header Notes Collection
Top

5 Francs 1944, Algeria

in Krause book Number: 94а
Years of issue: 08.02.1944
Edition:
Signatures: L 'Inspecteur General: Camille Moyse, Le Caissier Principal: Frédéric Sebald
Serie: 1944 - 1945 Issue
Specimen of: 08.02.1944
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 97 x 59
Printer: Banque de France, Chamalieres

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

5 Francs 1944

Description

Watermark:

Avers:

5 Francs 1944

Kabyle girl Kabyle girl

On a banknote the Algerian girl of the Kabyle nationality (Berber group). Apparently, judging by the fact that this girl is present at different denominations of Algerian banknotes of the time, she serves as the personification of the country (like Marianne of France).

The Kabyle people (Kabyle: Iqvayliyen) are a Berber ethnic group native to Kabylia in the north of Algeria, one hundred miles east of Algiers. They represent the largest Berber-speaking population of Algeria and the second largest in the continent of Africa.

Many of the Kabyle have emigrated from Algeria, influenced by factors such as the earlier French conquest of the area, deportation, and latterly industrial decline and unemployment. Their diaspora has resulted in Kabyle people living in numerous countries. Large populations of Kabyle people settled in France and, to a lesser extent, Canada.

The Kabylians speak the Kabyle Berber language. Since the Berber Spring of 1980, they have been at the forefront of the fight for the official recognition of Berber languages in Algeria.

Denomination in numeral is in lower left corner, in words - on top.

Revers:

5 Francs 1944

heque

In the foreground Algerian woman in a scarf "Hayek", with a tray of fruit.

For Algeria, it is the white color that is peculiar, is traditional for women's outerwear. That is why the classic hayek will be mostly bright.

Hayek (heque, hayque, alhaique, haiique, haic, haiik) - traditional Algerian outerwear.

To Hayek often, but not always, is attached Ajar, in classical Arabic is called El-Tan. A light piece of cloth on the string or rubber, often embroidered or embossed. Serves to cover the lower part of the face.

In fact, Hayek is such a white (light) large cloth, which today, decently, is given, mainly, to the wedding. In fact, it is very simply to drape in it - no needles or strings are used. But you can do nodes. There are several ways of draping and wearing. It is also possible to use one end of a hayek as a purse, a knot was made on the end of the fabric, and money was in the bundle.

It is put on top of home clothes or some dress, used not for outside wear, at the entrance to the guest house or your own women taking it off.

The inscription in lower right corner: "Banque de l'Algérie; Cinq Francs; L'Article 139 du Code Pénal Punit des Travaux - Forcés a Perpétuité le Contrefacteur".

In English: "Bank of Algeria; Five francs; Article 139 of the Penal Code Punishes Work - Forced Perpetuity the Forger."

harbor harbor harbor

Against the background is the harbor of the port of Algiers (the capital of the country), the Admiralty lighthouse and the Admiralty building.

Lighthouse Penon, also known as Amirauté (Admiralty), built in 1834 (laid earlier 1700), height 16 meters.

It is also a fortress of the XVI century in the center of the Admiralty (Amirauté) - a complex of historical buildings, and was connected, initially, with several small islands, near the coast. In Arabic, this stronghold was simply called "El Djazaïr" ("islands"); "Alger" and "Algeria" are a distortion of this Arabic name. The lighthouse itself is located on a small island, which today connects with the mainland road.

harbor harbor

The original Spanish port was destroyed and rebuilt by Khair-ad-Din Barbarossa (circa 1478-1546), a pirate of Greek-Turkish descent, an Ottoman admiral and a Pasha of Algeria. The French significantly expanded the port and occupied the Palais de l'Amirauté (Admiralty Palace) in a neo-Mauritanian style. In the Bedeker guidebook of the 1911 edition of the Mediterranean, Seaports and Sea Routes: A Guide to Travelers, the following is said: "You can cross Rampe de l'Amirauté and walk along the old wharf of Khair al-Din." This ancient quay, or pier, connects old French port on the mainland (once the Turkish sea gate) with the former island of Penon, which later became "Presqu'île de l'Amirauté, Admiralty peninsula".

Denomination in numeral is on right side.

Comments:

Designer: Clement Serveau.

Obverse engraver: Emile Deloche.

Reverse engraver: Rita.