header Notes Collection

100 Rubles 1961, Union of Soviet Socialist Republics

in Krause book Number: 236
Years of issue: 01.01.1961
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 1961 Issue
Specimen of: 01.01.1961
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 140 х 70
Printer: Гознак, Московская печатная фабрика, филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Москва

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Rubles 1961




A portrait of V.I. Lenin.


100 Rubles 1961

Banknotes of this type were put into circulation during the monetary reform on January 1, 1961 and were the official means of payment until January 23, 1991 (V.S.Pavlov's reform). Produced until 1990, all were dated "1961". The design of the banknote is decorated in brown, beige, light blue, light pink, light green and red.

The front side of the banknote has a white field on the right, on which the number "100" is shown at the bottom in a guilloche rosette. The rest of the space is filled with a background that smoothly changes to the center from beige to light blue. On the right, the background ends in a wavy line. The upper part of the picture has a frame with thin patterns in the form of the letter "P", horizontal wavy lines smoothly diverge from it downward. In the upper left corner in an oval frame is a portrait of V.I. Lenin in profile, facing right. Opposite in the middle there is a large patterned element resembling a shield, in which the coat of arms of the USSR of the 1956 model is depicted in a circle with 15 straps of ribbon. Below is a large number "100", on top of which the denomination is indicated in italics - "One hundred rubles" (the word "One hundred" is raised and goes from above to the letter "p"). Above the coat of arms there is an inscription - "Ticket of the State Bank", under it in the middle - "USSR". In the lower part on the right there is a socket with the number "100", on the left there are two empty sockets located one above the other. At the bottom in the middle, in the frame, a two-line inscription in small print - "BANK BILLS ARE PROVIDED WITH GOLD, PRECIOUS METALS AND OTHER ASSETS OF THE STATE BANK". ( .rus)

Vladimir Ilyich Lenin (Владимир Ильич Ленин, born Vladimir Ilyich Ulyanov, 22 April [O.S. 10 April] 1870 - 21 January 1924) was a Russian communist revolutionary, politician and political theorist. He served as the leader of the Russian Soviet Federative Socialist Republic from 1917, and then concurrently as Premier of the Soviet Union from 1922, until his death. Under his administration, the Russian Empire was dissolved and replaced by the Soviet Union, a one-party socialist state; industry and businesses were nationalized, with widespread societal reform implemented. Politically a Marxist, his theoretical contributions to Marxist thought are known as Leninism, which coupled with Marxian economic theory have collectively come to be known as Marxism-Leninism.

Soviet coat of arms.


The State Emblem of the Soviet Union (Государственный герб Советского Союза, Gosudarstvenny gerb Sovetskogo Soyuza) was adopted in 1923 and was used until the dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991. Although it technically is an emblem rather than a coat of arms, since it does not follow heraldic rules, in Russian it is called герб (gerb), the word used for a traditional coat of arms.

The state emblem shows the traditional Soviet emblems of the Hammer and Sickle and the Red Star over a globe, and two wreaths of covered by the ("Workers of the world, unite!") in the official languages of the Soviet Republics, in the reverse order they were mentioned in the Soviet Constitution.

Fourth version (1956-1991).

In 1956, the Karelo-Finnish SSR was transformed into the Karelo-Finnish ASSR, and soon this was reflected on the USSR state emblem. By a decision of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on September 12, 1956, the ribbon bearing the USSR State Motto in Finnish was removed.

A minor change in the Belarusian inscription was a decision of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR on April 1, 1958.

Inscription "Banknote of the State Bank of the USSR".


100 Rubles 1961

The reverse side has a white field on the left with the number "100" in the colored outlet at the bottom, the rest of the space is filled with a background that changes to the center from beige to light blue. The background is also decorated with colored patterns. On the left there is an engraving depicting the Vodovzvodnaya head of the Moscow Kremlin, the upper part of the engraving is framed with patterned lines. The two upper corners of the colored part of the bill have rosettes with the numbers "100", in the middle between them the letters "USSR", a little lower there is another rosette with the number "100", but of a larger size. At the bottom right, between the two horizontal lines, the denomination is indicated - "One hundred rubles", below it is the indication of the denomination in 14 languages ​​of the other Union republics (Ukrainian, Belarusian, Uzbek, Kazakh, Georgian, Azerbaijani, Lithuanian, Moldavian, Latvian, Kyrgyz, Tajik, Armenian, Turkmen and Estonian). Even lower, in the frame between the two circular patterns, there is an inscription in two lines - "COUNTERFEITING BILLS OF THE STATE BANK OF THE USSR IS PROSECUTED BY LAW". To the left is the date "1961". Above in the middle and at the bottom left in red paint the series and number of the banknote.

Vodovzvodnaya Tower 800 years moscow

View on Vodovzvodnaya Tower, on background - on The Annunciation Tower, The Grand Kremlin Palace, The Cathedral of the Archangel and The Ivan the Great Bell Tower.

