Top
header Notes Collection

100 Pesetas 1970, Spain

in Krause book Number: 152a3
Years of issue: 17.11.1970
Edition:
Signatures: El Gobernador: Luis Coronel de Palma, El Cajero: Joaquin Serrano Garcia, El Interventor: Jose Gallego Adrados
Serie: 1970 Issue
Specimen of: 1970
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 134 x 77
Printer: Fabrica Nacional de Moneda y Timbre, Madrid

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Pesetas 1970

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Manuel de Falla, portrait made in 1932. Please, read obverse description!

Avers:

100 Pesetas 1970

Ignacio Zuloaga y Zabaleta

The engraving on the banknote was made from a portrait of Manuel de Falla by the Spanish artist Ignacio Zuloaga y Zabaleta in 1932. Oil on canvas. Today the portrait is in the Ignacio Zuloaga Museum at Santiago Auzoa, 3, 20750 Zumaia, Gipuzkoa.

Manuel de Falla y Matheu (23 November 1876 – 14 November 1946) was a Spanish composer and pianist. Along with Isaac Albéniz, Francisco Tárrega, and Enrique Granados, he was one of Spain's most important musicians of the first half of the XX century. He has a claim to being Spain's greatest composer of the 20th century, although the number of pieces he composed was relatively modest.

He received his first music lessons from his mother, a pianist, a native of Catalonia (his father was from Valencia). Then he took piano lessons from H. Trago, from whom he later studied at the Madrid Conservatory, where he also studied harmony and counterpoint. At the age of 14, Falla had already begun composing works for a chamber-instrumental ensemble, and in 1897-1904. wrote pieces for piano and 5 zarzuelles. Falho was fruitfully influenced by his years of study with Pedrell (1902-04), who guided the young composer to the study of Spanish folklore. As a result, the first significant work appeared - the opera Short Life (1905).

He was fond of literature, at the age of fifteen he became the founder of two literary magazines. In 1893, having heard the music of Grieg at a concert in Cadiz, he decided to become a composer. From 1889 to 1895 he studied piano by J. Trago in Madrid. In 1896 he wrote the first plays, including for the chamber and instrumental ensemble. In 1896 he entered the Madrid Conservatory. His main teacher was Felipe Pedrell, one of the main figures of the Spanish cultural renaissance - Renacimiento, who instilled in Falla a love of musical folklore (flamenco).

In 1907-1914 Falla lived in Paris, met Debussy, Ravel, Paul Duke, Albeniz, Picasso. Experienced the impact of musical impressionism.

In 1919 he moved from Madrid to Granada, became close to Lorca and his friends. In 1926, the name of Falla was given to the theater in his hometown. In 1922, in Granada, together with F. García Lorca, he organized the cante jondo festival, which had a great social and cultural resonance.

After the defeat of the Republic, from 1939, he lived in Argentina, where he died. In 1947, his remains were transported to Cadiz and buried in the crypt of the local cathedral.

Fallier owns orchestral, chamber and instrumental compositions, songs and romances, including - to the poems of Gongora, Gaultier, Becker, Lorca.

coat

On background is Spanish coat of arms from 1945 till 1977.

The coat of arms is a five-part shield topped with a crown - a sign that Spain is a monarchy. Fields 1 and 4 are also divided into four parts and have images repeating diagonally: Castle Tower - the coat of arms of Castile and a lion standing on its hind legs - the coat of arms of Leon. 2 and 3 fields are vertically separated. On the right (heraldic) parts of the fields, four stripes are applied - the coat of arms of Aragon. On the left sides there are images in the form of ornaments forged from chains - the coat of arms of Navarre. At the end of the shield, in a small diamond-shaped field, there is an image of a pomegranate - the coat of arms of Granada. On the sides of the shield there are two columns, crowned with the right (heraldic) imperial crown, and the left with the royal crown - the so-called "Pillars of Hercules" - the ancient name of Gibraltar, which at one time was considered the end of the world. The posts are entwined with a tape with the motto: "Plus Ultra" - "Beyond the limit" (lat.). This is the personal emblem of King Carlos I (Holy Roman Emperor Charles V). The holder of the shield is the eagle of St. John the Evangelist. The bird's head is surrounded by a halo against the background of a waving motto ribbon. The inscription on the tape: "Una Grande Libre" - "One, Great, Free" (Spanish). On the sides of the eagle's tail are symbols that are the personal emblems of the Catholic kings Ferdinand and Isabella: a yoke (jugo) and a bundle of five arrows (flechas). The latter were the sign of the Francoist organization "Phalanx".

Revers:

100 Pesetas 1970

Generalife

Generalife (Spanish Generalife, from Arabic Jannat al-'Arif - "garden of the architect") - the former country residence of the emirs of the Nasrid dynasty, who ruled Granada in the XIII-XIV centuries.

The Generalife Gardens are located on the Cerro del Sol hill; together with the fortress-residence of the Alhambra and the residential area of ​​Albayzin, located slightly to the west, which form the medieval part of the city, the Generalife is included in the UNESCO World Heritage List as “an invaluable example of royal Arab residences of the medieval period”.

The palace and gardens were built during the reign of Muhammad III (1302-1309) and redecorated shortly after Sultan Ishmael I (1313-1324). The complex includes the Patio de la Acequia (courtyard of the stream), which houses a long pool surrounded by flower beds, fountains, colonnades and pavilions, as well as Jardín de la Sultana - "garden of the sultana"), which has a second name - "cypress yard". Jardín da la Sultana is considered the best-preserved garden in Muslim Spain. In addition, the Generalife Garden is the oldest surviving Moorish garden.

Previously, the Generalife Palace was connected to the Alhambra by a covered bridge over the ravine that now separates them.

The gardens are home to boxwood, rose bushes, carnations and yellow foliage, as well as shrubs: from willows to cypresses. The garden is a masterpiece of horticultural art, recreating the images of paradise from the Qur'an. The modern part of the garden was laid out in 1931 by Francisco Prieto Moreno and completed in 1951. The paths are paved in the traditional Granada style with a mosaic of pebbles: the white ones were collected in the Darro River and the black ones in the Genil River.

Comments: