header Notes Collection
Top

20 Schilling 1986, Austria

in Krause book Number: 148
Years of issue: 01.10.1986 (1988)
Edition: --
Signatures: Generalrat: Dr. Kaditz, Präsident: Dr. Stefan Koren, Generaldirektor: Dr. Heinz Kienzl
Serie: 1983 - 1988 Issue
Specimen of: 01.10.1986
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 123 х 65
Printer: Oesterreichische Banknoten und Sicherheitsdruck, Wien

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 Schilling 1986

Description

Watermark:

watermarkFederal coat of arms and parallel vertical lines.

Avers:

20 Schilling 1986

Moritz Michael DaffingerThe engraving based on self portrait of Moritz Michael Daffinger. The date of portrait is unknown.

Moritz Michael Daffinger (January 25, 1790 - August 21, 1849) was an Austrian miniature painter and sculptor. His father was Johann Daffinger.

He was a pupil of Heinrich Friedrich Füger. His specialty was painting on china. Since 1809 he worked only on portraits and specialized in painting on ivory.

Lower left of the portrait are the artist's palette and brush. Ornament is an interlacing of stylized flowers and leaves.

Top left is the coat of arms.

coat

The current coat of arms of Austria, albeit without the broken chains, has been in use by the Republic of Austria since 1919. Between 1934 and the German annexation in 1938 Austria used a different coat of arms, which consisted of a double-headed eagle. The establishment of the Second Republic in 1945 saw the return of the original (First Republic) arms, with broken chains added to symbolise Austria's liberation.

The blazon of the Federal Arms of the Republic of Austria reads:

Gules a fess Argent, escutcheon on the breast of an eagle displayed Sable, langued Gules, beaked Or, crowned with a mural crown of three visible merlons Or, armed Or, dexter talon holding sickle, sinister talon holding hammer, both talons shackled with chain broken Argent.

The symbols and emblems used in the Austrian arms are as follows:

The Eagle: Austria's sovereignty (introduced 1919)

The escutcheon Emblem of Austria (late Middle Ages, reintroduced 1915)

The mural crown: The middle class (introduced 1919)

The sickle: Agriculture (introduced 1919)

The Hammer: Industry (introduced 1919)

The broken chains: Liberation from National Socialist dictatorship (added 1945).

Denominations in numerals are in three corners. In words top, centered.

Revers:

20 Schilling 1986

Albertina AlbertinaOn banknote is Albertina, as it looks like before II World War (without ramp above).

The Albertina is a museum in the Innere Stadt (First District) of Vienna, Austria. It houses one of the largest and most important print rooms in the world with approximately 65,000 drawings and approximately 1 million old master prints, as well as more modern graphic works, photographs and architectural drawings. Apart from the graphics collection the museum has recently acquired on permanent loan two significant collections of Impressionist and early XX art, some of which will be on permanent display. There are many paintings of Moritz Michael Daffinger.

After 1918 the collection was handed over to the Republic of Austria as the legal successor to aristocratic property. At that time, the valuable copper engraving collection of the Imperial Court Library was combined with the Albertina collection. The Graphic Arts Collection has been closed since 1994 due to restoration work on the building. Exhibitions are therefore held in the nearby "Akademiehof".

Albertina AlbertinaOn the terrace of the equestrian statue of Archduke Albrecht von Teschen. But it is not well-known owner of the collection, and its namesake - the last commander of the Habsburg dynasty.

Equestrian monument of Archduke Albrecht (who won the battle of Custoza in 1866) - the work of Kaspar von Zumbusch (1899). Author of the composition pedestal - Karl König. On an oval pedestal of granite inscription: "From the grateful memories of the victory brought the commanders and military leaders, who had been like a father to us."

The name "Albertina" comes from the name of the founder - Archduke Albrecht, Duke of Teschen.

The basis of the graphic collection of the Duke Albrecht laid in the 70s of the XVIII century, in the royal castle of Bratislava, the residence served him as governor of the Hungarian kingdom in 1765-1781 years (accessible to the public in 1822).

Archduke Albrecht won the battle of Custoza June 24, 1866, when the Austrian army under the command of his superior forces defeated the Italian army. It was perhaps the only victory of the Habsburgs in catastrophic Austro-Prussian War.

In the Austrian Empire often erected monuments to winners of individual battles, regardless of the outcome of the war, and the generals, the loser of the battle, the Emperor Franz Joseph forbidden to write his memoirs. The palace of the Archduke Albrecht until the end of the First World War he served in chief housing the Austro-Hungarian army.

Denominations in numerals are in three corners. In words lower, centered.

Comments:

Issued at October 1, 1986.

Put into circulation on October 19, 1988.

Austria - one of the first states to use in their own monetary system hologram as a means of protection.

Designer: Robert Kalina.

Robert Kalina (born 29 June 1955) is an Austrian designer. For the National Bank of Austria he created the T 382 design, which was the winning design of the 1996 competition for the art shown on the euro banknotes. Kalina's design was chosen by the EMI Council (European Monetary Institute) on 3 December 1996. Kalina also designed the banknotes for the Azerbaijani manat, the 2010 series of the Syrian Pound and the Bosnia and Herzegovina convertible mark.