Vodovzvodnaya Tower (Sviblova, formerly Svirlova) is the southwestern corner tower of the Moscow Kremlin. It is located at the corner of the Kremlin Embankment and the Aleksandrovsky Garden on the banks of the Moskva River. Built in 1488 by the Italian architect Antonio Gilardi.

The name Sviblova comes from the surname of the boyar clan Sviblo, whose courtyard adjoined the tower from the side of the Kremlin. It received its modern name in 1633 after the installation of a lifting machine by Christopher Galovey, which supplied water from the Moskva River to the Kremlin. It was the first pressurized water pipeline in Moscow, with the help of which water from the tower was distributed through a system of lead pipes through the inner palaces and gardens.

In 1805, due to extreme dilapidation, the tower was dismantled and, according to archival drawings, rebuilt on the old foundation. In 1812, it was blown up by Napoleon's soldiers while retreating from Moscow. Seven years later, under the leadership of Osip Bove, the building was restored, but some changes were made to the external appearance.

Since 1937, the top of the tower has been decorated with a ruby ​​star with a beam span of three meters.

Благовещенская башня

The Annunciation Tower is the tower of the southern wall of the Moscow Kremlin, located between the Vodovzvodnaya and Taynitskaya towers. The name of the building is associated with the icon of the Annunciation of the Most Holy Theotokos, which, according to legend, miraculously appeared on the northern wall of the tower during the reign of Ivan the Terrible.

Большой кремлёвский дворец

The Grand Kremlin Palace (Большой Кремлёвский дворец; Bolshoy Kremlyovskiy Dvorets), also translated Great Kremlin Palace,[1] was built from 1837 to 1849 in Moscow, Russia on the site of the estate of the Grand Princes, which had been established in the 14th century on Borovitsky Hill. Designed by a team of architects under the management of Konstantin Thon, it was intended to emphasise the greatness of Russian autocracy. Konstantin Thon was also the architect of the Kremlin Armoury and the Cathedral of Christ the Savior.

The Grand Kremlin Palace was formerly the tsar's Moscow residence. Its construction involved the demolition of the previous Baroque palace on the site, designed by Rastrelli, and the Church of St. John the Baptist, constructed to a design by Aloisio the New in place of the first church ever built in Moscow.

Thon's palace is 124 meters long, 47 meters high, and has a total area of about 25,000 square meters. It includes the earlier Terem Palace, nine churches from the XIV, XVI, and XVII centuries, the Holy Vestibule, and over 700 rooms. The buildings of the Palace form a rectangle with an inner courtyard. The building appears to be three stories, but is actually two. The upper floor has two sets of windows. The west building of the Palace held state reception halls and the imperial family's private chambers.

Its five reception halls (Georgievsky, Vladimirsky, Aleksandrovsky, Andreyevsky, and Ekaterininsky) are named for orders of the Russian Empire: the Orders of St. George, Vladimir, Alexander, Andrew, and Catherine. Georgievsky Hall is used today for state and diplomatic receptions and official ceremonies. International treaties are signed at the Vladimirsky Hall. It also leads to the Palace of Facets, Tsarina's Golden Chamber, Terem Palace, the Winter Palace, and the Palace of Congresses. Aleksandrovsky Hall and Andreyevsky Hall were combined in Soviet times to be used for meetings and conferences of the Supreme Soviet of the USSR; they were lavishly restored in accordance with Thon's designs in the 1990s. Currently it is the official residence of the President of the Russian Federation, though it is rarely used for this purpose.

Архангельский собор

On background, to the right - The Cathedral of the Archangel (Russian: Архангельский собор, or Arkhangelsky sobor) is a Russian Orthodox church dedicated to the Archangel Michael. It is located in Cathedral Square of the Moscow Kremlin in Russia between the Great Kremlin Palace and the Ivan the Great Bell Tower. It was the main necropolis of the Tsars of Russia until the relocation of the capital to St. Petersburg. It was constructed between 1505 and 1508 under the supervision of an Italian architect Aloisio the New on the spot of an older cathedral, built in 1333. Now it also serves as a part of Moscow Kremlin Museums.

Колокольня Ивана Великого

On background, to the left - The Ivan the Great Bell Tower (Russian: Колокольня Ивана Великого, Kolokol'nya Ivana Velikogo) is a church tower inside the Moscow Kremlin complex. With a total height of 81 metres (266 ft), it is the tallest tower and structure of Kremlin. It was built in 1508 on Cathedral Square for the three Russian Orthodox cathedrals, namely the Assumption (closest to the tower), the Archangel and the Annunciation, which do not have their own belfries. It serves as a part of Moscow Kremlin Museums.


Obverse artist: Yu.A. Lukyanov, Author of the portrait Lenin: N.A. Sokolov, Engraver of portrait: N.A. Mikheev.

Reverse artist: I.I. Dubasov.