header Notes Collection

50 Baht 2020, Thailand

in Krause book Number: 136
Years of issue: 2020
Signatures: Finance Minister of Thailand: Mr. Arkhom Termpittayapaisith, Governor of the Bank of Thailand: Dr. Sethaput Suthiwartnarueput
Serie: 2018 King Maha Vajiralongkorn Issue
Specimen of: 28.07.2018
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 144 х 72
Printer: Note printing Works, Banknote management group, Bank of Thailand

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 Baht 2020




HM The King Rama X. Denomination. Horizontal dark lines.


50 Baht 2020


H.M. King Vajiralongkorn, Rama X, in the uniform of the commander of the Royal Thai Air Force.

Vajiralongkorn (Thai: วชิราลงกรณ; RTGS: Wachiralongkon; born 28 July 1952) is King of Thailand. He is the only son of King Bhumibol Adulyadej and Queen Sirikit. In 1972, at the age of 20, he was made crown prince by his father. After his father's death on 13 October 2016, he was expected to ascend to the throne of Thailand but asked for time to mourn before taking the throne. He accepted the throne on the night of 1 December 2016. His coronation took place from 4-6 May 2019. The Thai government retroactively declared his reign to have begun on 13 October 2016, upon his father's death.[6] As the tenth monarch of the Chakri dynasty, he is also styled as Rama X. Aged 64 at that time, Vajiralongkorn became the oldest Thai monarch to ascend to the throne.

He is the wealthiest monarch in the world, with a net worth estimated to be between US$30 billion and US$70 billion.


On top is a Monogram of HM The King Maha Vajiralongkorn.

Each of the members of royal family has its own symbolic color and monogram. Thus, even just seeing the monogram it is possible to determine, without any photos, who personally present at the event.

As a part of monogram of King is the Great Crown of Victory, the most important royal regalia and a symbol of royal power. The royal crown is of a traditional Siamese conical shape. Its top symbolizes the authority of the king in heaven and its base his caring for his people on earth. The crown is 66 cm. high.

In the top right corner is the national emblem of Thailand - Garuda.


50 Baht 2020


Left - Crop of portrait of King Nangklao (Rama III), which is displayed in the Chakri Mahaprasad Hall at the Grand Palace, Bangkok. Portrait created during the reign of King Chulalongkorn, meaning it was created no later than 1910.

Nangklao (Thai: พระบาทสมเด็จพระนั่งเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว, RTGS: Phra Bat Somdet Phra Nangklao Chao Yu Hua; 31 March 1788 - 2 April 1851), birth name Thap (Thai: ทับ), also styled Rama III, was the third king of Siam under the House of Chakri, ruling from 21 July 1824 to 2 April 1851.

Nangklao was the eldest surviving son of his predecessor, king Rama II. His mother Sri Sulalai was one of the king's secondary wives. Nangklao was likely designated as heir by his father, his accession was uncontested and smoothly confirmed by the grand council. Foreign observers, however, falsely perceived him as having usurped the prior claim of his half-brother Prince Mongkut, who was younger, but born to queen Sri Suriyendra and thus "legitimate" according to Western customs. Under the old concept of Thai monarchy, however, a proper king must emulate Maha Sammata in that he must be "elected by the people." Ironically, Prince Mongkut may have later contributed to this misconception, when he feared that his own accession might be perceived by foreign observers as a usurpation.

During Nangklao's reign, the military hegemony of Siam was established by putting down the Laotian Rebellion (1826-1828, in what would come to be called Isan), the Siamese–Vietnamese War (1831-34), and the Siamese-Vietnamese War fought in Cambodia (1841-45).


In lower left corner is The Chinese Junk.

The Chinese Junk Temple.

On the banks of the Chao Phraya river in Bangkok, just south of the Saphan Taksin BTS station, lies a peculiar temple dominated by a large concrete replica of a Chinese junk. This is Wat Yannawa and the large concrete junk dates back over 170 years to the time of King Phra Nangklao (Rama III).

A temple has been on this site since the days of the kings of Ayutthaya, originally known as Wat Kok Kwai (Buffalo Temple) because this area was used at that time for trading of buffaloes. After the fall of Ayutthaya King Taksin established his new capital across the river at Thon Buri and raised the status of Wat Kok Kwai to a Royal Temple. But real changes only came after the crowning of King Phra Phutthayotfa (Rama I) in 1782 who whilst establishing his capital in Bangkok also sponsored the building of a new “ubosot” or ordination hall for the temple, now to be known as Wat Krabeua (A more formal version of Buffalo Temple).

This ubosot still stands by the river, these days protected from the elements by a large steel roof erected over the top of the ageing temple. Between 1787 and 1810 this temple was visited each year by King Phra Phutthayotfa and later by his son King Phra Phutthaloetla (Rama II) for the annual Katin ceremony to present robes to the monks.

In 1844 King Phra Nangklao (Rama III) initiated improvements to the Wat Krabeua ubosot, building residences for the monks and having gold inlaid artwork applied to the doors, shutters and gables.

It was after this work was completed that King Phra Nangklao ordered the building of a chedi in the shape of a Chinese sailing junk. It would appear that the main reason for this unusual junk shaped chedi was as a tribute to these remarkable ships from China. Trade with China had been of vital importance to rebuilding the wealth and status of Siam after the disastrous collapse of Ayutthaya. Most of this trade was conducted under the guise of “tribute missions” between the Chinese Emperor and the Siamese King.

By the early nineteenth century the fleet exchanging goods annually with China consisted of well over one hundred ships. In 1836 an American envoy to Bangkok reported seeing a line of Chinese junks stretching over three kilometres along the river, with ships as large as 600 tons. The trade was controlled by the Royal Trading Monopoly and bought the Chakri kings of Bangkok and their near associates enormous wealth.

Immigrant Chinese shipwrights built vessels in Siam for the Royal Fleet, initially in Chantaburi, a Teochew-Chinese centre, but by the 1820’s up to ten large vessels per year were being built in Bangkok itself.

However, change was blowing in the wind from the West. Siam had assisted the British in the First Anglo-Burmese War (1824 – 26) and had been alarmed at how easily Siam’s traditional enemy had been defeated. In 1825, one year into his reign, King Phra Nangklao signed the Burney Treaty which was intended to establish free trade with the British. The Siamese could see that Western technology made the British invincible both in war and in trade. In 1835 one of King Phra Nangklao’s chief ministers, the Phrakhlang, ordered on his own account two Western style square rigged ships to be built. He presented them to the king and after trials had demonstrated their superiority to the Chinese style junks more were ordered for the Royal Trading Fleet. By 1847 the king’s fleet included up to thirteen Western style ships, some up to 1000 tons in capacity. These ships were not only large trading vessels but could also be heavily armed.

King Phra Nangklao and his court could readily see the world changing rapidly around them. In 1842 the Siamese were astonished by China’s defeat at the hands of the British in the First Opium War. The traditional tribute trade with China was soon to be displaced by trade with Europe. In fact after King Mongkut (Rama IV) took to the throne in 1851 only two more tribute missions to China were dispatched and in 1855 the Bowring Treaty with Britain established a modern trading framework with the West.

And so in 1844 when King Phra Nangklao was sponsoring the expansion of Wat Krabeua, he knew that the Chinese junk that had bought him great wealth, was soon to disappear from the rivers and seas of Siam. The junk shaped chedi was a tribute to the junks that had bought so much wealth to Siam and a reminder to future generations of what these ships looked like . To emphasise this King Phra Nangklao bestowed a new name upon the temple, which now became Wat Yannawa or “Naval Vessel Temple”. (


Right - Crop of portrait of King Mongkut which is displayed in the Chakri Mahaprasad Hall at the Grand Palace, Bangkok.

Mongkut (Thai: พระบาทสมเด็จพระปรเมนทรมหามงกุฎ พระจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว, 18 October 1804 – 1 October 1868) was the fourth monarch of Siam (Thailand) under the House of Chakri, titled Rama IV. He ruled from 1851 to 1868. His full title in Thai was Phra Bat Somdet Phra Menthora Ramathibodi Sri Sinthara Mahamakut Phra Mongkut Phra Siam Deva Mahamakut Wittaya Maharaj (พระบาทสมเด็จพระปรเมนทรรามาธิบดีศรีสินทรมหามงกุฎ พระจอมเกล้าเจ้าอยู่หัว พระสยามเทวมหามกุฏวิทยมหาราช).

Outside Thailand, Mongkut is best known as the king in the 1951 musical and 1956 film The King and I, based on the 1946 film Anna and the King of Siam - in turn based on a 1944 novel by an American author about Anna Leonowens' years at his court, from 1862 to 1867, drawn from Leonowens’ memoir.

Siam first felt the pressure of Western expansionism during Mongkut's reign. Mongkut embraced Western innovations and initiated the modernization of his country, both in technology and culture, earning him the nickname "The Father of Science and Technology" in Siam.

Mongkut was also known for appointing his younger brother, Prince Chutamani, as Second King, crowned in 1851 as King Pinklao. Mongkut told the country that Pinklao should be respected with equal honor to himself (as King Naresuan had done with his brother Ekathotsarot in 1583). During Mongkut's reign, the power of the House of Bunnag reached its zenith: It became the most powerful noble family of Siam.


In lower right corner is Khao Wang, exactly - Chatchawan Wiang Chai Tower (an observatory to study the stars).

Khao Wang or Phra Nakhon Khiri Historical Park is a notable tourist site in Petchaburi Province; it is the symbol of the province. Khao Wang is very outstanding and obviously be seen from far distance, including the white chedi and buildings. Khao Wang is the ancient remains of petchaburi Province which is located on the 92-meters high mountain. Its former name was Khao Samon or Khao Khiri. King Rama IV was delighted to construct the palace on this mountain. At Kaho Wang, there are the palace, temple, and buildings which are constructed in neo classic and Chinese architecture. It is located on the three mountain tops. The eastern peak is the location of Wat Maha Samanaram, which is at the bottom of Khao Wang. Its former name was Wat Samana or Wat Maha Samon, where King Rama IV stayed here when he was a priest. The eastern peak is the location of Wat Phra Kaew or Wat Phra Kaew Noi, the red chedi and the pagoda, the beautiful chapel which the pediment is the stucco of Great Crown of Victory, the Royal Emblem of King Rama IV. Phra Suttha Salae chedi is a greenish-gray marble chedi which the construction is very fascinating; the pieces of marble were engraved and assembled at Kho Si Chang, and was disassembled to re-assemble again at this mountain. The western peak is the location of Phra Nakhon Khiri Palace, which consists of Santhahan Sathan Throne Hall which is used to welcome the visitors. The living room is in the center while the two sides are the bedrooms with the balcony, Phra Nakhon Khiri Natioanal Museum which presently the Petch Phum Pai Roj Throne Hall and Pramot Mahai Sawan Throne Hall. Petch Phum Pai Roj Throne Hall is the largest throne hall which exhibits the royal articles of use such as the bed, mirror, crockery, and metal doll made by European artisan. Pramot Mahai Sawan Throne Hall locates the bed of King Ram IV and King Rama V. Wetchayan Wichian Prasat Throne Hall is the medium-size throne hall that was constructed based on the traditional belief; the large palace must have the Prasat inside. The statue of King Rama IV in the full costume when he welcomed the ambassadors is located inside. Ratchatham Sapha Throne Hall was constructed in Thai-Chinese-western architecture. It shape is similar to the Chinese pavilion decorating in Thai and western style. Chatchawan Wiang Chai Tower is the two-story rounded tower with the glass curve roof constructed for astronomy purpose. This is the viewpoint of city view. In the past, the lamps were lit and hanging in the glass dome. It could be seen from the far sight so it was the destination of the fisherman to sail to Bann Laem Bay. The middle peak is Phra That Chom Petch which is the very obvious white chedi. King Rama IV advised to reconstruct the chedi and invited the Buddha’s relics to keep here and named it Phra That Chom Petch. (


Top, right is The Emblem of the Royal House of Chakri.

Emblem of the Royal House of Chakri, the ruling Dynasty of Thailand (formerly Siam), founded in 1782. The Emblem depicts a 'Chakra' (disc) and a 'Trisula' (trident) intertwined. Both of these objects are weapons of Vishnu (of which the Kings of Siam believe themselves to be 'Avatars'). The symbols also directly relate to King Rama I's pre-coronation title of "Chao Phraya Chakri", which in itself is a combination of the word 'Chak' and 'Tri', thus denoting the two weapons.

In the top right corner is Garuda - national emblem of Thailand.