Top
header Notes Collection

10 Reichsmark 1929, Germany

in Krause book Number: 180a
Years of issue: 1929
Edition:
Signatures: Unknown signature
Serie: 1929 Issue
Specimen of: 22.01.1929
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 x 75
Printer: Giesecke und Devrient GmbH, Leipzig

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Reichsmark 1929

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Albrecht Thaer.

Avers:

10 Reichsmark 1929

On the ornamented rectangle, on the banknote field - face value in words: "ZEHN REICHSMARK".

Under the nominal, the inscription: "Ausgegeben auf Grund des Bankgesetzes vom 30 August 1924. Berlin, dem 22 Januar 1929".

In English: "Issued on the basis of banking law of August 30, 1924. Berlin, January 22, 1929".

Below are the signatures of the chairmen of the board of directors of the Imperial Bank (Reichsbankdirektorium), against the background of the designation of the release series - G.

In the lower left corner there is a face value of the number “10”; next to it is a relief hot stamp — a seal of the control stamp. On the right, in an ornamented vignette, a portrait of Werner von Siemens (1752-1828).

Below the portrait is the image of the issuer's round brown seal: the inscription REICHSBANKDIREKTORIUM, around the eagle with outstretched wings; under the tail of an eagle is a small image of a five-pointed star. In the upper left and lower right corners - the serial number, the color is red, the series is designated by the letter.

Albrecht Thaer

Albrecht Daniel Thaer (German pronunciation: [tɛːɐ̯]; 14 May 1752 – 26 October 1828) was a German agronomist and a supporter of the humus theory for plant nutrition.

Albrecht Daniel Thaer was born in Celle, a neat little town in Hanover, on 14 May 1752. His father, Johann Friedrich Thaer, was physician to the Court, and born in Liebenwerda, in Saxony; his mother, Sophie Elisabeth, was the daughter of J. Saffe, receiver of rents and taxes of the district of Celle. Albert was the first born, and had three sisters, Christine, Albertine, and Wilhelmine, of which the first died in infancy, the second was married to Captain Schweppe, and the youngest to the well-known privy councillor, Doctor Jacobi.

At the University of Göttingen he finished his medical studies, and afterwards practised medicine in his native place. In 1786, he married the daughter of a nobleman, one Miss Von Wellich.

The garden attached to his house, where he amused himself with cultivating flowers, gave rise to his agricultural celebrity; the taste for the culture of flowers led him gradually to that of agriculture; he bought a larger lot of sixteen acres, and executed on it his plans. It was soon the attraction of everybody, for the collection of rare plants and beautiful walks, fine orchards, and the different kinds of clover and grass. His success in the culture of various plants, stimulated him to buy a more extensive tract of land.

About that time, just when he was at the point of giving up his profession and devoting his time to agriculture alone, he received from London his patent, as physician to his majesty George the Third. This honor came unexpectedly, and he could not withdraw himself at once from his profession, but began by degrees to resign his practice, and continued his favorite occupation, the improvement of agriculture, with the view of establishing an experimental farm. He paid great attention to the culture of herbage fodder, root crops, and especially potatoes; which latter root he most vehemently defended against its numerous adversaries and assailants.

His work on English husbandry appeared soon after, and was well received in Germany and in England. His fame as an agriculturist who applied science to practice, spread over all Europe. His plan of establishing a school was at last executed, and attracted many visitors of distinction. The king of Prussia Frederick William III was exceedingly anxious to have Thaer's services, invited him to reside within his kingdom, and granted him the following advantages:

Nomination as a member of the Academy of Sciences;

A grant of four hundred acres of land;

The privilege of selling the land, and all the privileges attached to a landed estate belonging to a nobleman, in case he should buy another estate;

Protection to his academy;

Entire liberty of the press in regard to his Agricultural Journal;

Permission to practice his profession as a physician;

His nomination, as privy counsellor.

These privileges and honors were too tempting. He accepted the king's offer, and left Celle for Berlin; took possession of the 400 acres; sold it immediately, and bought the present landed estates Moegelin, and obtained all the privileges of a nobleman.

It was in June, 1804, that he took possession of Moegelin. The loss of his flocks by rot and the French wars, were great calamities, especially in the commencement of his operations; but he conquered all difficulties by perseverance; and in 1806 the academy was opened. Twenty pupils inscribed their names immediately; the number increased with every year. He distinguished himself in the improvement of wool; his flocks were superior to any in Prussia. His written works increased his fame, and the sovereigns of Russia, Prussia and many others sent him their orders of knighthood. He. purchased additional property for his younger son Albrecht Philipp Thaer, the later proprietor of Moegelin, who was entirely devoted to agricultural pursuits.

In the year 1828, he had a severe attack of rheumatism, and his health began to decline; in 1827, his eyesight failed entirely. His sufferings were great, but he bore them with fortitude and resignation, and at last, on 28 October 1828 in Wriezen, death put an end to his pains.

Thaer is buried in his garden, opposite the family dwelling, on the shore of a small clear pond, among the trees which he planted himself, "his children," as he called them. His tomb is under the eves of a chapel. No cold, huge block of marble tells you that here lies father Thaer; but above his grave rises a pyramid of flowers which with their fragrance arrest the attention of visitors, and point with their rich colored petals to the grave, where the man lies who loved them, and who spent his life among them, watching their mysterious habits, to catch a glimpse of the Great Mother's secret operations. Over his grave the ornaments of nature's rich temple mourn for their departed friend. His consort lies by his side surrounded by shrubs and trees.

Revers:

10 Reichsmark 1929

In the center of the ornamented rectangle is a picture of a female peasant with with a hammer and sickle, in a round vignette, the inscriptions: REICHSMARK at the top, REICHSBANKNOTE at the bottom. On the left - putto with fish, on the right - putto with flower (allegory of agriculture). In the upper left and lower right corners - the serial number, the color is red, the series is designated by the letter.

Below - an explanatory inscription stating that fake banknotes will be punished with content in a correctional home for a period of at least two years.

A putto is a figure in a work of art depicted as a chubby male child, usually naked and sometimes winged. Originally limited to profane passions in symbolism, the putto came to represent the sacred cherub (plural cherubs) (plural cherubim); and in the Baroque period of art, the putto came to represent the omnipresence of God. A putto representing a cupid is also called an amorino (plural amorini).

Comments:

Designer: Professor Langer.

"Kreuz-Iris" printing was used until 1940/1941. Later, during WWII, it has been discontinued.

It is a special technique for the transition of the colors in the underprint and not easily concernible and a not really representable on a scan or photo.

The series, however, with and without "Kreuz-Iris" printing, are all known.