last, and holding a like lance flying therefrom to the sinister a banner azure charged with three fleurs-de-lis Or; the whole ensigned with the Imperial Crown proper and below the shield upon a wreath composed of roses, thistles, shamrocks and lillies a scroll azure inscribed with the motto A mari usque ad mare.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. Centered in numeral and in words.

Revers:

1 Dollar 1984

Missinaibi Missinaibi

These two little tugboats would probably have passed into oblivion and been sent to the scrapyard like so many others, had it not become the illustration on the back of the Canadian one-dollar bill. In 1963, celebrated Ottawa photographer Malak (Malak Karsh, younger brother of Yousuf) took a picture of the Ancaster and the Missinaibi in their natural element: navigating the log-filled Ottawa River against the background of the Parliament Buildings. A log boom had broken upstream and the two tugs were cleaning up the spill. This photograph was to play a major role in deciding the tugboat's fate when the government decided to change the design of Canadian paper currency in a move to tighten security and prevent counterfeiting. The new notes included security innovations such as multicolor printing, along with familiar design elements from the previous bills to facilitate public recognition.

It was thus decided to use panoramas once again of representative regions of the country, based on photographs from various sources, to create a single landscape. Each scene had to be suitable for engraving and major print-runs. Modifications were thus made to the original photographs, and none of the illustrations which appeared on our paper currency was an exact replica of the original photo.

Malak's photo shows a man with a pike on the stern of the Missinaibi. No man is visible on the dollar bill -- a creative liberty taken by designers in their adaptation of the original shots. The engraving on the back of the one-dollar bill featuring the Missinaibi is the work of Gordon Yorke of the British American Bank Note Company. The overall design of the one-dollar bill is the result of the joint efforts of the Bank of Canada, the Canadian Bank Note Company, British American Bank Note, and Thomas De La Rue and Co. Ltd.

Missinaibi Missinaibi Missinaibi

Technical info about tug Missinaibi:

"Missinaibi [C. 190439] registered at Owen Sound; built at Owen Sound in 1952 by Russel Brothers. 38'3 x 11'5 x 4'; 14 g.t., 330 hp. Owned by Pineland Timber Co. Ltd., Sudbury, Ontario.

Canadian List of Shipping 1970: Steel tug Missinaibi [C.190439] registered at Owen Sound. Built at Owen Sound in 1952. 38'; 14 g.t."

Missinaibi Missinaibi Missinaibi

In a 1989 article in Le Droit, one of the last tow-pilots of the Missinaibi, Aldoma Legault, who died in 1994, recounted taking the ship's helm in 1969 and 1971 for the photo shoots. No pilot is visible on the dollar bill, however - a creative liberty taken by designers in their adaptation of the original shots. n.b. - Mister Legault was remembering falsely. The original Malak photo was taken in 1963, was not posed, and shows no pilot on the Missinaibi, only a man with a pole on the afterdeck.

Ancaster Ancaster Ancaster

Technical info about tug Ancaster:

"Canadian List of Shipping 1956: Ancaster [C.193615] registered at Ottawa; built at Owen Sound in 1951. Hull 900. 24’ 8 x 7’ 5 x 2’ 9; 4 g.t.; 3 n.t.; 20 hp. Owned by E. B. Eddy Co., Hull, Québec. Transport Canada List 2002: Built by Russel-Hipwell Engine Co., 1951. Owned by The Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum, Owen Sound, Ontario. Transport Canada List 2002: Built by Russel-Hipwell Engine Co., Owen Sound, Ont. Owned by The Owen Sound Marine & Rail Museum, Owen Sound, Ontario. GAO Notes: Steel diesel workboat/warping tug Ancaster [C.193615] 25’; 4 gross tons. Built by Russel Bros. Now a museum piece at Owen Sound."

Ancaster Ancaster HM The Queen Elizabeth II (www.russelbrothers.ca)

Parliament Hill from river Ottawa

The Ottawa River (Rivière des Outaouais), (Algonquin, Kitchissippi), is a river in the Canadian provinces of Ontario and Quebec. For most of its length, it now defines the border between these two provinces. As it does to this day, the river played a vital role in life of the Algonquin people, who lived throughout its watershed at contact. The river is called Kichisìpi, meaning "Great River" in Anicinàbemowin, the Algonquin language. The Algonquin define themselves in terms of their position on the river, referring to themselves as the Omàmiwinini, "down-river people". Although a majority of the Algonquin First Nation lives in Quebec, the entire Ottawa Valley is Algonquin traditional territory. Present settlement is a result of adaptations made as a result of settler pressures.

Parliament Hill (Colline du Parlement), colloquially known as The Hill, is an area of Crown land on the southern banks of the Ottawa River in downtown Ottawa, Ontario. Its Gothic revival suite of buildings serves as the home of the Parliament of Canada and contains a number of architectural elements of national symbolic importance. Parliament Hill attracts approximately 3 million visitors each year.

Originally the site of a military base in the XVIII and early XIX centuries, development of the area into a governmental precinct began in 1859, after Queen Victoria chose Bytown as the capital of the Province of Canada. Following a number of extensions to the parliament and departmental buildings and a fire in 1916 that destroyed the Center Block, Parliament Hill took on its present form with the completion of the Peace Tower in 1927.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. In top left and lower right corners in words.

Comments:

Often dubbed the “multicolored series” these bank notes were released beginning in 1969 in response to growing concerns about counterfeiting.

The main characteristic of the design was the use of multicolored tints beneath the dominant color. Known as “rainbow printing” this process subtly merged two or more colors into each other. The color technique was designed to thwart counterfeiters.

First issued at 03.06.1974.

engraver

Engraver: C. Gordon Yorke.