header Notes Collection
Top

1 Dollar 1967, Canada

in Krause book Number: 84
Years of issue: 03.01.1967
Edition: 12 000 000
Signatures: Deputy Governor: Mr. J.R. Beattie, Governor: Mr. L. Rasminsky
Serie: 1954 Issue
Specimen of: 03.01.1967
Material: 50% high grade flax, 50% cotton
Size (mm): 152.4 х 69.85
Printer: British American Bank Note Co. Ltd., Montreal

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Dollar 1967

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

1 Dollar 1967

Queen

HM The Queen Elizabeth II.

This portrait of Queen Elizabeth is based on a photograph by Canadian photographer Yousuf Karsh. The photograph was one of many taken during a photographic session in 1951 in Clarence House, a year before Queen Elizabeth's accession to the throne.

It was made for Princess Elizabeth's Tour of Canada and the United States.

Many of the portraits from the photographic session show The Queen wearing a tiara, but the particular photograph chosen by the Bank of Canada for its 1954 issue is one without the tiara.

The tiara was removed to distinguish the portrait from another, based on the same photo, which had recently been featured on a Canadian stamp.

Princess Elizabeth is wearing a Norman Hartnell gown. The necklace worn by The Queen in this portrait, of diamond flowers and leaves, was a wedding present from Nizam of Hyderabad and Berar and Queen Mary's Floret Earrings.

The image on the banknotes, which is based on Karsh's photograph, was engraved by George Gundersen of the British American Bank Note Company. This portrait is famous for its two varieties.

1)The first variety of this engraving incorporates a 'devil's head' in The Queen's hair.

2)The second variety of the engraving is modified to remove the offending pattern in Her Majesty's hair.

coat canada

The Canadian coat of arms is on background.

The Arms of Canada, also known as the Royal Coat of Arms of Canada or formally as the Arms of Her Majesty The Queen in Right of Canada is, since 1921, the official coat of arms of the Canadian monarch and thus also of Canada. It is closely modeled after the royal coat of arms of the United Kingdom with distinctive Canadian elements replacing or added to those derived from the British.

The maple leaves in the shield, blazoned "proper", were originally drawn vert (green) but were redrawn gules (red) in 1957 and a circlet of the Order of Canada was added to the arms for limited use in 1987. The shield design forms the monarch's royal standard and is also found on the Canadian Red Ensign. The Flag of the Governor General of Canada, which formerly used the shield over the Union Flag, now uses the crest of the arms on a blue field.

Inscriptions "Centennial of Canadian Confederation" written on 2 languages: top - in English, at the bottom - in French.

The emblem of the green triangles (left) is green monochrome adaptation of stylized maple leaf.

Denominations in numerals are centered and in top corners. In words in lower corners and centered (also on the right and left sides).

Revers:

1 Dollar 1967

Parliament Parliament

On banknote is Central block of Parliament with Victoria Tower, destroyed after fire on 3 February 1916.

The vignette of Center Block was engraved by Gordon Yorke, who worked at "British American Bank Note Company" ("BABN"). The vignette was remodelled from an original engraving of the vignette produced in 1872 by "BABN" for the face of the "Dominion of Canada" $100 note.

The banknotes 100 Dollars 1872 Dominion of Canada are very rare today, and, of course, very expensive.

The Parliament of Canada on Parliament Hill in Ottawa.

Parliament Hill (Colline du Parlement), colloquially known as The Hill, is an area of Crown land on the southern banks of the Ottawa River in downtown Ottawa, Ontario. Its Gothic revival suite of buildings serves as the home of the Parliament of Canada and contains a number of architectural elements of national symbolic importance. Parliament Hill attracts approximately 3 million visitors each year.

Originally the site of a military base in the XVIII and early XIX centuries, development of the area into a governmental precinct began in 1859, after Queen Victoria chose Bytown as the capital of the Province of Canada. Following a number of extensions to the parliament and departmental buildings and a fire in 1916 that destroyed the Center Block, Parliament Hill took on its present form with the completion of the Peace Tower in 1927.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. In words on the right and left sides.

Comments:

Commemorative banknote to anniversary - day of the Canadian Confederation, July 1, 1967.

Thanks a lot for the help with an engraving on the reverse to Mr. Timothy Wakhanu Khaemba from the Ottawa Public Library.