header Notes Collection

20 Pounds Sterling 1967, Kingdom of Great Britain

in Banknotes Book Number: SC323
Years of issue: 01.12.1967
Signatures: General manager: Mr. R.D. Fairbairn
Serie: Scotland
Specimen of: 19.11.1964
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 162 х 93
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

20 Pounds Sterling 1967




20 Pounds Sterling 1967

coat of arms

The Coat of arms of the bank is on right side.

The coat of arms consists of elements from: Glasgow's coat of arms, Scotland's coat of arms, and the coats of arms of the members of the bank's board of directors in 1948.

A little about the coat of arms of the Clydesdale bank in the period from 1948 to 1971 please read the info on attached photo.

Onopordum acanthium

Under the coat of arms is Onopordum acanthium (cotton thistle, Scotch thistle), which for more then 500 years already is a national emblem and symbol of Scotland.

It is a flowering plant in the family Asteraceae. Native to Europe and Western Asia from the Iberian Peninsula east to Kazakhstan, and north to central Scandinavia, and widely naturalised elsewhere. It's a vigorous biennial plant with coarse, spiny leaves and conspicuous spiny-winged stems.

In general, some of the species of thistle is a true historic Scottish thistle, can not always determine even Scottish antiquarians as not necessarily that Scotland is home Onopordon Acanthium.

There is a strong opinion, that it is this kind of thistle was originally the emblem of the House of Stuart, and has become a national symbol, most likely thanks to an impressive appearance. Some experts call the candidate for a likely candidate other species, native of Scotland, for example Cirsium vulgare.

Denomination in words is centered, in numerals are in three corners.


20 Pounds Sterling 1967

George Square Glasgow George Square Glasgow

On banknote is view on George square in Glasgow, Scotland (view from west to east).

Medieval Glasgow had a large area of common pasture to the west and north of the city. Every day, the town herd took the cattle of the burghers along an unpaved road called Cow Lone which led from the Trongate's West Port to pasture on the common, then on to Cowcaddens where the cattle were milked in the evening before returning. Long narrow back gardens or riggs ran north from Trongate properties, forming the Langcroft area, and along its northern boundary Back Cow Lone provided an alternative route west from the High Street. Cow Lone ran north between the Meadowflat lands (to the west) and the Ramshorn croft, which was bounded to the north by Rottenrow lane, and on the east by Deanside Brae, down via Greyfriar's Wynd (Shuttle Street) to Candleriggs. These lands became George Hutcheson's property in 1609. Hutcheson's Hospital tried to lease areas to small crofts or gardeners but the ground was poor. In 1772 the city magistrates bought the lands of Ramshorn and Meadowflats.

From 1750 wealth from tobacco, sugar and cotton brought rapid expansion westwards, with new streets laid out along the riggs, including Virginia Street in 1753 and Miller Street in 1762. Cow Lone, impassible in wet weather, was renamed Queen street after Queen Charlotte in 1766, and paved as far as the junction with Back Cow Lone, which in 1772 was straightened and renamed Ingram Street. In that year the town's surveyor, James Barrie (or Barry), produced a grid plan for the Ramshorn lands, similar to planned development in London and Craig's 1766 gridded plan for Edinburgh's New Town. Barrie produced another plan in 1781, and in 1782 Glasgow's council adopted a grid incorporating a large square. This provided "a regular plan to the line of the streets in which every purchaser was bound to keep", later extended over Meadowflats. In 1782 a house for two families was built in George Square, then there was a four-year pause before rapid growth began. Directly in line with the projected extension of Queen Street, a large mansion was built around 1783 in grounds just south of Rottenrow lane as Bailie George Crawford's Lodging, later known as Glasgow House.

George's square, as it was known initially, was named after King George III. New streets named after royalty included Hanover street and Frederick street. Around 1790 the developments north of Trongate became known as Glasgow's New Town (in post-1980 regeneration this general area was rebranded as the Merchant City).

