header Notes Collection
Top

10 Pounds 1955, Israel

in Krause book Number: 27a
Years of issue: 04.08.1955
Edition: --
Signatures: Governor of the Bank: Mr. David Horowitz; Chairman of the Advisory Council: Mr. S. Hoofien
Serie: The first series of Israeli lira 1955
Specimen of: 04.08.1955
Material: Unknown material
Size (mm): 150 x 82
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

10 Pounds 1955

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Seven-branched candelabrum with an imprint of tulips (menorah).

Avers:

10 Pounds 1955

View of the Jezreel Valley depicting settlements and cultivated fields.

The Jezreel Valley (עמק יזרעאל‎, Emek Yizrael) is a large fertile plain and inland valley south of the Lower Galilee region in Israel. The Samarian highlands and Mount Gilboa border the valley from the south and to the north lies the Israeli cities Afula and Tiberias. To the west is the Mount Carmel range, and to the east is the Jordan Valley.

Kibbutz Kfar YehezkelOn the banknote pictured Kfar Yehezkel. It is a moshav ovdim in northern Israel. It is located in the Jezreel Valley, six kilometres southeast of Afula. It is under the jurisdiction of the Gilboa Regional Council. Kfar Yehezkel was founded on 16 December 1921 by pioneers of the Second Aliyah. Settlers from Tel Hai and Hamara, which was evacuated because of Arab attacks from Lebanon, were also among the founding members. It was the second moshav ovdim in Palestine, after Nahalal.

Originally called Ayn Tib'un after the nearby spring, it was renamed Kfar Yehezkel in memory of Yehezkel Sassoon,who drowned in Bagdad shortly before. Since he had no heirs his share of the family's business was donated by his brothers Moshe, Josef and Ezra Sassoon, to found Kfar Yehezkel. (Yehezkel Sassoon is not related at all to Sasson Efendi, the statesman). Ezra and his family attended the founding in 1921.

Two tulips

Two Sharon tulips or Sun's Eye Tulips (Tulipa agenensis, צבעוני ההרים, Kam el-Ghazal,قرن الغزال، ثريا) are in top right corner.

flowerTulipa agenensis in Israel.

Life form: Geophyte.

Stems: Approximately 40 cm. high, hairless.

Leaves: Rosette, lanceolate to linear-lanceolate.

Inflorescence: Flowers solitary.

Flowers: Red, black, yellow; perianth-segments c. 3 times as long as wide, elliptical to elliptic oblong, acuminate.

Fruits / pods: Loculicidal capsules.

Flowering Period: February, March, April.

Habitat: Turkey, Iran, Cyprus, the Aegean Islands, Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Jordan, and Palestine, an naturalized in the central and western Mediterranean (Italy, Tunisia, France, Portugal, etc.).

Distribution: Mediterranean Woodlands and Shrublands.

Chorotype, טיפוס התפוצה: Med - Irano-Turanian.

Summer shedding: Ephemeral.

The denomination "Ten Israeli Pounds" and "Bank of Israel" in Hebrew.​

Revers:

10 Pounds 1955

An abstract design; the denomination "Ten Israeli Pounds" and "Bank of Israel" in Arabic and English.​

Comments:

First own money the state of Israel. At the initiative of the first Governor of the Bank of Israel David Horowitz, and with the assistance of a special committee chaired by S.Hufien, developed the first series of Israeli banknotes. The Committee decided to use in the design of banknotes the Israeli landscapes. The design of banknotes was entrusted by the artists of TDLR (banknotes were printed at its factory).

Put into circulation on August 4, 1955.

Withdrawn March 31, 1984.

Exists with red and black serial number.