header Notes Collection
Top

1000 Escudos 1956, Angola

in Krause book Number: 91
Years of issue: 15.08.1956
Edition:
Signatures: O Vice Governador: Vasco Lopes Alves, O Governador: Artur de Melo Quintela Saldanha, O Vice Governador: Francisco Luís da Silva Duarte
Serie: 1956 Issue
Specimen of: 1956
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 158 х 79
Printer: Thomas de la Rue and coy, LTD, Londres

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1000 Escudos 1956

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Angolan girl.

Avers:

1000 Escudos 1956

Brito Capello

The engraving on banknote is made after this photo of Hermenegildo de Brito Capelo from the issue "Ilustração Portuguesa" 2.ª serie, n. 587, 21 May 1917.

Hermenegildo Carlos de Brito Capello (4 February 1841 - 4 May 1917) was an officer in the Portuguese Navy and a Portuguese explorer, helping to chart territory between Angola and Mozambique in southern Central Africa that was unknown to Europeans in the 1870s and 1880s. Alongside Roberto Ivens, he is famous for being the first European to cross Central Africa from coast to coast between Angola and Mozambique.

Hermenegildo Capelo later rose to become aide-de-camp to King Luis I of Portugal and afterwards to King Carlos I and, later still, vice-admiral. His military career ended in 1910 when King Manuel II of Portugal was exiled.

In 1860 he first went on an African expedition and spent in Africa, with interruptions, for the next 25 years. Participated in 1879 in a large Portuguese expedition to Africa, along with Serpa Pinto and Ivens. From Durban, the Capella (then the captain of the corvette) and Lieutenant Ivens passed West and Central Africa to the lands of Yakka, explored the Kwango basin and opened its tributaries: the Gamba, Quillo and Kugo, after which they returned to Luanda.

In 1884, the Chapel and Ivens passed through the entire African continent from Mossamedes (March 1884) to Quelimane (June 1885), having traveled 8,000 km, they explored the country between r. Cunene and Upper Zambezi, the watershed between the Zambezi and Congo and the region of the sources of Lualaba and Luapula.

The descriptions of these journeys are published under the headings: "De Benguela as terras de Jacca de 1877 à 1880" and "De Angola a contra costa" (1886). Capella was later Portuguese Commissioner in Zanzibar and Governor in Luanda.

In the early 1900s, the Capella returned to Portugal. In 1906 he was awarded the rank of vice admiral. He was a close adviser to the last Portuguese king, Manuel II, and retired after the overthrow of the monarchy in 1910.

Mabubas Dam Mabubas Dam Mabubas Dam

Centered is The Mabubas hydroelectric dam on Dande river, Angola.

It is located on the outskirts of the city of Caxito, in the Bengo province. It was built in the very beginning of the 1950s with a capacity of 17 megawatts, which was increased, after modernization and major repairs, in 2012, to 26.8 megawatts.

The dam, which was repaired and expanded by the construction company GHCB-Angola, a subsidiary of the Chinese group "Guangxi Hydroelectric Construction Bureau" (GHCB), has a 60 kilovolt (Kv) transmission line connected to Luanda province.

The cost of work amounted to 21.7 million US dollars and took two years.

The dam will generate enough electricity to cover the needs of the city of Caksito and the municipal district of Dembos, in the province of Bengo.

The HPP was destroyed twice during the civil war in Angola - for the first time in the 1980s, and the second time - in 1992. (macua.blogs.com .port)

coat

At the top is old coat of arms, used between 1951 - 1975.

Emblem colony Angola was approved in 1935. It was made in the same style all Portuguese overseas possessions:

The shield is divided into three parts forked - the left side of the three-part shield with five azure shields, each of which had five white Besant (quina, the oldest coat of arms of Portugal) symbolized the metropolis.

Average lower depicting green waves on a silver field - sign overseas possessions of Portugal.

And on the left side was a picture of the actual coat of arms of the colony - in this case - the golden elephant on a zebra on a purple field. Shield superimposed on a golden armillary sphere topped tower crown, decorated with heraldic shields with a red cross of the Order of Christ and small armillary sphere. At the bottom depicted the tape with the title of ownership.

After World War II, Portugal has not followed the example of other countries in Europe and did not grant independence to their colonies. They were declared to be "overseas territories", respectively, in the inscription on the tape the word "colony" was replaced by "province".

congolese padrao

Left of center, at the bottom, is The Congolese PADRÃO of 1482.