Between 1787 and the 1820s Georgian terraces were built around the perimeter of George's square. The west side (in line with Queen Street) was a three-storey high block of six tenements, which had three entrances with passageways to turnpike stairs at the back for the upper flats. These "plain dwellings" were "the residences of many most respectable families", but were criticised as looking like soldier's barracks or a cotton mill. The east side was a two-storey high terrace of "comfortable dwelling-houses with a double flight of steps to the second storey". By 1807 a hotel occupied the south end of this terrace, it later became the George Hotel. On the south and north sides, terraces of large townhouses had three storeys above a basement lit by a sunken area fenced off from the pavement. As Glasgow historian James Denholm wrote of "George's square" in 1804, "The buildings here are very elegant, particularly those upon the north; which, from the beauty of the design, and taste displayed in the execution, surpass by far any other either in this city or in Scotland." The north side was completed 1807-1818 with three imposing townhouses built between Queen Street and Hanover Street.

James Ewing of Strathleven bought Glasgow House in 1815, its grounds became known as the "Queen Street Park". Crows nested in tall trees around his mansion, and he was nicknamed "Craw Ewing". The centre of George Square had been used as a tip for surplus soil and debris around a stagnant pool, it was enclosed with a paling fence and used for grazing sheep. The first statue, erected in 1819 on the south of the square facing Miller Street, commemorated Sir John Moore of Corunna.

George Square Glasgow

Well, as I have done in some other banknotes with similar views, I decided to paint all the objects visible on the banknote. I marked them with numbers (pictured).

Let's go in order:

Glasgow City Chambers

1) The City Chambers or Municipal Buildings in Glasgow, Scotland, has functioned as the headquarters of Glasgow City Council since 1996, and of preceding forms of municipal government in the city since 1889. It is located on the eastern side of the city's George Square. It is a Category A listed building.

The need for a new city chambers had been apparent since the 18th century, with the old Tolbooth at Glasgow Cross becoming insufficient for the purposes of civic government in a growing town with greater political responsibilities. In 1814, the Tolbooth was sold – with the exception of the steeple, which still remains – and the council chambers moved to Jail Square in the Saltmarket, near Glasgow Green. Subsequent moves were made to Wilson Street and Ingram Street. In the early 1880s, City Architect John Carrick was asked to identify a suitable site for a purpose built City Council Chambers. Carrick identified the east side of George Square, which was then bought.

Following a design competition, the building was designed by the Scottish architect William Young in the Victorian style and construction started in 1882. The building was inaugurated by Queen Victoria in August 1888 and the first council meeting held within the chambers took place in October 1889. An extension connected by pairs of archways across John Street was completed in 1912 and Exchange House in George Street was completed in the mid-1980s.

The new City Chambers initially housed Glasgow Town Council from 1888 to 1895, when that body was replaced by Glasgow Corporation. It remained the Corporation's headquarters until it was replaced by Glasgow District Council under the wider Strathclyde Regional Council in May 1975. It then remained the Glasgow District Council headquarters until the abolition of the Strathclyde Region led to the formation of Glasgow City Council in April 1996.

The building is in the Beaux arts style, an interpretation of Renaissance Classicism incorporating Italianate styles with a vast range of ornate decoration, used to express the wealth and industrial export-led economic prosperity of the Second City of the Empire. The exterior sculpture, by James Alexander Ewing, included the central Jubilee Pediment as its centrepiece. Although originally intended to feature a figure symbolising Glasgow 'with the Clyde at her feet sending her manufactures to all the world', the Pediment was redesigned to celebrate Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It depicts Victoria enthroned, surrounded by emblematic figures of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales, alongside the colonies of the British Empire (mostly British India). Ewing also designed the apex sculptures of Truth, Riches, and Honour, and the statues of The Four Seasons on the Chamber's tower. The central apex figure of Truth is popularly known as Glasgow's Statue of Liberty, because of its close resemblance to the similarly posed, but very much larger, statue in New York harbour.


2) McCance Building and Livingstone Tower, Strathclyde University, Richmond street 16.

Built in 1963, it was part of a joint initiative between the Royal College of Science and Technology and Glasgow Corporation to redevelop the Richmond Street site. A row of slum housing had been cleared in the late 1950s, and the idea was to give the College a new library and central admin building. It fitted right in with the Corporation's grand regeneration scheme - the rest of the complex was purely commercial, encompassing a covered car park, a row of shops - and a multi-storey office building, which of course became the Livingstone Tower and ended up becoming part of the University anyway.

Named after Andrew McCance - who was both a senior executive of Colville's (a local steelmaking company) and a professor of the Royal College and played a key role (together with the then principal Sir Sam Curran) in its metamorphosis into the University of Strathclyde. So therefore, the central administration building bears his name (McCance would be honoured a second time when the new Civil Engineering building erected four years later bore the name "Colville") The Andersonian Library lived in the McCance building in what is now Registry until 1981, when it moved up to the Curran Building.

Today the nerve centre of Strathclyde - it's where all the admin functions are - Registry, Human Resources, Finance, and of course, the Principal's office. The senior management folks also have their own private corridor to the neighbouring Collins Building. The top floor is where some refugees from Arts and Social Science departments live (History, Politics etc...)

As part of the University's campus plan - revised in 2011, the intention is to vacate the McCance Building by the year 2023, which goes against original plans to be out by 2014. After this date, the building will be handed back over to its lessor - Glasgow City Council (despite the lease lasting until 2064), after which its fate is uncertain. (

The Livingstone Tower is a prominent high rise building in Glasgow, Scotland and is a part of the University of Strathclyde's John Anderson Campus. The building was named after David Livingstone. The address of the building is 26 Richmond Street, Glasgow.

The building is a notable landmark in the eastern side of the city centre, and its high position on the drumlin of Rottenrow means it can be seen from some considerable distance throughout the city's East End. It was also among the earliest high-rise commercial buildings to go up in the city centre in the post-war period, pre-dated only by St Andrew's House (1964), Fleming House (1961), and the Royal Stuart Hotel (1963)—the latter having been owned by Strathclyde University in the 1980s and early 1990s as a student hall of residence.


3) Royal College Building, Strathclyde University, George Street 204.

Built in 1901. Architect: David Barclay. The original building of the University of Strathclyde (awarded 1964).


4) The former Inland Revenue building, George Street 280.

Architect V.V. Robertson, 1885. 3-storey attic and basement. office building with Renaissance elements and French roofs. Symmetrical five-span facade on George Street, asymmetrical 6-story elevation to North Frederick Street, both similar in detail.

The existing building is a recessed façade inside the colonnade; This recessed ground floor level rises 1500 mm. above the street. (

Glasgow Glasgow

5) Building at 50 George Square, photo from 1971. Now, in this place, since 1979, is the George House.

I have difficulties with this building. So far, I cannot find any information about him. All I know is that it was demolished in 1976-1977, for a couple of years this place was a wasteland. And then, in 1979, the George House was built here.

On second photo - George Square in 1882, the groundbreaking ceremony for the City Chambers building (number 1 in the description of buildings). The photo shows, that the light building in this site was already there, which means, that it is older, than the building of the City Chambers.

The photo, which was kindly shared with me by Norry Wilson from Glasgow, shows that this building was light in color, however, over time, it has darkened (it looks very dark in the 1961 photo at the beginning of the description). I wrote to the Glasgow City Archives and a couple of city libraries, asking for help with information about this building. As soon as I get an answer, I'll add it here!

Today is August 28, 2021. I got a response, unexpectedly, from the "Project Glasgow" community on Facebook.

They wrote to me: "Hi Oleg, only just spotted your question. It was the Royal Hotel, built in c.1850 and designed by James Robertson."

Glasgow Glasgow

On September 3rd I got a response from Hazel McLatchie - many thanks to her :)

This is, what she wrote :

"Dear Oleg, I have found by using maps and post office directories that the building at 50 George St was for a long time the Royal Hotel. Prior to this it was numbered as 66 George Square and was the Royal Hotel back as far as 1840.

There were probably houses and offices on this terrace too as the early maps show that the hotel does not occupy the full terrace. One book does estimate the building to have been erected c. 1807-1818 but no architect is given, however porches and other alterations were made by James Robertson c.1850."


6) Monument to William Ewart Gladstone, sculptor - William Hamo Thornycroft, 1902.

William Ewart Gladstone FRS FSS (29 December 1809 – 19 May 1898) was a British statesman and Liberal politician. In a career lasting over 60 years, he served for 12 years as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, spread over four terms beginning in 1868 and ending in 1894. He also served as Chancellor of the Exchequer four times, serving over 12 years.<

The subject stands erect in the robes of the Rector of Glasgow University with arms folded across his chest, and with a book in his left hand. There are several other books and a sheaf of manuscripts at his feet. The treatment of the left hand creates the impression that the index finger is tucked between the leaves of the book, though in fact this is a tactful device to conceal the disfigured remains of the finger, which had been amputated after a shooting accident in 1845. On the pedestal there are two narrative reliefs showing, on the left (east) face, Gladstone as Prime Minister addressing the House of Commons; on the right, Gladstone ‘engaged in his favourite recreation of tree-felling’ in the grounds of Hawarden Castle. In the latter panel he is shown ‘with his sleeves rolled up, (leaning on his axe, while seated on a log beside him are his wife, his daughter (Mrs. Drew), and his favourite grandchild, Dorothy Drew’. The panels are modelled in very low relief and are very slightly concave, following the curvature of the plinth (between the base and the cornice). A bronze coat of Glasgow crest draped with a swag is attached to the front of the pedestal. The unveiling, originally scheduled for the first fortnight of August, finally took place on Saturday, 11 October 1902, the ceremony being performed by the Earl of Rosebery. Originally sited opposite the main entrance to the City Chambers, the monument was moved to its present location during the construction of the Cenotaph. Permission from the Parks Department was required for its removal, which was carried out by the firm of J.& G. Mossman on 14th and 15th March 1923. A photograph of the statue being hoisted onto the pedestal in its new location was published by the Glasgow Herald, which noted that its removal was ‘a source of great interest to the moving crowds about the centre of the city.’ (


7) The eastern side of the square itself is flanked by two lawns and is also the site of the city's Cenotaph, which was designed by Sir John James Burnet and originally built to commemorate Glaswegians killed in the First World War (later, it commemorate Glaswegians killed in the both World Wars). It was conceived in 1921, and unveiled in 1924 by Field Marshall Earl Haig.


8) The 80-foot-high (24 m.) column in the center of the square celebrates author Sir Walter Scott. It was erected in 1838.

Sir Walter Scott - (1771-1832) - Novelist and poet (Rob Roy & Lady of the Lake). The statue was designed by John Greenshields, a native of Lesmahagow. It was executed by Handyside & Ritchie. The inscription is by William Mossman and the column and pedestal was designed by the architect David Rhind. James Govan the stone mason completed the monument in 1838 and stands high above the square on an 80 foot column. Sir Walter Scott stands on the top of this tall column, with his plaid thrown over his right shoulder (as he usually did in life) instead of his left. Scott is shown standing in a relaxed posture with his right foot slightly advanced and his left hand raised to his chest, he holds a pen in his left hand and a book in his right. Dressed in a cutaway coat, he also wears a shepherd’s plaid, which passes diagonally across his chest and falls to the ground from his right shoulder. The placement of the plaid on the right shoulder obeys a convention which correctly identifies Scott as a native of the Borders rather than a Highlander. The statue is composed of four blocks, with joins occurring at the hips, shoulders and thighs, and stands on a decorated cylindrical pedestal supported by a Doric column. The column itself is raised on a rectangular pedestal with sarcophagi inserted into each of the four sides and pairs of lion masks on the corner piers. Prompted by the belief that a monument to Scott would be a means of inspiring others to emulate that great and glorious man who had shed such lustre on the annals of his country, a monument committee was formed on 18th October 1832, less than a month after the author’s death. It is interesting to note that the list of subscribers includes Thomas Campbell and James Oswald, who had monuments erected to them in George Square shortly afterwards. On completion, the statue was the first public monument to Sir Walter Scott anywhere in the world, pre-dating the larger and more celebrated memorial on Princess Street, Edinburgh, by almost a decade. It is also interesting to note the magnificent Stewart Memorial Fountain in Kelvingrove Park is based on themes from Sir Walter Scott’s narrative poem ‘The Lady of the Lake’ and its imagery around the romantic folklore associated with the Trossachs.

In his novel ‘Rob Roy’, Scott wrote vividly of Highlanders visiting Glasgow in the early XVIII century: “The dusky mountains of the western Highlands often sent forth wilder tribes to frequent the marts of St. Mungo’s favourite city. Hordes of wild shaggy, dwarfish cattle and ponies, conducted by Highlanders as wild, as shaggy, and sometimes as dwarfish, as the animals they had in charge, often traversed the streets of Glasgow. Strangers gazed with surprise on the antique and fantastic dress, and listened to the unknown and dissonant sounds of theirlanguage...” It is recognised that Scott’s romantic novels contributed greatly to Scotland’s international reputation and he has been credited by many with unwittingly creating the Scottish tourist industry. (


9) Monument to Robert Burns. Erected in 1877.

Robert Burns - (1759-1796) - Scotland’s national poet (Auld Lang Syne, My Love Is Like A Red, Red Rose et al). The statue by George Ewing was erected January 1877.

Robert Burns began composing poetry while farming in Ayrshire in 1783, publishing poems, chiefly in the Scottish Dialect in 1786. After moving from Edinburgh to Dumfries Burns became an excise officer circa 1789. In addition to his love poetry and his narrative poems on political themes he also wrote numerous folk songs. Many of these were based on his research into traditional Scottish folk music, and published in James Johnson’s Scots Musical Museum (1787-1803). His unique standing as a poet is reflected in the celebratory ‘Burns Suppers’, which still take place annually in many parts of the world on the anniversary of his birth.Burns is represented as a "superior Scottish peasant", with his "...broad Kilmarnock bonnet half crushed in the hollow of his right elbow, and holding the "wee crimson-tipped flower" in his hand, in an easy and graceful attitude of poetic contemplation. Dressed in a frock-coat, waistcoat and knee breeches, the figure is supported from behind by a pillar concealed by a folded plaid, with thistles growing from the rear". The founders, "Cox & Sons of Thames Ditton, London", describe the cast of the statue as "one of the most perfect they have ever produced". On the pedestal there are three panels, depicting scenes from his best-known poems, a cottage interior from "The Cotter’s Saturday Night", (left), the poet being crowned, from "The Vision", (rear), revelries at Alloway Kirk, from "Tam o’Shanter", (right). A planned panel of "The Twa Dogs" was not carried out. The monument was first under the care of the Dennistoun Burns Club, and was by them lovingly decorated on the anniversaries of the poet’s birth. We owe it mainly to the efforts of Mr. J Browne, Dr. Hedderwick and ex-Bailie Wilson for the erection of the monument. Mr. Browne suggested the shilling subscription that raised in a determined effort to erect a worthy memorial to Scotland’s national poet. Subscribers were mostly from Glasgow but also included residents of other towns in the West of Scotland as well as "Scotsmen in distant parts of the world". Within a year, £1,680 had been raised. Mr. George Edwin Ewing, a prominent local sculptor, was invited to submit a design for a pedestrian statue in bronze. At this time, subscriptions totalled £1,700 and with contributions still to come in, the cost was fixed at £2,000. A clay model was completed in March, 1876, which was then cast in stucco and finally, in October 1876 the statue was cast in bronze. It was unanimously agreed that the inauguration should take place on the anniversary of the poet’s birth, 25th January, 1877. The reliefs were not completed until 1887 by James Alexander Ewing Younger brother of the monuments sculptor George Edward Ewing, and when the statue was inaugurated by Lord Houghton the poet and biographer of Keats, on January 1877, the spaces on the pedestal were still blank. Nevertheless, the unveiling, which coincided with the anniversary of Burns’ birth, was a major civic event. The day was declared a public holiday, and there were trade processions from Glasgow Green which joined a crowd (about 30,000 people) recorded for a public unveiling in Glasgow. The occasion was also commemorated by a special performance at the Theatre Royal on the preceding evening.The relief plaster casts friezes are currently housed in Robert Burns Birthplace Museum, Alloway. James Alexander Ewing sculptor of the reliefs died 29th May 1900 at the age of 57 and is buried in Sandymount Cemetery in the East-end of Glasgow. The statue of Robert Burns featured in Glasgow City Council’s "Adopt a Monument" scheme which attempted to persuade sponsors to pay for the upkeep of monuments in the city in 1985. A small plaque inserted onto the plinth reads; This statue is maintained with the generous assistance of the Glasgow and District Burns Association “The Jean Armour Burns Houses” Mauchline. This effort to commemorate Burns started a series of statuary and monuments in Scotland beginning with Burns Monument in Kilmarnock (1881), the movement to build which was instigated by the initiative to raise a statue of Burns in Glasgow. (


10) Monument to Sir John Moore. Erected in 1819. Sculptor - John Flaxman.

Sir John Moore - (1761-1809) - British army officer. Brought up in ‘Donald’s Land’, in the Trongate, Glasgow, he began his military life in 1776 when, under the guidance of the Duke of Hamilton, he entered the 51st Foot, as an ensign. He then served as captain-lieutenant in the Duke of Hamilton’s regiment in America (1778-83) followed by a short period as MP for the united burghs of Lanark, Selkirk, Peebles and Linlithgow. His military career was resumed in 1787, and he rose through the ranks, seeing service in the Mediterranean, Corsica, the West Indies, Ireland, Holland and Egypt. In 1803 he took charge of the training of forces at Shorncliffe Camp in Kent, and by his flexible tactics and efficient, humane discipline, earned a reputation as one of the greatest trainers of infantrymen in military history. The effectiveness of his method was shown in the Peninsular War, where he was sent in 1808 to combat Napoleon. During the retreat of his army to Corunna in 1809, Moore was mortally wounded by cannon shot in the hour of victory. His heroic death is commemorated in Rev. Charles Wolfe’s poem ‘The Burial of Sir John Moore’, and a monument was erected over his grave in the field of battle by his chief French adversary, Marshal Soult. The subject is shown standing with right leg slightly advanced, a sword (now missing) in his left hand, and the right ‘placed in an easy position across the breast. He is in military dress, but with much of his uniform ‘finely concealed by the drapery of a military cloak thrown gracefully around the person, and falling easily and naturally down. The pedestal of Aberdeen granite consists of a tapered cylindrical Plinth (with a plain cornice and base), and is supported by a square plinth.The statue was cast from three tons of bronze salvaged, according to a source, from cannon ‘captured (or surplus) at the end of the Napoleonic Wars’. The same source also records that the pedestal weighs ten tons. Of the £3,600 in the subscription fund, £400 was set aside for the inscription and the construction of a circular iron railing round the monument, with part of the considerable surplus’ used to repair the damage caused by lighting strike to the Lord Nelson Monument in Glasgow Green. In the years following its erection the statue was to become the focus of diverse popular and critical opinions. It is known to have been vandalised by hooligans, and a contemporary satirical cartoon shows a group of children throwing rocks at it and swinging from it on ropes, possibly in attempt to pull it down. Among the persons who have expert knowledge and understanding of a particular field, however, it soon became to be regarded as a masterpiece. Sir David Wilkie, for example, described it as ‘the finest modern statue in Europe’. The statue was unveiled 18th August 1819. (


11) Monument to Dr. Thomas Graham. Erected in 1872. Sculptor - William Brodie.

Dr. Thomas Graham (1805-1869) – was a brilliant experimental chemist, pioneering laboratory-based chemical education at Glasgow University. His statue, designed by William Brodie, was erected in George Square in 1872. A pioneer in the field of chemistry, he formulated “Graham’s Law” on the diffusion of gases and later became Master of the Mint where he instituted many reforms. On returning back to London suffering from inflammation of the lungs his brilliant career was finished at the age of sixty-four, he passed away. His body lies in a resting place not far from his birthplace - in the ground around the Cathedral. The Statue was gifted to the city by James Young. A former student of Graham’s, Young had achieved wealth and fame through the commercial production of paraffin. In accordance with Young’s wishes the unveiling was conducted without public ceremony.The subject is seated in a sabre leg chair, similar in style to that of the earlier monument to James Watt on the opposite corner of the Square, wearing robes of a Doctor of Civil Law of the University of Oxford. His right hand supports his chin and his arm rests on a book, the cover of which shows a glass retort and other experimental equipment. Brodie achieved what a contemporary described as an ‘admirable’ likeness of Graham by studying photographs as well as a painted portrait by George Frederick Watts. The pedestal, which is made of granite from the quarries of "Shearer, Smith & Co.", Dalbeattie, has half–cylinder projections on front and rear of the podium. (

Glasgow Glasgow Glasgow

12) According to my guess, on the banknote - Austin, model of 1961.

Austin Motor Company is an automobile company founded in 1905 by Herbert Austin in Great Britain and producing cars under the Austin brand. The company existed as an independent company until 1952, after which it was included in various industrial and commercial groups and holdings. Since 2005, the rights to use the brand belong to the Chinese company "Nanjing Automobile", which is part of the state-owned PRC company "SAIC Motor" (Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation).


13) General Post Office, 1-7 George Square.

Erected in 1878. Architect: Robert Matheson. 1892-1894 remodelling, architect Walter Robertson; 1914-1916 side blocks, architects William Oldrieve and Cecil Simpson. (

Glasgow City Chambers

14) On banknote is a spire of the Hutchesons' Hall, Ingram Street 158.

Hutchesons' Hall is an early nineteenth-century building in Ingram Street, in the centre of Glasgow, Scotland. It is owned and maintained by the Rusk Company and National Trust for Scotland, and is a category A listed building.

The current building was constructed, as Hutchesons' Hospital, between 1802 and 1805 to a design by the Scottish architect David Hamilton. This building was to replace an earlier hospital of 1641, situated in the city's Trongate. Hamilton's design incorporates in its frontage statues (carved in 1649 by James Colquhoun) from this earlier hospital.

Hutcheson's Hospital was built with monies left in the will of brothers George Hutcheson (c. 1580-1639) and Thomas Hutcheson (1589-1641) for the purposes of building a hospital for the elderly and a school for poor boys. The school is still operating today, although fee-paying, as Hutchesons' Grammar School.

In 1876, the architect John Baird was commissioned to refurbish the hall. This work heightened the structure and added a feature staircase.

The building fell into disrepair and had been empty since 2008. In June 2014, having undergone a £1.4M refurbishment, it was restored by James Rusk of The Rusk Company and opened as a three flooring dining venue - Hutchesons steak and seafood house.

15) Tower of the City Chambers in Glasgow, Scotland (Glasgow City Chambers) from Cochrane street (southeast corner).


16) Monument to Thomas Campbell. Erected in 1877. Sculptor - William Brodie. On banknote is only postament visible!

Thomas Campbell - (1777-1844) - Scottish poet, historian and political commentator. Born in Glasgow and educated at Grammar School, he entered the University at the age of twelve and there distinguished himself during seven years of study. He later moved to Edinburgh to study law and began his successful literary career with "The Pleasures of Hope", published in 1799. Among other poems composed on the continent were "The Exile of Erin," "Ye Mariners of England", and the beautiful "Soldier’s Dream". The scene of the latter was the field between Ratisbon and Ingoldstadt, where he witnessed the conflict between the French and Austrians. In the year after his return from Germany to Leith he published "Hohenlinden and Lochiel’s Warning" one of the most spirited of his war ballads. In November, 1826, there came the greatest honour of his life, his election to the Lord Rectorship of Glasgow University. In 1843 he went to reside at Boulogne, with the twofold objective of furthering the education of a niece whom he had adopted and of benefiting his own health. In a feeble state aged 67, Thomas Campbell died on 15th June 1844. He was buried in the Poet’s Corner of Westminster Abbey.

The poet is shown with his left foot advanced, holding a quill pen in his right hand and a sheaf of manuscripts in his left. He is dressed "in the costume of the latter part of the reign of George IV, with cutaway coat, knee-length boots and a cloak, part of which is draped over his left forearm". The unveiling was preformed by Dr James A. Campbell MP - on the centenary of the poet’s birth, in 1877. In his obituary, James Pittendrigh Macgillivary is recorded as having acted as Mossman’s assistant in the production of the statue, but the extent and nature of his contribution has never been determined. (


17) The Piper Bar, 57 Cochrane Street.

Public house on the corner of Cochrane Street and South Frederick Street, Glasgow. Today here is pub "The Piper Bar". The building dates from about 1820 and is Category C listed. ( .англ)


18) Public house on the Cochrane Street, Glasgow, 53 Cochrane Street. Today here is the hotel "The Saco house".

SACO Glasgow offers one-bedroom serviced apartments in the heart of the city, next to George Square and within the Merchant City "cultural quarter".

These interior-designed apartments are set in a beautifully refurbished building, and have spacious living/ dining areas, well-equipped modern kitchens, separate bathrooms, bedrooms with king-sized beds and luxurious soft furnishings throughout.(


19) Public house on the Cochrane Street, Glasgow, 47 Cochrane Street. Today here are apartments the "The Italian center".

Set in the much admired Italian Centre in the heart of the City, this exceptional two bedroom flat sets on the top floor and enjoys two private balconies. A unique design, this bright and airy home is certain to appeal to a wide range of buyers. Presented to a good standard throughout and offered in walk-in condition. Whilst being on the doorstep of the lively City Centre with its abundance of shops, bars and restaurants, it has a peaceful courtyard setting taking you away from the everyday hustle and bustle. Also on hand are excellent public transport links.

Entering this breath taking development you will be in awe of its courtyard setting with quaint Italian Restaurant – ideal for sitting outside and enjoying a drink in fine weather. The internal accommodation comprises; welcoming entrance hallway, magnificent 34’0 lounge/dining room which is flooded with natural light throughout the day and gives access to two separate balconies. There is a dining kitchen accessed from the lounge which is fitted with wall and floor units and integrated electric hob and oven. The master bedroom has fitted wardrobes and an en-suite shower room. The second double bedroom also has fitted wardrobes, and completing the accommodation is a guest bathroom with white three piece suite and over-bath hand shower.

The specification includes electric heating, double glazing and security controlled entrance. The communal areas are well maintained by an appointed factor.(

Glasgow Glasgow

20) According to my guess, on a banknote, at the entrance of the General Post Office is The Jaguar Type S Mark 2, 1961.

The Jaguar Mark 2 is a mid-sized luxury sports saloon built from late 1959 to 1967 by Jaguar in Coventry, England. The previous Jaguar 2.4 Litre and 3.4 Litre models made between 1955 and 1959 are identified as Mark 1 Jaguars.

The Mark 2 was a fast and capable saloon in line with Sir William Lyons' 1950s advertising slogan: Grace . . . Space . . . Pace, available with all three versions of the advanced Jaguar XK6 I6 engine, the 2.4, 3.4, and 3.8 litre.

Production of the 3.8 ended in the (northern) autumn of 1967, with discounted sale of the 3.4 continuing on as the 340 until September 1968, and the 2.4 as the 240 until April 1969.

There was no direct successor to the Mark 2 series. The 3.8 litre Jaguar S-type, an upscaled and refined version of the Mark 2, had already appeared in 1963, well before the first of the Mark 2 models was discontinued. The Jaguar 420, a more powerful and refined version of the S-Type, appeared in 1966. Both of those models remained in production until late 1968, when the Jaguar XJ6 appeared, ostensibly replacing and placed rather midway between them and the larger, more expensive Jaguar Mark X produced since 1961.

Glasgow Glasgow

21) According to my guess, on a banknote, on the other side of the road from the General Post Office, between two trees is The Mk I Mini Cooper, model, built from 1959 till 1967.

The Mini is a two-door compact city car that was produced by the English-based British Motor Corporation (BMC) and its successors from 1959 until 2000. The original Mini is considered an icon of 1960s British popular culture. Its space-saving transverse engine and front-wheel drive layout – allowing 80% of the area of the car's floorpan to be used for passengers and luggage - influenced a generation of car makers. In 1999, the Mini was voted the second-most influential car of the 20th century, behind the Ford Model T, and ahead of the Citroën DS and Volkswagen Beetle. The front-wheel-drive, transverse-engine layout of the Mini was copied for other "supermini" designs including the Honda N360 (1967), Nissan Cherry (1970), and Fiat 127 (1971). The layout was also adapted for larger subcompact designs.


Although, Scotland is not an independent state, and is part of the UK. Three Scottish banks have the right to issue their own banknotes. Officially, these notes are not called "Scottish pounds" and their denomination designated in pound sterling. In the strict sense of the term "Legal Tender" banknotes of Scottish banks are not even legal tender in Scotland, but can be taken throughout the United Kingdom.