Top
header Notes Collection

1 Pound 1945, Southern Rhodesia

in Krause book Number: P10
Years of issue: 01.02.1945
Edition: --
Signatures: Member: Mr. John Morton Milne, Chairman: Mr. Arthur William Beadle
Serie: Series 1938 - 1952
Specimen of: 15.12.1939
Material: 100% raw cotton
Size (mm): 152 x 83
Printer: Bradbury, Wilkinson & Company Limited, New Malden

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Pound 1945

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The Rt. Hon. Cecil John Rhodes DCL (5 July 1853 - 26 March 1902) was a British businessman, mining magnate, and politician in South Africa. Rhodes was named the chairman of De Beers at the company's founding in 1888. De Beers, established with funding from NM Rothschild & Sons Limited in 1887, today markets 40% of the world's rough diamonds, and at one time marketed 90%. An ardent believer in British colonialism, Rhodes was the founder of the southern African territory of Rhodesia, which was named after him in 1895. South Africa's Rhodes University is also named after Rhodes. He set up the provisions of the Rhodes Scholarship, which is funded by his estate.

Avers:

1 Pound 1945

HM The King George VI.

George VI (Albert Frederick Arthur George, 14 December 1895 - 6 February 1952) was King of the United Kingdom and the Dominions of the British Commonwealth from 11 December 1936 until his death. He was the last Emperor of India and the first Head of the Commonwealth.

HM The King George VI

This engraving is done from the portrait by photographer Dorothy Wilding, made ​​in 1937, after the Coronation Day of His Majesty. The original portrait is now in the National Portrait Gallery, London.

coat of arms of Southern Rhodesia

On the top is the coat of arms of Southern Rhodesia.

Coat of arms depicts two black antelope, standing atop an earthen mound. Also located at the bottom of the inscription: Sit Nomine Digna (Maybe worthy of its name) associated with Rhodes. the shield golden hammer on a green background, indicating the extraction of natural resources, the basis of economic stability Rhodesia.

Great bird figurine from soapstone on top, found in the ruins of Great Zimbabwe.

Melsetter Melsetter

In lower left corner are the farms in Melsetter area (today - Chimanimani).

Chimanimani was founded by the brothers Thomas Moodie and Dunbar Moodie in 1892. In 1895 it was moved to its current site and was officially called Melsetter after Moodie's family home in Orkney in Scotland. Following Zimbabwe's independence in 1980, the name of the town was changed to Mandidzudzure, in 1982. However, after consultation with the population, the name was changed to Chimanimani.

Chimanimani is located in Chimanimani District, Manicaland Province, in south-eastern Zimbabwe, close to the border with Mozambique. The town lies about 120 kilometers (75 mi.), by road, south of Mutare, the location of the provincial headquarters. Its location lies approximately 365 kilometers (227 mi.), by road, southeast of Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe and the largest city in that country. The coordinates of the town of Chimanimani are:19° 48' 0.00"S, 32° 51' 36.00"E (Latitude:19.8000; Longitude:32.8600).

Despite a recent influx of Russian gem seekers, in late 2013 Chimanimani was said to have "virtually collapsed" and turned into a ghost town. Unemployment has recently peaked at unprecedented levels and tourism all but dissipated. So many shops have closed that residents are now commuting to Mutare for basic necessities.

Chimanimani has various nature-based attractions for visitors. The Bridal Veil picnic and camping site is located in a small national park about a 5km walk, or a short drive, from the village. The falls itself plunges 50 m. down a sheer rock face into a crystal clear pool. Close to the town are the Arboretum, Green Mount, and Pork Pie sanctuary,- all offering attractive walks.

The Chimanimani Mountains are a short 18 km. drive from the village. There are numerous hiking trails throughout the rugged Chimanimani range. Local guides are available. For adventure activities there is a Outward Bound centre nearby. It offers a range of activities and life-skill programs, accommodation and camping facilities, and access to the Paradise Pool. Other attractions in the Chimanimani Mountain range include the Nyakwaha and Haroni Botanical Reserves, as well as the Haroni and Mukurupiri waterfalls.

Chimanimani receives rainfall throughout the year. The average temperature is about 16 degrees.

The village is divided into 23 wards. Chimanimani West has 11 wards and its eastern counterpart has 12 wards. Major places in Chimanimani include Nyanyadzi, Gudyanga, Shinja, Mhakwe, Bechnough Bridge, Nhedziwa, Mutambara, Chikukwa, Chikwakwa, Sky Line, Outward bound, Copper, Ndima, Mutswangwa, Vhimba Wilderness and Hode.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words - centered.

Revers:

1 Pound 1945

great zimbabwe

Great Zimbabwe is a ruined city in the southeastern hills of Zimbabwe near Lake Mutirikwe and the town of Masvingo, close to the Chimanimani Mountains and the Chipinge District. It was the capital of the Kingdom of Zimbabwe during the country's Late Iron Age. Construction on the monument by ancestors of the Shona people began in the XI century and continued until the XIV century, spanning an area of 722 hectares (1,780 acres) which, at its peak, could have housed up to 18,000 people. It is recognized as a World Heritage Site by UNESCO.

Great Zimbabwe

Great Zimbabwe served as a royal palace for the Zimbabwean monarch and would have been used as the seat of political power. One of its most prominent features were the walls, some of which were over five meters high and which were constructed without mortar. Eventually the city was abandoned and fell into ruin.

The earliest known written mention of the ruins was in 1531 by Vicente Pegado, captain of the Portuguese garrison of Sofala, who recorded it as Symbaoe. The first visits by Europeans were in the late XIX century, with investigations of the site starting in 1871. Later, studies of the monument were controversial in the archaeological world, with political pressure being put upon archaeologists by the government of Rhodesia to deny its construction by black people. Great Zimbabwe has since been adopted as a national monument by the Zimbabwean government, and the modern independent state was named for it. The word "Great" distinguishes the site from the many hundreds of small ruins, now known as "zimbabwes", spread across the Zimbabwe Highveld. There are 200 such sites in southern Africa, such as Bumbusi in Zimbabwe and Manyikeni in Mozambique, with monumental, mortarless walls; Great Zimbabwe is the largest.

The sable antelope

On left side is The sable antelope (Hippotragus niger) from Rhodesia coat of arms. It is an antelope, which inhabits wooded savannah in East Africa south of Kenya, and in Southern Africa.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners, in words - at the bottom, centered.

Comments:

The pound was the currency of Southern Rhodesia. It also circulated in Northern Rhodesia and Nyasaland. The pound was subdivided into 20 shillings, each of 12 pence.

Prime Minister - Mr. Godfrey Martin Huggins (in office 12.9.1933 - 7.9.1953).