header Notes Collection
Top

2 Dollars 2016, Barbados

in Krause book Number: 73
Years of issue: 15.12.2016
Edition:
Signatures: Governor: Dr. DeLisle Worrell (2009 - 2017)
Serie: 2013 Issue
Specimen of: 02.05.2013
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 x 65
Printer: De la Rue currency,Loughton

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

2 Dollars 2016

Description

Watermark:

watermark

John Redman Bovell, denomination 2 and cornerstones.

Avers:

2 Dollars 2016

John Redman Bovell (1855-1928) made a significant contribution to the economy of Barbados XIX century.

In order to understand the significance of his achievements, you need to plunge into the history of the island.

Like most of the Caribbean islands, the local population was completely sent into slavery and destroyed. After the conquistadors, the island was completely uninhabited for a long time, the first British settlers appeared only in 1626. Then a huge number of slaves were brought to the island, which they began to use on sugar plantations. Business went well, but in the 1880s, the sugar industry of Barbados was threatened by the growing competition with European countries (sugar beet) every year. The competition was supplemented by drought and disease, which strongly affected the reed harvest in the West Indies. It was during this difficult period that John Bovell stepped onto the stage and experimented with various varieties of sugar cane at his own expense. His experiments proved successful, making Barbados the world capital of cane breeding. John Bovell experimented with cotton, but the results were not as successful as with reeds.

Bovell’s agricultural work and research earned him the appointment as Agricultural Superintendent of sugar cane experiments, as well as the Imperial Service Star (1908) for his contribution to tropical agriculture.

coat

In top left corner is the coat of arms.

The coat of arms of Barbados was adopted on 14 February 1966 by royal warrant of Queen Elizabeth II. The coat of arms of Barbados was presented by the Queen to the President of the Senate, Sir Grey Massiah. Like other former British possessions in the Caribbean, the coat of arms has a helmet with a national symbol on top, and a shield beneath that is supported by two animals.

The arms were designed by Neville Connell, for many years curator of the Barbados Museum, with artistic assistance by Hilda Ince.

The national symbol found on top of the helmet for Barbados is the fist of a Barbadian holding two stalks of sugar cane, that are crossed to resemble St. Andrew's Cross. This is representative of the importance of the sugar industry as well as Barbados celebrating its national independence day on St. Andrew's Day.

The shield is gold in colour. Upon it are a pair of the national flower, known as the Pride of Barbados, and a single bearded fig tree (Ficus citrifolia). The shield is supported by a dolphin fish and a pelican. They stand for the fishing industry and Pelican Island, respectively.

At the bottom is Barbados' national motto ("Pride and Industry") on a scroll.

On background and as seen-through image are the tridents.

The trident symbol was taken from Barbados' colonial badge, where the trident of Poseidon is shown with Britannia holding it. The broken lower part symbolizes a symbolic break from its status as a colony. The three points of the trident represent the three principles of democracy: 1) government of the people, 2) government for the people, and 3) government by the people.

map

On background is the map of Barbados.

Denominations in numerals are in top left and lower right corners, in words centered.

Revers:

2 Dollars 2016

sugar mill

Morgan Lewis Windmill, St. Andrew, Barbados is the last sugar windmill to operate in Barbados. The mill stopped operating in 1947. In 1962 the mill was given to the Barbados National Trust by its owner Egbert L. Bannister for preservation as a museum.

The site was listed in the 1996 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund. Restoration began by the Barbados National Trust during the following summer. In 1997, financial support was provided by American Express for emergency repairs. The mill was dismantled for restoration, and reopened in 1999. With all its original working parts having been preserved intact, the sails were able to turn again after the project was completed, and cane was ground again after more than half a century.

It is one of only two working sugar windmills in the world today. During the "crop" season, February through July, its sails are put in place and it operates one Sunday in each month, grinding cane and providing cane juice. Around the interior of the mill wall is a museum of sugar mill and plantation artefacts, and an exhibition of old photographs. Visitors can climb to the top of the mill.

Denominations in numerals are in top corners, in words - at the bottom.

Comments: