header Notes Collection
Top

100 Mark 1900, The Kingdom of Bavaria, Germany

Hans-Ludwig Grabowski Katalog. Band 10. Number: Bay3
Years of issue: 01.01.1900
Edition: 2 202 279
Signatures: Soeder, Ruf, Neidert, Wagner, Keller, Zobel
Serie: Bayerische Notenbank
Specimen of: 01.01.1900
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 158 х 102
Printer: Giesecke und Devrient GmbH, Leipzig

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Mark 1900, The Kingdom of Bavaria

Description

Watermark:

5 Mark 1948

Inscription: "Bayer Notenbank 100".

Avers:

100 Mark 1900, The Kingdom of Bavaria

On left side is personification of The Bavarian Central Bank: sitting female figure with attributes - Libra (justice) and cornucopia (allegory of wealth). At her feet are money sacks with gold coins. Nearby is Hermes or Mercury as boy (allegory of trade), at his feet: gear, hammer and anvil (allegories of industry). Behind him is the anchor - allegory of sea transport. On right side are the allegories of agriculture: sitting female figure with boy. The boy holds in his hand a basket of apples (an allegory of fertility). At his feet are: a rake, plow, scythe (agriculture).

Near female figure are the sickle and a sheaf of wheat.

bayerisches Staatswappen bayerisches Staatswappen

Bavarian coat of arms from 1835 with the Lion of Veldenz. It also depicts: the Palatine Lion, the Franconian Rake and the Margraviate of Burgau as well as the Bavarian lozenges in the inescutcheon. These arms held their place until the end of the monarchy.

Quarterly: i, Sable, a lion rampant double queued or,

crowned gules (Palatinate of the Rhine); 2, per fesse dancette gules and argent

(Franken) ; 3, bendy sinister of six argent and gules, a pale or (Burgau) ;

4, argent, a lion rampant azure, crowned or (Veldenz) ; over all on an inescutcheon

the arms of Bavaria fusilly bendy argent and azure. Supporters - two lions regardant queue fourche proper, crowned or.

Denominations in numerals are in top corners and centered, in words - centered.

Revers:

100 Mark 1900, The Kingdom of Bavaria

Frame with ornamentation, right and left ornaments. Leaves of acanthus.

Comments:

The Bavarian Central Bank, founded in 1875, is one of the few central banks in the German Empire that issued banknotes in addition to the Reichsbank: Badische Bank, Saxon Bank and Württembergische Bank. In 1900, the Bavarian Central Bank issued a 100-mark note as the second issue. The Leipzig-based company Giesecke & Devrient was commissioned with the production. The score was based on the 100-mark bill of 1875, the first issue of the Bavarian Central Bank. But the bill showed an innovation, the so-called show-rim. Where the watermark was located, the paper was not printed. Thus, the watermarks, above "Bavarian central bank" and below "100", were more easily recognized.

5 Mark 1948

Designer: Eugen Johann Georg Klimsch (November 29, 1839, Frankfurt am Main - July 9, 1896, Frankfurt am Main) was a German painter and illustrator.

He came from a family of entrepreneurs and artists of Frankfurt am Main - was the eldest son of the artist Ferdinand Karl Klimsch and Margaret Henrietta Schultz. The artists Carl Ferdinand Klimsh and Ludwig Klimsh were his brothers.

My father taught Eugene, from childhood, painting techniques and developed his talent. Later, Eugene Johann studied from 1852 to 1855 at the Higher Commercial School, and then, in 1859, at the City Art Institute in Frankfurt am Main.

Then he studied, from 1860 to 1865, at the Munich Academy of Fine Arts, with Professor Andreas Müller, known as "Komponiermüller".

Müller called Evgeny's interest in work as an illustrator and graphic artist, as evidenced by the numerous works of this period.

Evgeniy developed, in his Munich time, a lot of diplomas, decorative postcards and posters. From 1895 to 1897 he was a student of René Reinick.

After his studies he returned, in 1865, to Frankfurt, where he taught at the local school of applied art. He was also in the commission for the decoration of private villas, cafes and public buildings.

Among them were: the Great Hall of the Frankfurt Palm Garden and various rooms of the passenger ships of the company "Bremer Lloyd Reederei", which Yevgeny Klimsh designed allegorically, in the style of old masters.

He mastered the styles of Dutch painting of the XVII century, French Rococo and Imperial style. The greatest successes he achieved as an illustrator of children's books and fairy tales, as well as classical works such as Goethe's work "Poetry and Truth", in the fifth edition,

published by the German publishing house in Stuttgart. Klimsh also painted miniatures on parchment. In 1889 he was awarded the title of professor.

In 1895, he took over, until his death in 1896, the leadership of the Städel art school in Frankfurt am Main.