header Notes Collection

1000 Pesos Oro 2017, Dominican Republic

Hans-Ludwig Grabowski Katalog. Band 10. Number: 193d
Years of issue: 2017
Signatures: Gobernador del Banco Central: Héctor Manuel Valdez Albizu, Ministro de Hacienda: Donald Guerrero Ortíz (in office August 16, 2016 - August 16, 2020)
Serie: 2014 - 2021 Modified Design Issue
Specimen of: 2014
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 156 x 67
Printer: De la Rue currency,Gateshead

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1000 Pesos Oro 2017




Juan Pablo Duarte. Denomination 1000.


1000 Pesos Oro 2017

Palacio Nacional

The National Palace (Spanish: Palacio Nacional) is a building in Santo Domingo, that houses the offices of the Executive Branch (Presidency and Vice Presidency) of the Dominican Republic.

Designed in a restrained neoclassical style by Italian architect Guido D'Alessandro at the behest of Rafael Trujillo, construction started on February 27, 1944 - The centenary of Dominican independence - and was inaugurated on August 16, 1947. Occupying an area of 18,000 square meters and luxuriously appointed throughout, the National Palace is considered one of the most beautiful buildings built in the Dominican Republic.

The building stands on the grounds of the former Presidential Mansion (Mansión Presidencial), built during the United States occupation of the Dominican Republic (1916-1924).

While the president's office is located within the palace, the Palacio Nacional is not an executive residence as the president does not live there; there is no designated Executive Residence in Santo Domingo. The building comprises three stories. Building services are located at ground level.

The main floor includes the ceremonial vestibule, the Presidential and Vice-presidential offices, and the Cabinet meeting room. The third storey houses the main reception rooms: the Hall of the Ambassadors, the Hall of the Caryatids, the Green Room, the Mahogany room, and the president's private quarters.

The dome, which rests on a windowed drum, is 34 meters high and has a diameter of 18 meters inside, 18 columns sustain the dome. Most of the marble used throughout the building is Dominican, and was extracted from quarries in Samaná and Caballero. The Palacio Nacional complex also includes the "presidential" Chapel of San Rafael Arcángel, carried out in the same architectural style as the palace.

Flowers of mahogany wood

Centered are the flowers of a national symbol (from 1957 till 2011) of Dominican Republic, mahogany wood (La Caoba, Swietenia mahagoni). It grows throughout most of Latin America, up to 35-50 meters in height and 1.8 m in diameter. Dense wood with a reddish tinge gave another name - red wood. Resistant to environmental influences, mahogany was the basic material for the manufacture of furniture in the Spanish colonies, which led to the brink of its extinction.

The seal of Dominican Bank is on left side.


1000 Pesos Oro 2017

Alcázar de Colón

The Alcázar de Colón, or Columbus Alcazar is the first fortified European palace built in the Americas. It is located in the Dominican Republic's colonial area of Santo Domingo city, and forms part of the Ciudad Colonial UNESCO's World Heritage Site. It was built between 1510 and 1514 mostly in a Gothic and Renaissance style.

It is the only known residence of a member of the Christopher Columbus family in the New World, his first-born son Diego Columbus, whose children Juana, Isabel, Luis and Christopher were born in the palace. Diego Columbus died in Spain in 1526 but María Álvarez de Toledo, his widow, remained there until her death in 1549. Three generations of the Columbus family inhabited the residence, possibly until the late XVI century.

The Tapestry collection (spanning from the XV to XVII centuries) is particularly important and unique in the Caribbean, and includes pieces produced by the Flemish Van Den Hecke family from cartouches created by Charles Le Brun. The Alcázar is the most visited museum in Santo Domingo.

The Alcázar de Colón was built between 1510 and 1514, in year 1509 Columbus himself bacame governor and viceroy of the colony, it was built following the influences of the existing one in Mancera de Abajo, in Salamanca (Spain), of which ruins are still preserved. The name of the architect who carried out the construction of this fortified palace is unknown. Mainly Gothic in style, it also has some Renaissance characteristics, notable in its arcades.

Some of the most famous Spanish conquistadors such as Hernán Cortés and Pedro de Alvarado visited the residence. During the early Spanish colonial period, the mansion occupied a very important place in history. It was from here that many expeditions of conquest and exploration were planned. In 1586, the palace was captured and looted by the British pirate Sir Francis Drake and his forces who took many valuables with them. The ownership of the palace was the subject of litigation for nearly two centuries from that year.

It is the only known residence of a member of the Columbus family, apart from Christopher's birthplace, which is still in Genoa. Juana, Isabel, Luis and Cristóbal Columbus de Toledo, children of Don Diego Columbus and his wife Doña María Álvarez de Toledo, were born in the palace. Diego Columbus died in Spain in 1526 but María Álvarez de Toledo, his widow, remained there until her death in 1549. Three generations of the Columbus de Toledo family inhabited it, possibly until 1577.

As the influence of Santo Domingo declined, the house fell into deterioration, and by the mid-XVIII century was abandoned and in danger of rotting away. Originally the residence had 55 rooms, of which only 22 remain. Eventually it was abandoned and the passage of time began to wreak havoc on the structure of the palace. By 1776 the building start to fell into a bad condition and was nearly turned it into a prison, a project that was not carried out.

Almost a century later in 1870 it was declared a National Monument and the Dominican government eventually restored the palace. It was restored between 1955 and 1957, being transformed into a 22 rooms museum filled with period furniture, artwork, and other accessories. A self-guided tour using a portable audio speaker that discusses each room's function is available in various languages.

The building was constructed using masonry made of coral rocks. It was built on a plot close to the rock islet that look towards the Ozama River, granted to Diego Columbus, firstborn son of the discoverer of the Americas, Christopher Columbus, by King Ferdinand II of Aragon, to build a dwelling for him and his descendants on the island Hispaniola, to which he arrived in 1509 as governor. The building houses the Museo Alcázar de Diego Colón, whose collection exhibits the Caribbean's most important ensemble of European late medieval and Renaissance works of art, which were acquired in the 1950s.

The palace is an impressive construction of coralline blocks that once housed some fifty rooms and a number of gardens and courtyards, although what remains today is about half the size it once was. It was built under Diego Colón, the son of Christopher Columbus; when he became the 4th Governor of the Indies in 1509, he ordered the construction of a family home and governor’s mansion between 1510 and 1512. The architectural style is gothic typical of the early XVI century.


All banknotes carry the phrase "Este billete tiene fuerza libertoria para el pago de todas las obligaciónes públicas o privadas". Literally translated as "This bill has the liberatory strength to be used as payment for all public or private obligations".