For the purpose of the exploration and annexation of the African Westcoast by the Portuguese in the XV century, Dom João II gave order to the navigator Diogo Cão to erect a padrão or boundary-post at certain places. This boundary-post is a reconstruction made after fragments preserved by the Sociedade de Geografia de Lisboa, of the padrão erected on the southern bank of the river-mouth of the Zaire, called Punto Padrão and today the northwesternmost point of Angola. The inscription in Portuguese on the monument reads:

"IN THE YEAR 1681 AFTER THE CREATION OF THE WORLD, THE YEAR 1482 AFTER THE BIRTH OF OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST, THE EXALTED, ILLUSTRIOUS AND POWERFUL KING DOM JOÃO OF PORTUGAL GAVE ORDER TO DIOGO CÃO, KNIGHT OF HIS HOUSE, TO DISCOVER THIS LAND AND TO ERECT THESE MEMORIAL PILES".

crowned coat of arms of King João II

On the die is the crowned coat of arms of King João II, borne until 1485.

It is: Argent, a cross of five escutcheons Azure, each charged with five roundles Argent in saltire, placed on the cross of the Order of Aviso andd surrounded by a bordure Gules, charged with seven castles Or. The crown is a royal crown of five fleurons and four pearls. The die is surmounted by the latin cross patonce which is the symbol of the religious branch of the Order of Christ.

Denominations in numerals are in top corners.

Revers:

1000 Escudos 1956

Hippotragus niger variani Hippotragus niger variani

A herd of giant sable antelopes (Angola endemic subspecies Hippotragus niger variani).

The giant sable antelope, (Hippotragus niger variani), also known in Portuguese as the "palanca negra gigante", is a large, rare subspecies of sable antelope native and endemic to the region between the Cuango and Luando Rivers in Angola.

There was a great degree of uncertainty regarding the number of animals that survived during the Angolan Civil War. In January 2004, a group from the Centro de Estudos e Investigação Científica of the Catholic University of Angola, led by Dr. Pedro vaz Pinto, was able to obtain photographic evidence of one of the remaining herds from a series of trap cameras installed in the Cangandala National Park, south of Malanje.

The giant sable antelope is the national symbol of Angola, and is held in a great regard by its people. This was perhaps one of the reasons the animals survived the long civil war. In African mythology, just like other antelopes, they symbolize vivacity, velocity, beauty and visual sharpness.

The giant sable antelope is evaluated as critically endangered on the IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.

Stuffed specimen in the American Museum of Natural History, New York City

Both sexes have horns, which can reach 1.5 meters in length. Males and females are very similar in appearance until they reach three years of age, when the males become darker and develop majestic horns. The male antelope weighs an average of 238 kg. (525 lb.) with a height of 116-142 cm. (46-56 in.). Females weigh 220 kg. and are slightly shorter than males. The horns are massive and more curved in males, reaching lengths of 81-165 cm. (32-65 in.), while females' horns are only 61-102 cm. (24-40 in.) in length. Coloration in bulls is black, while females and young are chestnut, except in southern populations, where females turn brown-black. Most sable antelopes have white "eyebrows", their rostra are sectioned into cheek stripes, and their bellies and rump patches are white. Young under two months old typically are light brown and have slight markings.

Denominations in numerals are in top corners. At the bottom in words.

Comments:

In 1482 came the discovery of the modern coast of Angola by Portuguese navigator Diogo Kahn's expedition. Until the middle of the XIX century the main occupation of the Portuguese in Angola was a slave trade. By rough estimates, for three years, the country exported (mainly to Brazil), about 5 million people. Angola, as a whole, had more to do with Brazil and after the establishment of the Brazilian Empire Angolan settlers have repeatedly expressed the desire to join it.

In 1885 - 1894 years Portugal , Belgium, Germany and England enter into agreements that have defined the current borders of Angola.

In the 60th, respectively, in terms of decolonization of most countries on the continent and the growing influence of the national liberation movements in the international arena, in the Portuguese possessions began a process of consolidation of political opponents to colonial rules. In 1961 occurs anti portugese rebellion, led by Holden Roberto ( União dos Povos de Angola, UPA leader of the group, and then Frente Nacional de Libertação de Angola, FNLA). They began the war for independence, that lasted 14 years. At the same time begins the opposition between Movimento Popular de Libertação de Angola, MPLA and Frente Nacional de Libertação de Angola, FNLA.