header Notes Collection
Top

1 Pound 1955, Israel

in Krause book Number: 25a
Years of issue: 27.10.1955
Edition: --
Signatures: Governor of the Bank: Mr. David Horowitz; Chairman of the Advisory Council: Mr. S. Hoofien
Serie: The first series of Israeli lira 1955
Specimen of: 27.10.1955
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 135 x 74
Printer: TDLR (Thomas de la Rue & Company), London

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

1 Pound 1955

Description

Watermark:

Watermark

Seven-branched candelabrum with an imprint of Anemone coronaria.

Avers:

1 Pound 1955

Upper Galilee

On banknote is the view at Upper Galilee, river Jordan. Behind the river is - kibbutz Sde Nehemia.

The area around the upper reaches of the Jordan have been settled since Biblical times, when it first belonged to the Tribes of Asher and Menashe, and at a later stage to the Tribe of Dan. Since the First Aliya during the 1880s, many new Jewish agricultural settlements were established, utilizing the benefits of an abundant supply of Jordan River water and a near-tropical climate.

Now a little more about it:

The Jordan River (also River Jordan; Hebrew: נְהַר הַיַּרְדֵּן‎ Nahar ha-Yarden; Arabic: نَهْر الْأُرْدُنّ‎‎ Nahr al-Urdun, Ancient Greek: Ιορδάνης, Iordànes) is a 251-kilometer (156 mi.)-long river in the Middle East that flows roughly north to south through the Sea of Galilee and on to the Dead Sea. Israel and the West Bank border the river to the west, while the Golan Heights and Jordan lie to its east. Both Jordan and the West Bank take their names from the river.

The river has a major significance in Judaism and Christianity. This is the site where the Israelites crossed into the Promised Land and where Jesus of Nazareth was baptised by John the Baptist.

The borders of the historical Upper Galilee were the Litani River in the north, the Mediterranean Sea in the west, the Beit Ha-Kerem Valley and the Lower Galilee in the south and the Jordan River and the Hula Valley in the east.

In modern Israeli terminology, the term Upper Galilee is used mainly in relation to the northern part of Galilee, which is under Israeli sovereignty.

שְׂדֵה נְחֶמְיָה שְׂדֵה נְחֶמְיָה

Sde Nehemia (Hebrew: שְׂדֵה נְחֶמְיָה‎, lit. Nehemia's Field) (Sde Nehemya) is a kibbutz in northern Israel. Located in the Upper Galilee, it falls under the jurisdiction of Upper Galilee Regional Council. In 2016 it had a population of 1,159.

The Banias and Hasbani Rivers converge on the grounds of the kibbutz.

Sde Nehemia was founded on 19 December 1940 by immigrants from Austria, the Netherlands and Czechoslovakia, on land bought from the Arab village of al-Dawwara. It was originally known as Kvutzat Huliot, but later renamed after Nehemia de Lieme, a Dutch banker and Zionist activist who served as head of the Jewish National Fund.

In the early days of the kibbutz, the pioneers lived in tents in the midst of malaria-infested swampland. One of them, Yehuda Abas, a physician, distributed anti-malarial pills free of charge to the local Arab population but discovered they were being cut into four and sold for large sums of money to Arabs from Syria and Lebanon. Abas's solution was to introduce injections.

Rafael Reiss from Sde Nehemia was one of seven parachutists sent into Nazi-occupied Europe in 1944. He was captured by the Nazis and executed on 20 November 1944.

In May, 1948, the kibbutz requested, "somewhat shamefacedly", 1,700 dunams of land from the newly depopulated Palestinian village of Al-'Abisiyya.

Located in the fertile Hula Valley between the Golan Heights and Lebanon, agriculture is a significant source of income. The kibbutz also owns a plastics factory, Huliot, a leading manufacturer of pipe systems and plastic products. Huliot specializes in flow products for water supply, drainage, sewage and greywater recycling which it sells on the local and global markets. The factory was established in 1947.

Anémone coronária

Anemone coronaria, poppy anemone, Spanish marigold, windflower, is a species of flowering plant in the genus Anemone, native to the Mediterranean region.

Anemone coronaria is a herbaceous perennial tuberous plant growing to 20-40 cm. tall, rarely to 60 cm. (0.75–1.50 feet), spreading to 15-23 cm. (0.50 to 0.75 feet), with a basal rosette of a few leaves, the leaves with three leaflets, each leaflet deeply lobed. The flowers which bloom from April to June are borne singly on a tall stem with a whorl of small leaves just below the flower; the flower is 3-8 cm. diameter, with 5-8 red (but may be white or blue) showy petal-like tepals and a black center. The pollen is dry, has an unsculpted exine, is less than 40 nm. in diameter, and is usually deposited within 1.5 m. of its source. This central mound consists of tightly packed pistils in the center, with a crown-like ring of stamens surrounding this, which gives the species its name. The flowers produce 200-300 seeds. The plants form hard black tubers as storage organs.

Eastern Mediterranean littoral, from Greece, southern Turkey and Syria to Israel with sporadic extension east to northern Iraq and west along the Mediterranean shores of Italy, southern France and North Africa. Anemone coronaria grows wild all over the region of Palestine, including Israel, Jordan, Lebanon and Syria.

The denomination "One Israeli Pound" and "Bank of Israel" in Hebrew.​

Revers:

1 Pound 1955

An abstract design; the denomination "One Israeli Pound" and "Bank of Israel" in Arabic and English.​

Comments:

First own money the state of Israel. At the initiative of the first Governor of the Bank of Israel David Horowitz, and with the assistance of a special committee chaired by S.Hufien, developed the first series of Israeli banknotes. The Committee decided to use in the design of banknotes the Israeli landscapes. The design of banknotes was entrusted by the artists of TDLR (banknotes were printed at its factory).

Put into circulation on October 27, 1955.

Withdrawn March 31, 1984.