header Notes Collection
Top

100 Piso 2012, Philippines

in Krause book Number: 194f
Years of issue: 2012
Edition:
Signatures: Pangulo NG Pilipinas (President of the Philippines): Benigno Simeon Cojuangco Aquino III, Tagapangasiwa NG Bangko Sentral (Governor of the Central Bank): Amando Maglalang Tetangco Jr. (in office from 4 July 2005 until 3 July 2017)
Serie: BSP series
Specimen of: 2001
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 160 х 65
Printer: BSP - Security Plant Complex, Diliman, Quezon City

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Piso 2012

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Manuel Roxas.

Avers:

100 Piso 2012

Manuel Acuña Roxas

The engraving on banknote is made after this photo of Manuel Roxas.

Manuel Acuña Roxas (born Manuel Róxas y Acuña; January 1, 1892 - April 15, 1948) was the fifth President of the Philippines who served from 1946 until his death in 1948. He briefly served as the third and last President of the Commonwealth of the Philippines from May 28, 1946 to July 4, 1946, subsequently becoming the first President of the independent Third Philippine Republic after the United States ceded its sovereignty over the Philippines.

Roxas occupied more important positions in the Philippine government than any other Filipino had ever held before him. Starting in 1917 he was a member of the municipal council of Capiz. He became the youngest governor of his province and served in this capacity from 1919 to 1922.

He was elected to the Philippine House of Representatives in 1922, and for twelve consecutive years was Speaker of the House. He was member of the Constitutional Convention 1934 to 1935, Secretary of Finance, Chairman of the National Economic Council, Chairman of the National Development Company and many other government corporations and agencies, Brigadier General in the USAFFE, Recognized Guerilla leader and Military leader of the Philippine Commonwealth Army.

4 July 1946

On right side is - raising the Philippine flag and descending the American flag on July 4, 1946, when the Third Republic was proclaimed and independence from the USA. The date was chosen by the United States due to the fact that it coincided with the United States Independence Day; in the Philippines, this day was celebrated as Independence Day until 1962.

Manuel Roxas' term as the President of the Commonwealth ended on the morning of July 4, 1946, when the Third Republic of the Philippines was inaugurated and independence from the United States proclaimed. The occasion, attended by some 300,000 people, was marked by the simultaneous lowering of the Stars and Stripes and raising of the National Flag, a 21-gun salute, and the pealing of church bells. Roxas then swore the Oath of Office as the first President of the new Republic.

The inaugural ceremonies took place at Luneta Park in the City of Manila. On the Grandstand alone were around 3,000 dignitaries and guests, consisting of President Roxas, Vice-President Quirino, their respective parties and the Cabinet; the last High Commissioner to the Philippines and first Ambassador to the Philippines Paul McNutt; General Douglas MacArthur (coming from Tokyo); United States Postmaster General Robert E. Hannegan; a delegation from the United States Congress led by Maryland Senator Millard Tydings (author of the Tydings–McDuffie Act) and Missouri Representative C. Jasper Bell (author of the Bell Trade Act); and former Civil Governor-General Francis Burton Harrison.

Proclaiming the Third republic, The Treaty of Manila of 1946, formally the Treaty of General Relations and Protocol, is a treaty of general relations signed on 4 July 1946 in Manila, the capital city of the Philippines. It relinquished U.S. sovereignty over the Philippines and recognized the independence of the Republic of the Philippines. The treaty was signed by High Commissioner Paul V. McNutt as a representative of the United States and President Manuel Roxas representing the Philippines.

It was signed by President Truman on 14 August 1946б after the U.S. Senate gave its advice and consent on 31 July 1946 by ratification of the treaty. It was ratified by the Philippines on 30 September 1946. The treaty entered into force on 22 October 1946, when ratifications were exchanged. The treaty was accompanied by a "provisional agreement concerning friendly relations and diplomatic and consular representation" (60 Stat. 1800, TIAS 1539, 6 UNTS 335) until the treaty was ratified.

The seal of National Bank, type 5 with a date 1993, is on the right side.

Denominations in numerals are in three corners. In words - lower right.

Revers:

100 Piso 2012

Aduana Aduana

On top of banknote is the facade of the old building of the Bank of the Philippines (originally the Customs House or Aduana) after the drawing of its architect, Thomas Cortes.

The Aduana Building, also known as the Intendencia, was a Spanish colonial structure in Manila, Philippines that housed several government offices through the years. It is located in front of the BPI Intramuros (formerly the site of the old Santo Domingo Church) at Plaza España, Soriano (Aduana) Ave. corner Muralla St. in Intramuros.

This two-storey governmental structure follows a Neo-Classical tradition, with an emphasized horizontality and symmetrical form, particularly on the design of its façade. The central bay had three arched entrances and two principal staircases built around the two atriums.]The rectangular fenestration on the upper most story were decorated with rustication. The window-like portals opening out to small balconies were framed with pilasters topped with ornate capitals and were adorned with elaborate geometrical grillework. Similar ornate grillework also decorated the main entryways in the building.

The Aduana, or Custom House, was built in Intramuros to attract merchants to remain within its walls rather than outside of it. Records show that in 1822, a Spanish engineer Tomás Cortes took charge of the project and began its construction in 1823. Despite objections due to insufficient space for warehousing and its distance from the port, the construction continued until its completion in 1829. However, in 1863 the Aduana suffered damages from an earthquake, which led to its demolition in 1872. Reconstruction of the building was later awarded to Luis Perez Yap-Sionjue, which began in 1874 and was completed in 1876. The rebuilding of the structure was still based from the original design of Cortes but it has now housed the Custom Offices, the Civil Administration Office (Intendencia General de Hacienda), the Treasury, and the Mint House (Casa de Moneda). When the Customs transferred, the offices of the Mint House and Treasury remained in the building and was renamed as Intendencia.

Aduana

During World War II, the building once again suffered damages; first by the Japanese bombings in 1941 and later on by the American and Filipino military artillery during the Battle of Manila of 1945. It was repaired after the war and functioned as the Offices of the Central Bank of the Philippines, the National Treasury and eventually the Commission on Elections. Its eventual abandonment was in 1979 when the building was ravaged by fire.

In 1997, the National Archives acquired the building to serve as their future office. Restoration efforts have already commenced as to date.

Bank building

Main image on banknote - Modern complex of buildings of the Central Bank of the Philippines.

The BSP Main Complex in Manila houses the offices of the Governor, the Monetary Board and the different operating departments/ offices. The Complex has several buildings, namely: 5-Storey building, Multi-storey building, the EDPC building and the BSP Money Museum, which showcases the Bank's collection of currencies.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. In words - lower, left.

Comments: