header Notes Collection

100 Korun 2001, Slovakia

in Krause book Number: 25
Years of issue: 10.10.2001
Signatures: Guvernér: Marián Jusko (30 July 1999 - 31 December 2004), Viceguvernér: Ján Mathes
Serie: 1993 Issue
Specimen of: 01.01.1993
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 140 x 71
Printer: De La Rue, Zeitun

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Korun 2001




Madonna, on the Slovak hundred crowns, was in the altar of the Basilica of St. Jacob in Levoča (at the back of the basilica). Read the description of the obverse!.


100 Korun 2001


This Madonna, whose face was on a Slovak hundred crowns, was in the altar of the Nativity of the Lord (Oltár Narodenia Pána) in the chapel of the same name in the back of the basilica. The altar is one of the most important works of Master Paul. However, the late Gothic sculpture made its author famous only in 1697 after finding a group of six statues bricked up in the walls of Levoča town hall. The statue of Mary is considered to be the most beautiful masterpiece of the world-famous carver from Levoča. She has a white shawl around her neck and has the shape of a human ear under her hands. It is one of the characteristic features of this world-famous artist from Levoča.

The altar represents the scene of the birth of Christ. Paul is the author of the main characters (Virgin Mary, Joseph, and possibly shepherds).

The altar, in the Baroque style, made in 1752, with a late Gothic group of the beginning of the XVI century (created by the master Pavel), was commissioned by Archbishop of Esztergom Mikuláš Čáki (according to which the altar is also known as the Czaky altar); the statue of Jesus was later completed. The architecture with spiral columns carries a tympanum with angel musicians.


"On each of his sculptures, the dress is shaped into a shape that resembles a human ear. It is easiest to see on this statue of Madonna. But you should also look for other signs - an oval face, a high forehead, slanted almond-shaped eyes, beautiful wavy hair, slender long fingers," says the tour guide of the basilica Lucia Plačková. ( .slv)

Nativity altar Nativity altar

Master Paul of Levoča (Hungarian: Lőcsei Pál mester, Slovak: Majster Pavol z Levoče) was a medieval carver and sculptor of the XV and XV century, active mostly in the town of Levoča (Hungarian: Lőcse) in the Kingdom of Hungary (today in Slovakia).

Most documents about him vanished at the Lőcse fire in 1550. So, neither his surname, nor dates or places of birth and death are known. It is assumed that he was born between 1470 and 1480. He must have died between 1537 (when he is still mentioned on record) and 1542 (when his widow is mentioned).

He probably started working in Kraków (from the connections of this city with Lőcse at that time and from similarity of styles he could be a student of Veit Stoss), Sabinov (Hungarian: Kisszeben), Banská Bystrica (Hungarian: Besztercebánya) until he settled in Lőcse around 1500 and married a daughter of an influential citizen. In 1506 he established a carving workshop. A list of some of his works includes an altar of St. Barbara in Banská Bystrica from 1509, an altar of St. George in Spišská Sobota (Hungarian: Szepesszombat; today a part of Poprad) from 1516, and his most famous work, completed in 1517, an altar in the Basilica of St. James in Lőcse. This late Gothic altar is the highest in Europe, with 18.62 meters of height. It is carved in wood and decorated with gold. The Madonna from this altar was also depicted in the former issue of 100 SKK banknotes (before Slovakia's adoption of the Euro on 1 January 2009).

In 1527 he became a member of the Lőcse town council, but he became famous only after his death. Even art historians started to mention his name only in the 1870s in discussions about the creator of the altar in Lőcse.

Denominations in numerals are on top and in lower right corner. In words centered, vertically.


100 Korun 2001

On the banknote is a collage of three images:

1) The old town hall of Levoča.

2) Basilica of St. Jacob (see description of obverse).

3) Limestone mask.

Now in order:

Town hall Town hall

On left side is the Old Town Hall of Levoča is located in the central part of the elongated Levoca market, between the church of St. James (from the northeast) and the Evangelical church (from the southwest). It is located on its longer axis parallel to the long axis of the market.

Originally gothic, brick, built at the end of the 15th century. After a great fire of 1550, in which the entire municipal archives burned down, rebuilt in the Renaissance style in 1551-1559. In 1615, expanded, with the addition of late-Renaissance arcades on the ground floor and first floor. On the southern facade, in the right corner, remains of the original polychrome.

Town hall

Later, performances of folk virtues appeared on the facade between the windows: restraint, foresight, bravery, patience and justice. On the north-east side, the town hall is currently connected to the Renaissance tower, which was built in 1656-1661 and served as a city belfry. The current entrance to the museum and the mansard roof were created as a result of the romantic reconstruction of the town hall in 1893-1895.

Town hall

Noteworthy is the vaulted hall and the city council meeting room, covered with a beamed ceiling. On the door there is a picture of the Levock White Lady (Júlia Korponayová - Julianna Géczy), who was originally in one of the niches of the defensive walls.

Julianna Géczy (1680-1714) was a Hungarian noblewoman. She became famous for her defense of Lőcse (today Levoča, Slovakia) against the Habsburg forces in 1709-10, during the rebellion of Francis II Rákóczi, and known as the "White lady of Lőcse". She was executed in 1714. ( .rus)

Bazilika svateho Jakuba Bazilika svateho Jakuba

Centered is The Basilica of St. James (Slovak: Bazilika svätého Jakuba). It is a Gothic church in Levoča, Prešovský kraj, Slovakia. Building began in the XIV century. It is a Catholic parish church, dedicated to James the Apostle.

The interior features several Gothic altars, including as the main altar the world's tallest wooden altar at 18.62 meters (61.1 ft.) by the workshop of Master Paul of Levoča, completed in 1517. The church, the second largest in Slovakia, also houses well-preserved furniture and art work. The steeple dates from the XIX century. The church was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Levoča, Spiš Castle and the associated cultural monuments in 2009. It is also a National Monument. In 2015, Pope Francis declared the church a Basilica minor.

Building of the Gothic church began in the centre of Levoča, Kingdom of Hungary in the XIV century. The church dominates the main square of the historic town, together with a Renaissance town hall. It is a Catholic parish church, dedicated to James the Apostle. The interior features several Gothic altars, including as the main altar the world's tallest wooden altar at 18.62 meters (61.1 ft.).

It was created by the workshop of Master Paul of Levoča and completed in 1517. The church, the second largest in Slovakia, also houses precious furniture and art work, such as works of the jeweler János Szillassy. During the Reformation, the church was Protestant from 1544. An organ was built from 1622.

The church tower was also used as a watchtower by the town, to give the alert to any incipient fires. The medieval tower was itself damaged by lightning in the early nineteenth century, and was replaced by a neo-Gothic tower (probably the first in this style in what is now Slovakia) designed by Fridrich Muck and constructed in 1852–1870, which is 70 meters high. Of the original tower bells, one was relocated in the bell tower of the Town Hall; the others were melted down during World War I and were replaced in 1925. Since 2016 the tower, which gives a view across the town's historical centre, has been opened to visitors.

Thanks to its treasures, the church was added to the UNESCO World Heritage Site Levoča, Spiš Castle and the associated cultural monuments in 2009. It is also a National Monument. On 30 November 2015, Pope Francis declared the church a Basilica minor.

Bazilika svateho Jakuba


The church has 18 altars. The principal altars are as follows:

High Altar (Altar of St. James the Apostle). Created by Master Paul 1507–1517. The altar was constructed in stages. The retable was completed in 1508. Additional sculpture and painting may have been completed by 1515. The last phases, including gilding, were carried out by 1517.

Many of the paintings of the Passion on the altar's polyptych are based on the engravings by Lucas Cranach of the Passion cycle, published in 1509. The statues of the Twelve Apostles on the altar's ciborium date from about 1390, and may have been part of an earlier altar in the church.

Sculptures of the Altar of the Nativity (Master Paul) – now included in the baroque Czaky altar. The sculptures were hidden for 200 years in the Town Hall during the period of religious disturbances.

Altar of the Four Saint Johns (1520, Master Paul).

Altar of St. Anne (Altar of Metercia), (1516, Master Paul).

Altar of Saints Peter and Paul (1495, pre-dates Master Paul).

Altar of Bishop St. Nicholas (1507). The figures of St. Leonard and St. John are by Master Paul, but the figure of St. Nicholas dates from 1360-1370.

Altar of St. Catherine of Alexandria (c. 1460)

Altar of St. Michael Archangel (c. 1620).

Altar of The Good Shepherd (c. 1700).

Altar of Virgin Mary of the Snows (Altar of the Thirteen Towns).

Altar Vir dolorum, (Altar of King Matthias Corvinus) (1476-1490).

Altar of St. Elisabeth the Widow, a panel painting of 1492.

The church also has a statue of St. George and the Dragon from the workshop of Master Paul.

Detail antropomorfneho svornika klenby v sakristicii

On the top is limestone masque, detail of anthropomorphic arch bolt in the sacristy of the minarite monastery, in Levoča.


Lower, right is the coat of arms of Slovakia.

The coat of arms of Slovakia consists of a red (gules) shield, in early Gothic style, charged with a silver (argent) double cross standing on the middle peak of a dark blue mountain consisting of three peaks. Extremities of the cross are amplified, and its ends are concaved. The double cross is a symbol of its Christian faith and the hills represent three symbolic mountain ranges: Tatra, Fatra and Mátra (the last one is in northern Hungary).

One of the modern interpretations of the double cross is that it represents Slovakia as an heir and guardian of Christian tradition, brought to the region by St. Cyril and St. Methodius, two missionaries from the Byzantine Empire.

The main design is overprinted by part of a coral necklace dating from the IX century with a crescent-shaped bronze locket, which was found by archaelogists at Nitra-Lupky.

Denominations in numerals are on top and in lower left corner.


Engraver: Vaclav Fajt.

Designer: Academic artist Jozef Bubák.

Many thanks for the information provided to Krchnáková Lucia, curator of the numismatic collection of the Museum of the Bank of Slovakia and Rudolf Kukura from Slovakia.