Top
header Notes Collection

50 000 000 000 Dollars 2008, Zimbabwe

in Krause book Number: 63
Years of issue: 15.05.2008 (redemption date 31.12.2008)
Edition:
Signatures: Governor: Dr. G. Gono
Serie: 2008 Special AGRO - Cheques Issue
Specimen of: 15.05.2008
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 147 х 74
Printer: Fidelity Printers and Refinery, Msasa Industrial area, Harare

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

50 000 000 000 Dollars 2008

Description

Watermark:

Zimbabwe Bird Zimbabwe Bird

The stone-carved Zimbabwe Bird and abbreviation RBZ.

The stone-carved Zimbabwe Bird. It is the national emblem of Zimbabwe, appearing on the national flags and coats of arms of both Zimbabwe and Rhodesia, as well as on banknotes and coins (first on Rhodesian pound and then Rhodesian dollar). It probably represents the Bateleur eagle or the African Fish Eagle.

The original carved birds are from the ruined city of Great Zimbabwe, which was built by ancestors of the Shona, starting in the 11th century and continuing for over 300 years. The ruins, after which modern Zimbabwe was named, cover some 1,800 acres (7.3 km²) and are the largest ancient stone construction in Zimbabwe. Among its notable elements are the soapstone bird sculptures, about 16 inches tall and standing on columns more than a yard tall, were installed on walls and monoliths of the ancient city of Great Zimbabwe. They are believed to have been a sign of the royal presence.

After the ruins of Great Zimbabwe were discovered by European colonists in the late nineteenth century, they took five of the carved birds to the Cape Colony and sold them to its leader Cecil Rhodes. A German missionary came to own the pedestal of one bird, which he sold to the Ethnological Museum in Berlin in 1907. At the independence of Zimbabwe in 1981, the South African government returned four of the statues to the country; the fifth is held at Groote Schuur, Rhodes' former home in Cape Town. In 2003, the German museum returned the portion of bird's pedestal to Zimbabwe.

Avers:

50 000 000 000 Dollars 2008

balancing rocks

On the left side of the banknote - the logo of the Bank of Zimbabwe - balancing rocks.

The Balancing Rocks are geomorphological features of igneous rocks found in many parts of Zimbabwe, and are particularly noteworthy in Matopos National Park and near the township of Epworth to the southeast of Harare. The formations are of natural occurrence in a perfectly balanced state without other support. Their popularity grew when the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe featured the formations on the last series of Zimbabwean banknotes.

The Balancing Rocks have been used as a metaphorical theme to explain the importance of development coupled with preserving the fragile environment of Zimbabwe as similar to that of the Balancing Rocks found in Epworth, Matopos and in other areas.

Giraffa camelopardalis giraffe

On the reverse and obverse of the banknote there are 2 giraffes. This is South African giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis giraffe), standing near small tree.

Found in northern South Africa, southern Botswana, southern Zimbabwe, and south-western Mozambique. It has dark, somewhat rounded patches "with some fine projections" on a tawny background color. The spots extend down the legs and get smaller. The median lump of males is less developed. A maximum of 12,000 are estimated to remain in the wild, and around 45 are kept in zoos.

Revers:

50 000 000 000 Dollars 2008

GMB

Grain Marketing Board (GMB) silos in Murewa.

Murewa is a township (and district) in Zimbabwe, 75 kilometers northeast from the capital of Harare, at the road to Tete (Mozambique). It is situated almost 1400 m. above sea level. In 2002, the number of inhabitants was 8398. Public and private buildings are simple. "Growthpoint" and village have the character of a township. Nearby there are the Murewa Caves having three tunnels, some as short as 9 km., and other sites with rock paintings of the San. These paintings are at least 1000 years old.

The district of Murewa stretches from Mt. Hanwa (10 km. north of Macheke) in the south up to Uzumba in the north, Nyadire Rive NE and Nyaguvi SE of Murewa. It is dominated by traditional African agriculture of the Shona people. Only the southern quarter of the area is covered with commercial farms, founded by European settlers. In that area there are three hilltop fortresses belonging to the Murewa (Moyo) people, built in the later phase of ancient Monomotapa State under the Chieftainship family on Murewa, after 1500 AD.

Comments: