Top
header Notes Collection

200 Rubles 2017, Russia

in Krause book Number: 270
Years of issue: 12.10.2017
Edition:
Signatures: no signature
Serie: 2017 Issue
Specimen of: 2017
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 х 65
Printer: Goznak, Пермская печатная фабрика- филиал ФГУП "Гознак", Пермь

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

200 Rubles 2017

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The monument to the scuttled ships in Sevastopol Bay, the waves and denomination 200 are on right side, an inscription "Россия" ("Russia") is on left side.

Avers:

200 Rubles 2017

monument

On foreground is the monument to the scuttled ships in Sevastopol Bay, stormy waves and seagulls.

It is the monument in Sevastopol, the emblem of the city. Installed on an artificial island in increments of roughly processed granite blocks, 10 meters from the beach at Primorskiy Boulevard.

The monument is a column with Corinthian capitals, topped with a bronze double-headed eagle with open wings, holding in its beak a laurel wreath. The authors of the monument - Estonian sculptor A.G. Adamson, architect B. A. Feldman and military engineer O-F.I. Enberg. The total height of the monument - 16,66 meters. On the monument, on the wall of the embankment, reinforced anchor with submerged ships.

The monument was established in 1905 to the fiftieth anniversary of the first defense of Sevastopol, which had been flooded with Russian sailing ship, "to prevent entry of enemy ships to raid, and thus - save Sevastopol" (P. Nakhimov). Flooded across the fairway first seven obsolete ships and in February 1855 when the South was left the party in the bay flooded and the rest of the fleet. Fire shore batteries and flooded boats did Sevastopol bay inaccessible to the Anglo-French fleet. At the memorial plate mounted in the monument, says: "In memory of the ships, submerged in the 1854-1855 year for the barrier entrance to the raid". (wikimapia.org).

grafskaja pristan grafskaja pristan

On right and left are the Propylaeum of Grafskaya Wharf (Count's Wharf) in Sevastopol.

It is a monument of history and architecture in Sevastopol, a pier for boats, which is separated from the Nakhimov Square by a wide and solemn staircase. It is located on the western shore of South Bay. This is a kind of emblem of Sevastopol and, in fact, was one of the first buildings in the city.

From the Grafskaya Wharf there is a wonderful view of the Sevastopol Bay. Opposite the pier is the Pavlovsk cape. On the left, beyond the North Bay, lies the North side. On the north side of the bay you can see Konstantinovsky (at the entrance to the bay) and Mikhailovsky forts.

The marina owes its name to Count M. I. Voinovich, who in 1786-1790 commanded a squadron of the Black Sea Fleet and used to go ashore precisely at this pier.

The official names did not take root, although they were tried to enter. In honor of the arrival of the empress, she was named Catherine, in 1925 the Catherine's Wharf was renamed to the pier of the Third International. However, the Sevastopolites persistently continued to call the Count's quay. In 1990, she was given the historical name.

And it's not about the merits of the Count, nor about his personal qualities. Simply, this admiral-grandee was the first who used the pier, - the strength of tradition affected. The Count's Wharf is the main front berth of Sevastopol. It was built with this in mind. Four steep flights march up to the portico, two elegant pavilions in the style of Russian classicism (they are damaged, unfortunately, by later extensions, which should be demolished), terraces on stone retaining walls - all this makes the face of the pier strict, solemn.

From Nakhimov Square the staircase separates the colonnade, forming a kind of grand entrance - propylaea - two small square pavilions, without windows, with pilasters at the corners and two exedra on the facades, the pavilions are connected by two rows of fluted cords (with vertical furrows) of six in a row that support architrave (stone overlapping the span between the columns). A strict frieze (a stone strip over an architrave) is devoid of any decorations, except for alternating triglyphs (stones over the axes of columns) and smooth metopes (intervals between trigrams), and over the frieze is a simple cornice with a low parapet. Crowned by the construction of the so-called attic (higher parapet), on it the date of construction was stamped - 1846.

The image of the Countess is majestic and classically noble. The effect is achieved by simple techniques - correctly found proportions, the proportionality of both individual parts and the elements that make up the complex.

The usual wooden pier appeared here in 1783 simultaneously with the first city and port buildings. In the 30s of the XIX century. there was a need to replace the wooden steps of the pier with stone.

MP Lazarev, while in the position of the main commander of the Black Sea Fleet and ports, as well as the military governor of Nikolaev and Sevastopol, made proposals for the improvement of the Count's marina. It was supposed to build a stone terrace and a colonnade, which would protect the steps leading to the sea, and decorate the pier. The project was carried out by the military engineer D. Upton in 1837 and presented to Nicholas I, who, while approving the project, rejected the best part of the ensemble - the column gallery. The transformation of the wharf began with the construction of two pavilions along the sides of the staircase. However, MP Lazarev did not give up hope to implement the conceived project completely, repeatedly appealing to the tsar for permission. Finally in 1844 it was received, and in two years the construction of the pier was completed.

As Lazarev conceived, the wharf became the front berth of the military port. Four broad ceremonial marches of stairs straight from the sea surface rise to the white colonnade. At the edges of the staircase is enclosed by retaining walls. Two rows of elegant Doric columns (six in each row) support a strict, classically designed frieze, over which there is a cornice with a low parapet. It is adorned with a higher parapet (attic), on which the date of construction is indicated - 1846.

On both sides of the pier, according to the design of engineer-captain Rode, one-story stone guard houses have been built, preserved to this day. In the niches of the colonnade facing the sea, there are two antique statues of Carrara marble (in the beginning there were four) by the Italian sculptor Fernando Pellicio. Two lying marble lions, performed by the same master, complete the ensemble of the stairs at the descent to the sea. The height of the colonnade is 6.5 m, length - 18.2 m, width - 2.8 m.

During the first defense of Sevastopol, through the Count's Wharf, all bastions were supplied with ammunition and food. On the night of August 26, 1855, an enemy rocket set fire to the barge with gunpowder, which stood at the Count's pier, which caused an explosion and considerable destruction.

Affected during the Great Patriotic War, the wharf was renovated in the post-war years. In 1968-1969, according to the project of the architect VM Artyukhov and engineer AI Mikhailenko, they carried out major repairs of the staircase. In 1987-1988, the Colonnade of the Count's Wharf was restored.

The project and technology was developed by the Institute "Ukrproektrestavratsiya". Restoration work was carried out by specialists of the Crimean interregional special scientific and restoration production workshop of Gosstroy USSR. Restoration of pylons and cleaning of marble sculptures was performed by the brigade of the well-known in Ukraine restorer EI Bartan. The Simferopol brigade of sculptors VT Ulanova performed finishing works on the reconstruction of cornices and columns.

Grafskaya wharf of Sevastopol is known not only for its artistic merits, it is connected with the most important historical events of the city. They are told about numerous plaques of white marble mounted on the pylons of the colonnade. Here all Russian emperors have visited, beginning with Catherine II (except for Paul I).

The first reminds us that on Nov. 22, 1853, a solemn meeting of Sevastopol with Vice-Admiral P. S. Nakhimov took place at the Count's landing stage after the Sinop victory.

The inscription on the second says that from this pier on November 15, 1905, Lieutenant P. P. Schmidt departed for the Ochakov cruiser to take command of the insurgent ships of the fleet, and in the spring of 1917 the remains of the leaders of this insurrection, shot on the island Berezan.

The third tablet was installed in November 1995 on the retaining wall of the Count's pier "In memory of compatriots forced to leave their homeland in November 1920," about 150 thousand people, including about 70 thousand soldiers and officers who were forced to leave Russia after the crash of the Crimean army of Lieutenant-General PN Wrangel.

In the joyful days of liberation of Sevastopol from the Nazi invaders, the Naval Flag flew over the colonnade of the Count's landing stage. The memorial plaque informs of this event: "On May 9, 1944, a naval flag was set up by the storming squad of seamen-Black Sea men over Grafskoye port as a sign of the liberation of Sevastopol from the fascist invaders."

During the Great Patriotic War the cruiser "Chervona Ukraina" was killed not far from the Count's landing stage. The memorial plate says: "Here, while fighting the enemy, on November 12, 1941, the cruiser "Chervona Ukraine" was killed." October 31, 1941, the cruiser took an artillery position, on November 12, German aircraft attacked the cruiser, the ship got six bombs and, despite the actions of the crew, almost a day later the cruiser died.

god monument

On the left, on the Count's Wharf, you can see a statue of the ancient god.

Even at the dawn of its existence, the wharf, later called Grafskaya, received four gentle granite marches, which according to the initial initiative of Admiral Lazarev were considerably elongated and received in the northern part a terrace with a guard house and entry for horse harness (1834).

Three years later, on the initiative of Prince Menshikov, the terrace received a mirror image of the guard house, made in the form of a rustic Russian classicist pylon with frontal niches, where marble statues of ancient gods were installed (currently only two of them are preserved, from the South Bay) and pilasters corners. (jalita.com .rus)

In top left corner is the logo of Bank of Russia.

The Drawing of a temporary emblem of Russia (since September 14, 1917 - Russian republic) was developed by a group of experts, which included well-known artists and heraldry V.K. Lukomskii, S.N. Troinitskii, G.I. Narbut and Ivan Bilibin. Considering, that the new emblem of the Russian state may approve only the Constituent Assembly, they propose to use as a temporary two-headed eagle emblem of the era of Ivan III without attributes of royal power.

Figure emblem, made by Ivan Bilibin, was appointed by chairman of the Provisional Government, Prince G.E. Lvov and Foreign Minister P.N. Milyukov as a model for printing. Although, officially emblem has not been approved, it was in circulation before the acceptance of the Constitution of the RSFSR at July 10, 1918, which introduced a new state coat of arms. In the territory controlled by the "white forces", the logo was used, and later - in particular, it was present on the banknotes, which were issued by Ufa directory.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners. In words - in lower right corner.

Revers:

200 Rubles 2017

grapes

On right side are the vine grapes (black grapes) and the map of half island Crimea.

Even a century ago, the velvet season on the Black Sea coast, wore a different name - "grapes season", as the bulk of the harvest is necessary on this time period, and the Crimea is famous for its vineyards for more than one century.

Grape varieties in the Crimea, which are considered to be the most common, matures in average until the last decade of July, close to August. Grown as technical, reaching for cooking wines, juices, raisins and table grapes. The last found its spread in almost all natural zones of Crimea, except mountain. (www.perekop.info .rus)

Χερσόνησος Χερσόνησος

Centered and left of center are the images of Chersonesus.

Chersonesus (Ancient Greek: Χερσόνησος, translit. Khersónēsos; Latin: Chersonesus; modern Russian and Ukrainian: Херсонес, Khersones; also rendered as Chersonese, Chersonesos), in medieval Greek contracted to Cherson (Χερσών; Old East Slavic: Корсунь, Korsun) is an ancient Greek colony founded approximately 2,500 years ago in the southwestern part of the Crimean Peninsula. The colony was established in the 6th century BC by settlers from Heraclea Pontica.

The ancient city is located on the shore of the Black Sea at the outskirts of Sevastopol on the Crimean Peninsula, where it is referred to as Khersones. It has been nicknamed the "Ukrainian Pompeii". The site is now part of the National Preserve of Tauric Chersonesos. The name Chersonesos in Greek means "peninsula", and aptly describes the site on which the colony was established. It should not be confused with the Tauric Chersonese, the name often applied to the whole of the southern Crimea.

During much of the classical period Chersonesus was a democracy ruled by a group of elected Archons and a council called the Demiurgoi. As time passed the government grew more oligarchic, with power concentrated in the hands of the archons. A form of oath sworn by all the citizens since the III century BC has survived to the present day. In 2013, Chersonesus was listed as a World Heritage Site.

Chersonesus Bell

In the distance, under the arch, the Chersonesus bell is seen.

The Bell of Chersonesos, located close to the ruins of Chersonesos Taurica, Crimea (Disputed between Russia and Ukraine), is the symbol of Chersonesos and one of the main sights of Sevastopol. It was cast before the foundation of Sevastopol for the Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Church in Taganrog, which was the Russian Navy's military base at that time. It was later confiscated by the French, then returned.

The bell of Chersonesos or the fog bell of Chersonesos is sometimes considered as "one of Taganrog's sights located abroad", which even became a symbol of another city – of Sevastopol or, to be more exact, of Chersonesos Taurica.

Today's fog bell was cast in 1778 from the Turkish trophy cannons seized by the Russian Imperial Army during Russo-Turkish War (1768-1774). The bell features depictions of two patron saints of sailors, Saint Nicholas and Saint Phocas, and the following phrase on it can still be read today in Russian: "Сей колокол вылит в Святого Николая Чудотворца в Таганро… из пленен Турецкой артиллери […] весом […] пуд фу (нт) 1778 месяца Августа […] числа"., which translates as: "This bell was cast in the Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Church in Taganrog from the trophy Turkish artillery […] weight […] pounds. Year 1778, month of August, on the day of […]".

The bell was cast before the foundation of Sevastopol for the Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker Church in Taganrog, which was the Russian Navy's military base at that time. Until 1803 the St. Nicholas church was subordinated to the Navy ministry. After Sevastopol became the main Russian military navy base in the South of Russia, the Emperor Alexander I ordered the bell to be transported to Sevastopol to be fitted in the Church of St. Nicholas which was being constructed there, with other bells and church plates also given over to the city of Sevastopol.

During the Crimean War the fog bell was seized by the French and was placed in the cathedral of Notre-Dame of Paris. Many years later, a bell with a Russian inscription was found and finally, thanks to diplomatic efforts undertaken by both sides, and especially by the French consul in Sevastopol Louis Ge, the bell was solemnly returned to a monastery, situated at Chersonesos on September 13, 1913 and was placed on a temporary wooden belfry near the St. Vladimir Cathedral. The French President Raymond Poincaré in his letter to consul Louis Ge wrote that he returned the bell to Russia "as a sign of alliance and friendship". In their turn, the Russian government awarded the French consul the Order of St. Vladimir of the 4th degree.

The monastery was closed in 1925 by the communist authorities, and two years later all its bells were sent away to be recast. Only one bell escaped this fate because the Department of the Security of Navigation of the Black and Azov Seas proposed to place it on the coast as a signal fog bell. In this capacity the bell served until the 1960s.

Chersonesos mosaic

Also on the banknote is a mosaic, from the Byzantine church of Chersonesos, VI century AD.

The mosaic depicts a pigeon - a symbol of the holy spirit and the soul of man (the birds are enclosed in round medallions).

Denominations in numerals are in top left and lower right corners. In words - at the bottom.

Comments:

When creating banknotes issued in 2017 in 200 rubles and 2000 rubles, the font Segoe Ui from Microsoft was used.

The National Bank of Ukraine from October 17, 2017 banned operations with this banknote in banks, other financial institutions and post offices in Ukraine. This prohibition extends also to the commemorative 100-ruble note issued in 2015, dedicated to the admission of new subjects to the Russian Federation of the Republic of Crimea and the formation of new subjects in the Russian Federation - the Republic of Crimea and the city of federal significance of Sevastopol, as well as commemorative coins of the Bank of Russia, dedicated to the Crimea and Sevastopol.

Perm

Banknotes were printed in Perm. (Комсомольская правда .rus)