header Notes Collection
Top

100 Kronur 1990, Faeroe Islands

in Krause book Number: 21e
Years of issue: 1990
Edition: --
Signatures: Ríkisumboðið (Danish High Commissioner): Bent Klinte, Føroya Landsstýri (Prime - Minister): Jógvan Sundstein
Serie: 1978 - 1986 Issue
Specimen of: 1978
Material: Cotton fiber
Size (mm): 150 x 78
Printer: Banknote Printing Works and The Royal Danish Mint, Copenhagen

* All pictures marked magnify are increased partially by magnifying glass, the remaining open in full size by clicking on the image.

** The word "Specimen" is present only on some of electronic pictures, in accordance with banknote images publication rules of appropriate banks.

100 Kronur 1990

Description

Watermark:

watermark

Anchor chain.

Avers:

100 Kronur 1990

Venceslaus Ulricus Hammershaimb Venceslaus Ulricus Hammershaimb

Venceslaus Ulricus Hammershaimb (March 25, 1819 – April 4, 1909) was a Faroese Lutheran minister, who established the modern orthography of Faroese, the language of the Faroe Islands, based on the Icelandic language, which like Faroese, derives from Old Norse.

Hammershaimb was born in Sandavágur on the island of Vágar in the Faroe Islands. He was a Lutheran parish priest in Kvívík and a rural dean in Nes, on the Faroese island of Eysturoy, before settling in Denmark in 1878. In addition to his contributions to the written standard of Faroese, he was also a known folklorist. During the years 1847-1848, and again in 1853, he returned to the Faroes to study the dialects and to collect the native ballads and folklore, which he published in 1851–55 under the title of Færöiske Kvæder. In 1854, he published a grammar of Faroese.

At one point, the language spoken in the Faroe Islands was Old West Norse, which Norwegian settlers had brought with them. Between the 9th and the XV centuries, a distinct Faroese language evolved, although it was still intelligible to speakers of Old West Norse. It would have been closely related to the Norn language of Orkney and Shetland. However, for some 300 years until the 19th century, under the dual kingdom of Denmark–Norway, Danish was the language of religion, education, and administration in the Faroe Islands.

Hammershaimb created his spelling system for Faroese in 1846. It was etymological, with the vowels based on written Icelandic, rather than phonetically descriptive (as in for example Welsh.) For instance, the letter Eth (Ð) has no phonemes attached to it. In this Hammershaimb had accepted the advice of the Icelandic independence leader Jón Sigurðsson, who had seen the manuscript for his "Bemerkninger med Hensyn til den Færøiske Udtale" (Notes with Respect to Faroese Pronunciation); Hammershaimb considered that despite its artificiality, this was the only approach that would overcome the problems of differing dialects in the islands. Hammershaimb's orthography met with some opposition for its complexity. In 1889 Jakob Jakobsen proposed modifying Hammershaimb's system to bring it closer to the spoken language, but a committee charged with considering the proposal in 1895 advocated only minor revisions, and Hammershaimb's orthography remained in force. In 1886–91 Hammershaimb published his principal work, Færøsk Anthologi; it incorporated an account of the islands and their inhabitants, a variety of prose and verse in the Faroese language, and a grammar, and in the second volume a lexicon by Jakobsen.

A new, national written literature in Faroese became possible only after the language’s orthography was normalized. Its development was promoted by nationalist agitation, which hastened the restoration of the Faroese Parliament in 1852 and the end of the Danish royal trade monopoly in 1856. During the late 19th century modern Faroese literature began to appear and the first Faroese newspaper, Føringatíðindi, appeared in 1890. Faroese literature came into its own after the turn of the 20th century. After World War II, Faroese became the official language of the Faroe Islands.

Denominations in numerals are repeated 3 times (and on red background), in words - centered.

Revers:

100 Kronur 1990

Kirkjubøur Kirkjubøur Kirkjubøur

The motif on the reverse is a watercolor of the view of the ruined St. Magnus Cathedral in village Kirkjubøur, on island Streymoy. On background are - island Hestur (left) and island Koltur (right).

St. Magnus Cathedral is a ruined cathedral in the village of Kirkjubøur on the island of Streymoy in the Faroe Islands. Bishop Erlendur started construction in about the year 1300. However, the building was never completed, because it was never roofed. The cathedral remains in an unfinished state to this day. St. Magnus Cathedral is the largest medieval building in the Faroe Islands.

Conservation work on the Cathedral started in 1997, as it became clear that the ruin was deteriorating at a rapid pace, with more and more mortar falling away due to the elements, mostly from rain, but also salty sea air and sea water.

During 2002-2004, a wooden shed was erected around most of the ruin, giving it enough shelter to dry out, before work could begin on preservation. The shed drew considerable criticism because of its looks.

During the research into how to preserve the ruin, a conclusion was reached. No outward reconstruction would be made, and instead ongoing preservation work would be implemented, where the mortar would be reinforced from time to time. In addition, all horizontal surfaces, where water could seep in, would be "soft capped" with mortar and clay before being topped with sod and grass. This work began in 2010.

Today considerable headway has been made. Large sections of the shedding have been removed and work is expected to be finished in the not too distant future.

While it is hoped that the St. Magnus Cathedral will be accepted as a UNESCO World heritage Site, the prospect is not very certain.

Kirkjubøur

Pictures of the ruins of the St. Magnus Cathedral were featured on a series of Faroese stamps in 1988.

Kirkjubøur (Danish: Kirkebø) is the southernmost village on Streymoy, Faroe Islands and the country's most important historical site with the ruins of the Magnus Cathedral from around 1300, the Saint Olav's Church from XII century and the old farmhouse Kirkjubøargarður from XI century. In 1832 a runestone was found near the Magnus Cathedral in Kirkjubøur. The stone which is referred to as the Kirkjubøur stone dates back to the Viking Ages.

The village is located on the south-west coast of Streymoy and has a view towards the islands Hestur and Koltur towards west and to Sandoy towards south.

The little islet just of the coast, Kirkjubøhólmur contains an eiderduck colony.

To the village belongs the islet Trøllhøvdi, just 100 m of the northern tip of Sandoy 9 km away from Kirkjubø, it was given as payment to the villagers as it was their duty to ferry people across to Sandoy in medieval times.

Streymoy (Danish: Strømø) is the largest and most populated island of the Faroe Islands. The capital, Tórshavn, is located on its east coast. The name means "island of currents". It also refers to the largest region of the country that also includes the islands of Hestur, Koltur and Nólsoy.

Hestur (Danish: Hestø) is an island in the central Faroe Islands, to the west of Streymoy and the south of Koltur. Hestur means horse in Faroese.

On the west coast is a guillemot colony. In the north there is moorland with four small lakes, of which Fagradalsvatn is the largest. At Hælur, Hestur's southernmost tip, there is a lighthouse. The island has one settlement, a village also named Hestur on the east coast. The village enjoys the view over Gamlarætt and Velbastaður on Streymoy.

Koltur (Danish: Kolter) is an island in the Faroe Islands, located to the west of Streymoy and to the north-west of Hestur. The name "Koltur" means "colt", in contrast with the name of the larger island to the south-east, 'Hestur', which means "horse". The island has just one settlement, Koltur. It was abandoned in the 1980s by the sheep-farmers whose flocks grazed on the southern part of the island. Since then only two people have returned (in 1994). Koltur has two mountains, Kolturshamar (478 m.) and Fjallið (101 m.) which strictly speaking is not a mountain, the name however translates directly as "The Mountain" and is considered by many as the smallest mountain in the country.

The island supports 160 adult sheep.

On orange background are the words "Føroyar" repeated.

Denominations in numerals are in lower left and top right corners.

Comments:

Many many thanks to Mr. Jens Kjeld Jensen, from Faeroe islands, for information about image on reverse of banknote!