Top
header Notes Collection

1 Pound 1958, South West Africa

in Krause book Number: 14f
Years of issue: 01.09.1958
Edition: 81876
Signatures: Hoofagent: Kurt Heinrich Theodor Linning (1958 - 1959), Hoofbestuurder: Johannes Albertus Hurter
Serie: Volkskas Limited
Specimen of: 01.06.1949
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 154 x 83
Printer: Waterlow and Sons Limited, London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Pound 1958

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Head of woman wearing Voortrekker bonnet.

VoortrekkerVoortrekker

Avers:

1 Pound 1958

ChristuskircheChristuskirche

Centered is The Christ Church.

The Christ Church (or Christuskirche) is a historic landmark and Lutheran church in Windhoek, Namibia, belonging to the German-speaking Evangelical Lutheran Church in Namibia. It was designed by architect Gottlieb Redecker.

The church was built following the wars between the Germans and the Khoikhoi, Herero, and Owambo. The foundation stone was laid on 11 August 1907, while on 16 October 1910 the church was officially dedicated. It was originally known as the Church of Peace.

Christ Church was constructed from quartz sandstone mined from the vicinity of Avis Dam. It has a mixture of neo-Romanesque, Art Nouveau and Gothic revival influences. Its spire is 24 m. high.

The portico was made from Carrara marble imported from Italy. The clock and part of the roof was shipped from Germany, as were the three bronze bells cast by Franz Schilling. They bear the inscriptions "Ehre sei Gott in der Höhe" (Glory to God in the highest), "Friede auf Erden" (Peace on earth), and "Den Menschen ein Wohlgefallen" (Goodwill towards men). During a confirmation service in the 1960 the clapper of the main bell came loose, smashed through the window and fell on the street. Window bars were installed in reaction to this.

The colorful stained lead glass windows in the sanctuary were a gift from Emperor Wilhelm II. In the late 1990s a tourist noticed that all of them were installed with the sun protection on the inside. In the two years following this discovery, all window elements were restored and turned around.

The church is located on a traffic island on Robert Mugabe Avenue, opposite the Tintenpalast.

Tintenpalast

On left side, white building is "Tintenpalast" - the parliament building in Windhoek, Namibia's (then - South-West Africans) capital.

The Tintenpalast (German for "Ink Palace") is the seat of both chambers of the Namibian legislature, the National Council and the National Assembly. It is located in the Namibian capital of Windhoek, just north of Robert Mugabe Avenue. It was designed by German architect Gottlieb Redecker and built by the company Sander & Kock between 1912 and 1913 out of regional materials as an administration building for the German government, which colonized Namibia at the time. As an allusion to the large ink usage by the workers in the building, it was named "Tintenpalast" or "Ink Palace". The building is surrounded by the Parliament Gardens which is very popular among the inhabitants of Windhoek.

Parliament Gardens

The place between Tintenpalast and Christuskirche is Park - Parliament Gardens.

Parliament Gardens is a small park in downtown Windhoek, Namibia. It is located between the Tintenpalast (Namibia's Parliament building) and the Christuskirche. It was laid out in 1932 and was originally called the Tintenpalast gardens, adopting its present name after Namibian independence in 1990.

On the top are the Bank Names in English and Afrikaans.

Text above: "Registered Commercial Bank. Promises to pay the bearer on demand at Windhoek, Beloof op aanvraag te betaal aan toonder te Windhoek".

Text at the bottom: "This note is legal Tender and is covered by security lodged with the secretary for South-West Africa in Terms of the Banks Proclamation 1930".

Revers:

1 Pound 1958

Afrikaans, English, and German text; bank seal with single shear plow. The Afrikaans word "Arbeidsaamheid", which appears in the bank seal on back, translates into English as "Diligence".

Comments:

Volkskas Beperk, Volkskas Limited (People’s Bank).

On 12 April 1947, the Volkskas Limited was registered as a commercial bank in South West Africa with its first branch opening in Windhoek on 20 October 1948. The bank was granted permission to issue notes as legal tender under article 19 of Government Proclamation 29 of 1930 by means of Government notice No. 193/194 dated 15 July 1949. As such, Volkskas was the last of the commercial banks to enter the South West Africa market with its own currency. These notes circulated for just over 12 years before being withdrawn in favor of South African currency at the time of decimalization in 1961 and the launch of rands and cents.

These notes feature text in Afrikaans, English, and German. The notes issued up to 1958 were delivered by W&S to the bank without the date or signatures, which were subsequently overprinted in the Union of South Africa. Notes delivered after 1958 had the signatures printed by W&S.

South West African Pound The pound was in circulation between 1930 and 1959 and was issued by the following banks: The Standard Bank of South Africa Limited, Barclays Bank (Dominion, Colonial and Overseas), and Volkskas Limited. These notes were in circulation along with the South African pound until 1961, when they were withdrawn and replaced by the South African Rand. The South West African pound was pegged to the South African pound, which replaced the South West African mark in 1918.