header Notes Collection
Top

100 Tolarjev 1992, Slovenia

in Krause book Number: 14
Years of issue: 30.09.1992
Edition: --
Signatures: Guverner: France Arhar, Član Sveta Banke: Janez Košak
Serie: 1992 Issue
Specimen of: 15.01.1992
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 138 x 69
Printer: De la Rue currency,Gateshead

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Tolarjev 1992

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Rihard Jakopič.

Avers:

100 Tolarjev 1992

Rihard Jakopič

Rihard Jakopič (12 April 1869 – 21 April 1943) was a Slovene painter. He was the leading Slovene Impressionist painter, patron of arts and theoretician. Together with Matej Sternen, Matija Jama and Ivan Grohar, he is considered the pioneer of Slovene Impressionist painting.

Rihard Jakopič was born in Krakovo, a suburb of Ljubljana, the capital of Carniola in the Austria–Hungary, now Slovenia. His father, Franc Jakopič, was a well-situated tradesman with agricultural goods. His mother was Neža, née Dolžan. Rihard was the youngest of eight children.

Jakopič studied at the intermediate secondary school from 1879-1887. After passing an entry exam, he attended the Academy of Fine Arts in Vienna, for a short time returned home due to an illness, and then resumed his studies in 1888. In 1889, he entered the Academy of Fine Arts in Munich and in 1890, the Ažbe Art School in Munich. Then he lived in Ljubljana, where he participated in the establishment of the Slovene Art Society, and after 1902 in Škofja Loka. In 1903, he continued his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Prague. Jakopič returned to Ljubljana in 1906. He was one of the early members of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts, founded in 1938.

Jakopič died at his home in Ljubljana at 1:45 pm on 21 April 1943 after a long and difficult illness. A wake was held at his residence at New Square (Novi trg) no. 2, and he was buried at Holy Cross Cemetery (now Žale Cemetery) on 23 April 1943 after a ceremony at 3:30 pm at Saint Joseph's Chapel.

The profile silhouette filled up with microwriting completes the image. In the middle of the left hand area of the banknote a painting palette and two paintbrushes are depicted.

Denominations in numerals are at the bottom and in top right corner. In words - centered.

Revers:

100 Tolarjev 1992

Study of the Sun

In left part of banknote are the elements of Jakopič painting "Study of the Sun", 1905.

Jakopič Pavilion

Centered is the Jakopič Pavilion.

The Jakopič Pavilion (Slovene: Jakopičev paviljon) was an art gallery in Ljubljana, the first purpose-built art exhibition venue in the territory of modern Slovenia. It was built in 1908 by the painter Rihard Jakopič upon the plans of the architect Max Fabiani. The pavilion stood at the beginning of the Latterman Avenue in Tivoli Park. Until World War II, it was the central exhibition place of Slovene visual artists, presenting exhibitions from the fields of painting, sculpture and photography.

Jakopič financed the construction of the building at his own expense, because he was convinced that an artist needs a constant contact with the public. Fabiani arranged plans for it gratuituously, and the city of Ljubljana leased him the estate at a symbolic price. The pavilion was built in the Vienna Secession style. It had a foyer with the great hall, on the left side it had a room for permanent exhibitions and a small studio, and on the right side it housed a drawing and painting school.

The building was solemnly opened on 12 June 1909 with the 3rd Slovene Art Exhibition, which presented 172 paintings and 20 statues of 22 artists. The following year Jakopič organised a survey exhibition titled 80 Years of Visual Arts in the Slovene Lands.

Due to the lack of money, the pavilion was bought in 1923 by the city, which gave it to the National Gallery of Slovenia. In 1954 the pavilion was renovated.

In December 1961 and January 1962 the pavilion was, despite avid protests, demolished due to the construction of the Ljubljana–Sežana railway line. This left the Jakopič Pavilion without its headquarters. In 1962, the institution was renamed to Ljubljana City Art Museum and the construction of a new headquarters building started at 5 Town Square.

Denominations in numerals are at the bottom and in top right corner. In words - centered.

Comments:

Designer: Miljenko Licul and coauthors.

Painter of the portrait: Rudi Španzel.

The banknote printed on paper, made in Slovenian city Radeče.