header Notes Collection
Top

1000 Dollars 2009, Guyana

in Krause book Number: 37
Years of issue: 2009
Edition: 20 967 078
Signatures: Governor: Lawrence Theodore Williams, Minister of Finance: Ashni Singh
Serie: 2005 Issue
Specimen of: 03.2006
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 156 х 65
Printer: De la Rue currency,Gateshead

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1000 Dollars 2009

Description

Watermark:

watermark

The scarlet macaw (Ara macao) and minimized map of Guyana. Cornerstones.

Ara macao

The scarlet macaw (Ara macao) is a large red, yellow, and blue South American parrot, a member of a large group of Neotropical parrots called macaws. It is native to humid evergreen forests of tropical South America. Range extends from south-eastern Mexico to the Peruvian Amazon, Colombia, Bolivia, Venezuela and Brazil in lowlands up to 500 m. (1,640 ft.) (at least formerly) up to 1,000 m. (3,281 ft.). It has suffered from local extinction through habitat destruction and capture for the parrot trade, but locally it remains fairly common. Formerly it ranged north to southern Tamaulipas. It can still be found on the island of Coiba. It is the national bird of Honduras.

Avers:

1000 Dollars 2009

logo

Centered, on background is the logo of the Bank of Guyana:

The top left division depicts the Rice Industry.

The top right division depicts the Timber Industry.

The bottom left division depicts the Ship Building Industry.

The bottom right division depicts the Minerals of Guyana. (www.bankofguyana.org.gy)

map map

On right side is the map of the economic activity of Guyana from 2005.

Denominations in numerals are in three corners corners, in words - centered.

Revers:

1000 Dollars 2009

bank

The Bank of Guyana building.

The Bank of Guyana building was constructed by the contracting firm "Taylor Woodrow International Limited". The building was completed on October 11, 1965 and was officially opened on October 15, 1965. The architects were "W. H. Watkins and Partners", in consultation with the Building Division of the Ministry of Works and Hydraulics. (www.bankofguyana.org.gy)

Cenotaph

In front of the Bank building is Georgetown cenotaph.

The Georgetown Cenotaph is a war memorial in Georgetown, Guyana, located at the junction of Main and Church Streets.

The Cenotaph was unveiled on August 14, 1923, by the then Governor, Graeme Thomson, and the first Armistice Day observance took place at the Church Street Monument on 11 November 1923. On the four faces of the base of the Cenotaph are inscribed the four words - Devotion, Humanity, Fortitude, and Sacrifice.

The Cenotaph is a national memorial to Guyanese soldiers who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. Guyanese soldiers served and fought in such far off places as Egypt, France, Belgium, and East Africa.

After the end of the Second World War in 1945, Armistice Day was renamed Remembrance Day or Remembrance Sunday, and observed on the first or second Sunday of November. Since 1956, it was internationally agreed to observe Remembrance Day on the second Sunday of November.

Before 1923, the site where the Cenotaph now stands was occupied by an ornate drinking fountain which was erected in 1867 to mark the completion of the Water Works in 1866. That drinking fountain, no longer functional, now stands on the green opposite St. Rose's High School in Church Street, just a few hundred feet from its original location.

Denominations in numerals are in all corners. In words - at the bottom.

Comments: